What's new

Pre-Order The Prize (1963) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
THE PRIZE (1963)
NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER
Run Time 135:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English
Aspect Ratio 2.35:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Feature: Theatrical Trailer (HD)
Top writers, scientists and leaders converge annually on Stockholm to take part in the awarding of the prestigious Nobel Prizes. This year, however, some honorees will find the great event eclipsed by a greater challenge: staying alive. Paul Newman is up to his famed baby blues in danger and intrigue as Andrew Craig, a hard-drinking author and Nobel winner for literature. At first dismissive of the award and only interested in the cash it brings, Craig finds his writerly instincts and wit sharpened when he senses the physics prize winner (Edward G. Robinson) is an impostor. He sets out to expose the hoax, free-falling into a Cold War ploy of secrets, pursuits, subterfuge and assassins adapted for the screen (from Irving Wallace’s...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
WAC is apparently breaking with tradition and announcing titles in December. Bring 'em on!

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
What an odd movie THE PRIZE is. Watched it not long ago on Warner Archive streaming and was a bit put off by Newman's character in the film.

Also the other announcements today, TARZAN GOES TO INDIA, THE GIANT BEHEMOTH and JUDGEMENT NIGHT, I'm a bit surprised that these are making it to Blu-ray ahead of so many other titles you'd think would be bigger sellers. Of course there are many who say similar things almost every month at announcement time, because you can't please everybody.

And don't get me wrong, I don't dislike these films (I may even buy some of them) it's just that with the entire classic MGM, RKO and Warner Bros libraries at their disposal, I never would have thought of these four pictures for Blu-ray. I'm sure each film has its fans, but how many I wonder?

I'll bet THE GIANT BEHEMOTH will sell the most copies of this batch. Can ATTACK OF THE 50 FT. WOMAN be far behind?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm pleased that The Prize is coming out on Blu-ray disc because the DVD is sub-standard. I very much hope that Warner Archive will maintain their usual high standards with this release.

Ernest Lehman's screenplay for The Prize recycles situations from his own screenplay for North By Northwest but the result is not as good although still entertaining.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
B811BEE9-049D-43B5-A381-ADCE79E08C76.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Warner Archive continues to surprise with the release of critical and commercial "flops"..as many of you say ...there are some people to be pleased by different things...but where is the market to buy films that had zero success....

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I was happy to see this movie - always like to see Newman! - but I thought it wasn't a very good film.

Too much of a melodrama and not especially suspenseful or interesting to me...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was supposed to review this release for HTF, but Warners never sent the disc, and I've never gotten around to buying it. I recorded the TCM broadcast the other night and watched it tonight. I feel sure the commercial Blu-ray will improve vastly on what TCM aired as it was full of dust specks, dirt, and some damaged frames. I've never seen an Archive Blu-ray with this degree of visual debris, so it would have to be better than what TCM showed.

I didn't remember that Newman affects a peculiar kind of hoity-toity accent at certain moments; it just doesn't sound like him at all in those moments. Elke Sommer's gorgeous looks and ability to speak Swedish were necessary for the plot, but she's a very mediocre actress. And the film was a bit too long. Yes, it has some of the same beats as North by Northwest (adapted for the screen by the same writer), but I remembered it more fondly than my viewing experience tonight indicated. Now I'm kind of glad I didn't officially review it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I was supposed to review this release for HTF, but Warners never sent the disc, and I've never gotten around to buying it. I recorded the TCM broadcast the other night and watched it tonight. I feel sure the commercial Blu-ray will improve vastly on what TCM aired as it was full of dust specks, dirt, and some damaged frames. I've never seen an Archive Blu-ray with this degree of visual debris, so it would have to be better than what TCM showed.

I didn't remember that Newman affects a peculiar kind of hoity-toity accent at certain moments; it just doesn't sound like him at all in those moments. Elke Sommer's gorgeous looks and ability to speak Swedish were necessary for the plot, but she's a very mediocre actress. And the film was a bit too long. Yes, it has some of the same beats as North by Northwest (adapted for the screen by the same writer), but I remembered it more fondly than my viewing experience tonight indicated. Now I'm kind of glad I didn't officially review it.
I'll have another look at the Blu-ray disc and report back about the picture quality.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
That would be great. Thanks. I might want to pick up the disc one of these days if the quality is as excellent as WA discs usually are.
I re-watched the disc last night. Apart from the opening establishing shot of Stockholm which is very poor, the picture quality is really good. I'm glad this disc is in my collection.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I re-watched the disc last night. Apart from the opening establishing shot of Stockholm which is very poor, the picture quality is really good. I'm glad this disc is in my collection.
Thanks, Robin. I appreciate the time it took to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks