What's new

TCL 65R617 55" 4K Smart LED TV (horizontal lines issue) (1 Viewer)

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
tl;dr I am having horizontal lines appear on start up, shut down, when I adjust the volume, or change inputs.

SETUP:
Devices

TCL 65R617 55" 4K Smart LED TV (2018)
Denon AVRS730H 7.2 Channel AV Receiver
Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Roku Streaming Stick+

Speakers (7.1)
2 Floor Standing Mirage Speakers
1 Center Speaker Mirage
2 Surround Speakers Mirage
2 Surround Back Klipsch Speakers
1 Sub Woofer Mirage (22000hz~10hz)

PROBLEM:
I have everything going through the Denon receiver. After an initial fine tuning and setup tweaking everything was working fantastically. Now, all of a sudden for no discernible reason that I can tell, I am seeing multiple horizontal lines appear. They are rather thick lines that almost appear like "static" lines. And they don't span the entire TV screen, several of them appear at various, random, points. I'd say they are about anywhere from 5-10" in length and usually appear in clusters of around 5 total lines or so.

They seem to come and go but never happen once the TV is warmed up and running full steam. They seem to correlate with turning the system on or off, changing the main volume, or changing inputs. These lines are pretty dramatic and never in the same locations on the screen. They never appear while I'm in the middle of watching something whether roku, blu-ray, or whatever. They just pop up when I make changes and then go away. Could it be something as simple as the cable going bad? But everything (including all cables) are virtually brand new? I checked all the connections and they all seem secure. Any help or suggestions?

Thanks,
D

PS - I thought about trying to take a picture but they don't always happen and when they do happen it never last long, a few seconds (at most) and then they are gone.

Last edited:

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
I have no problem ignoring them because once I'm watching something they never appear. But what I fear is long term damage? Do you think I could safely ignore them?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I'd consider calling in to get warranty repair folks to look at it. I hear they are a bit tougher to deal with (TCL) but may be worth checking before warranty runs out.

My TCL only lasted a little over a year (55" 4K 4 series)

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
We're not sure. Images on most sources started to smear and the screen started to looked washed out. Tech came out and ordered a new main board thinking that would fix, but it didn't . He called it in as unrepairable and I ended up with a new Hisense since it was a Walmart Extended warranty so I had limited choices to replace the TCL with.

I do recall repair guy saying that lines on the TV could be sign of the T-Con board going out.

Sample of what my parts were: https://www.shopjimmy.com/tcl-55us5800-55us5800taaa-version-complete-tv-repair-kit.htm

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
We're not sure. Images on most sources started to smear and the screen started to looked washed out. Tech came out and ordered a new main board thinking that would fix, but it didn't . He called it in as unrepairable and I ended up with a new Hisense since it was a Walmart Extended warranty so I had limited choices to replace the TCL with.

I do recall repair guy saying that lines on the TV could be sign of the T-Con board going out.

Sample of what my parts were: https://www.shopjimmy.com/tcl-55us5800-55us5800taaa-version-complete-tv-repair-kit.htm

I read a few reviews on the 5 and 6 series having banding issues as well. They also mentioned that customer service with TCL is awful.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To avoid TCL customer service, I got Best Buy’s five year protection plan. Includes in home service and was only $120. Seemed like a no brainer given the complaints I had heard about customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks