What's new

Behringer Feedback Destroyers anymore? (1 Viewer)

Don Pattee

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
I've been running a BFD Pro DSP 1124 between my old Pioneer Elite and an SVS sub for something like 7 years. The receiver had a built-in calibration system but they weren't that great back then I guess.

I don't see people talking about the BFDs or the SVS EQ1s which are totally discontinued nowadays. Are the built-in calibration systems from Pioneer, Marantz, etc advanced enough now? Or is there some other modern thing that I should be googling...

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I still have a Behringer Feedback Destroyer but it’s been in the top of a storage closet for several years. Our plans to buy a new house keep getting delayed so my HT hasn’t been an HT for about 10 years now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I expect it's because Audyssey 32XT includes bass management in consumer AVRs and pre-pros. And those who care enough to go beyond that can readily buy programmable digital equalizers such as used by custom installers. So there's no longer a market for a niche product like the BFD.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Most people seem to have gravitated to the Chinese miniDSP products. Their entry-level stuff is priced competitively with the BFD.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I unboxed my BFD (and the parametric eq instructions that Sonnie Parker posted online) this morning and plan to deploy it this afternoon if I can find my test tone dvd...

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Well crap! It looks like my test tone DVD got left behind when we moved. Does anyone have 1/6 octave sine wave tones from 16Hz - 160Hz?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I finally got about three interruption-free hours this afternoon to properly set up the BFD and tame the out of control frequencies. I ended up having to set 7 of the 12 available filters to get a good curve from 20 - 80 Hz, then set another 2 filters to smooth out sizeable frequency bumps above 80 Hz. Setting up a BFD is a bit of a chore, but the results are definitely worth the trouble.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You may have gone overboard with the equalizing. Typically all you need to address is the worse peaks and troughs, and perhaps a broad “overall” filter to implement a house curve. Trying to eliminate every little ripple usually means using applying filters with small amounts of gain or bandwidth. Although such “improvements” make the graph look better, you probably can’t actually hear them, as would be shown (or rather heard) by comparative listening with them switched in our out. I wrote a dissertation on the topic some years back which you can find in my signature.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My room had swings of 15dB and higher at certain frequencies. At my old house, I only had to set 5 filters to give me a good house curve of 90dB at 20Hz to 80 dB at 80Hz, so I was surprised at having to set so many for my new house. I only added 3dB of gain to one filter whereas all the others actually cut some very high peaks. My new HT is a very tall room with cathedral ceilings, a concrete floor, and an open closet with no doors, so I expected some weird acoustical issues that I had never ran into before. I’m happy with the results and it will do me until I can afford a good Denon or Marantz receiver with Audyssey XT32, at which time I’ll probably retire the BFD for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks