What's new

The Bad News Bears (1979-80) - Episode Summaries (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
http://badnewsbears.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_The_Bad_News_Bears_episodes

I have been researching the archive related to my local newspaper (The Oregonian) regarding the summaries for every episode of The Bad News Bears. I know the Wiki entry for season 2 is not right about the two-part "Wedding Bells" episode; while part 1 is correctly listed as airing 10/6/79, the second part varies: some CBS affiliates (including mine) aired it on 10/13/79, but others waited out until the series returned for the summer of 1980.

I am doing this to help you all determine the correct episode order for this series. It should be known, also, that different CBS affiliates (mine being KOIN-TV 6 in Portland, OR) air episodes intended for one night in another if the intended night has other programming aired instead by the local affiliate.

Here are the summaries that were taken from The Oregonian:

3/24/79
(season 1 premiere)
"Morris Buttermaker (Jack Warden), in trouble with the law, is given the option of a jail sentence or coaching a baseball team at a school for troubled children."
Episode: "Here Comes the Coach"

3/31/79
(no summary given)
Episode: "Amanda Joins the Bears"

4/7/79
"Coach Buttermaker faces unexpected problems in enforcing the school's mandatory shower rule."
Episode: "Nakedness is Next to Godliness"

4/21/79
(did not air this night due to a soccer game; episode delayed on KOIN until 7/14/79)

4/28/79
"Buttermaker faces a serious emotional crisis when his broken-down racehorse sits on Tanner's pet parakeet."
Episode: "Tanner's Bird"

5/5/79
"The Bears see a friendly kiss of congratulations given to Coach Buttermaker by Dr. Rappant as the beginning of a romance."
Episode: "Emily Loves Morris"

5/12/79
"Coach Buttermaker's investigation into the theft of food from the cafeteria turns up one of the Bears as the prime suspect."
Episode: "The Food Caper"

5/19/79
"To insure a hot bet that he placed on the Bears to win a big game, Coach Buttermaker teaches his team every dirty trick he can think of."
Episode: "Men Will Be Boys"

5/26/79
"Amanda and the rest of the Bears arrange a romantic candlelight dinner to rekindle a romance between her mother and Coach Buttermaker."
Episode: "Three's a Crowd"

6/2/79
"Coach Buttermaker finds himself exposed as the ringleader of a major money fraud when the Bears innocently solicit public funds for new uniforms."
Episode: "Save the Bears"

6/9/79
(no summary given; possible repeat)

6/16/79
"Coach Buttermaker's dream of a championship playoff for the Bears depends on his ability to change Lupus's negative self image."
Episode: "Fielder's Choice"

6/23/79
"When Buttermaker makes the mistake of telling the Bears he's an old friend of Johnny Bench, the team insists on meeting him."
Episode: "Run Down" (?)

7/7/79
"Coach Buttermaker, in desperate need of a pitcher, discovers an 11-year-old female whiz kid with a great arm."
Episode: "Amanda Joins the Bears" (repeat of episode that aired 3/31/79)

7/14/79
"Coach Buttermaker finds the answer to his hitting problems in a macho, motorcycle-riding batting star."
Episode: "The Kelly Story"

7/28/79
(repeat of episode that aired 5/19/79)

8/4/79
"The Bears forget about baseball to concentrate on Ahmad's efforts to defend his reputation as the best dancer in town."
Episode: "Dance Fever" (intended to air 6/9/79)

8/18/79
(repeat of episode that aired 4/28/79)

8/25/79
(repeat of episode that aired 6/16/79)

9/15/79
"The Bears challenge Coach Buttermaker to prove his claim that he knows famed pitcher Johnny Bench by producing the baseball star in person for them."
(repeat of episode that aired 6/23/79)

9/22/79
(season 2 premiere)
"Buttermaker, sent to the race track to find a missing student, makes a unique bet with the teenaged truant."
Episode: "Buttermaker Rides Again"

9/29/79:
"Buttermaker and the bears go all out to help 8-year-old Regi cope with his first romance."
Episode: "First Base"

10/6/79:
"Everyone, including Amanda, is delighted when her mother accepts Coach Buttermaker's proposal of marriage. (Part 1 of 2)"
Episode: "Wedding Bells" (Part 1)

10/13/79:
"When Amanda's mother agrees to take a writing assignment out of the country, Amanda moves into Buttermaker's bachelor pad. (conclusion)"
Episode: "Wedding Bells" (Part 2)

6/7/80:
"Coach Buttermaker catches his female pitcher hugging one of his male players and decides to tell her about the birds, the bees, and the Bears."
Episode: "The Birds, the Bees and the Bears"

6/14/80:
"When three of the Bears start bothering Ogilvie, the rest of the team lay a guilt trip on them that causes them to run away."
Episode: "Lights Out"

6/21/80:
"Amanda's mother moves out of the country and Amanda moves in with Buttermaker."
(possible repeat of episode that aired 10/13/79?)

6/28/80:
"Buttermaker and Amanda team up to challenge the perennial winners of an annual tennis tournament."
Episode: "Matched Set"

7/12/80:
"In an effort to reconcile Ahmad with his grandfather, Buttermaker sets up a game between the Bears and an old-timers team"
Episode: "Old-Timers' Day"

7/19/80:
"The Bears tell their parents a lie in order to get to a rock concert and wind up suffering in ingenious punishment."
Episode: "Scrambled Eggs"

7/26/80:
"Buttermaker wants to get Amanda a bicycle for her birthday but his financial cupboard is bare."
Episode: "Double Play"

~Ben

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
http://badnewsbears.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_The_Bad_News_Bears_episodes

I have been researching the archive related to my local newspaper (The Oregonian) regarding the summaries for every episode of The Bad News Bears. I know the Wiki entry for season 2 is not right about the two-part "Wedding Bells" episode; while part 1 is correctly listed as airing 10/6/79, the second part varies: some CBS affiliates (including mine) aired it on 10/13/79, but others waited out until the series returned for the summer of 1980.

I am doing this to help you all determine the correct episode order for this series. It should be known, also, that different CBS affiliates (mine being KOIN-TV 6 in Portland, OR) air episodes intended for one night in another if the intended night has other programming aired instead by the local affiliate.

Here are the summaries that were taken from The Oregonian:

10/6/79:
"Everyone, including Amanda, is delighted when her mother accepts Coach Buttermaker's proposal of marriage. (Part 1 of 2)"
Episode: "Wedding Bells" (Part 1)

10/13/79:
"When Amanda's mother agrees to take a writing assignment out of the country, Amanda moves into Buttermaker's bachelor pad. (conclusion)"
Episode: "Wedding Bells" (Part 2)

6/21/80:
"Amanda's mother moves out of the country and Amanda moves in with Buttermaker."
(possible repeat of episode that aired 10/13/79?)

~Ben

I used to watch this series but I have no record of watching an episode on 10/13/79 but I did see the episode on 6/21/80. But I was watching the feed from New York so something may have happened to pre-empt the episode on the east coast but not three hours later on the west coast. It may have been repeated on 6/21/80 because half the country did not see it. Is there any evidence the episode was shown twice on the west coast?

There were also three unaired episodes: "The Good Life," "The Pride of the Bears" and "The Headless Ghost of MacKintosh Manor."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks