What's new

Carol Channing R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
A unique and delightful talent. I was lucky enough to meet her at a screening of Thoroughly Modern Millie at The Egyptian in Hollywood. She had an infectious joie de vive.

Reactions: PMF

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
What an amazing lady. She kind of reminded me of Sally Field in that she seemed timeless. R.I.P

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Very glad I got to see her play Dolly Levi in the mid 90’s, she was still quite a force of nature

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
SInce I had seen Dorothy Lamour in the touring production of Hello, Dolly!, I was in no hurry to see it in NYC, and I missed Channing in it. By the time I finally caught up to it in NYC, Pearl Bailey was making her celebrated run in the role.

But she's a delight in THoroughly Modern Millie and I have seen CHanning in lots of TV guest appearances always to pleasing effect.

She's another one of those performers that my generation has always had around us that now is gone. Sad for us that she'll be appearing elsewhere now to undoubtedly great acclaim. I already miss her.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I attended opening night of the current roadshow of 'Hello, Dolly!' (with Betty Buckley in the titular role) here in San Diego on Tuesday night. The cast dedicated the performance to the memory of Carol Channing and, at the end of the show, Buckley gave a very heartwarming tribute to Channing. Buckley said there was a poster in the dressing room she was using that featured Channing in the 1995 version of 'Hello, Dolly!'. Channing was 74 years old when she played Dolly Levi in 1995 and Betty Buckley is currently 71. Even more interesting, Channing opened her 1995 performance in San Diego on the very same day (in the very same theater) as Tuesday's opening performance starring Buckley. Sadly, the same day of the month that we lost Channing.

It was a terrific show and Buckley proved she's still got it. I regret that I was never able to see Channing perform the role.

RIP, the original Dolly Levi.

Mark

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It was a terrific show and Buckley proved she's still got it. I regret that I was never able to see Channing perform the role.

I agree.

Coincidentally, I just saw the tour a few days before Carol Channing passed away. The tour just left us before going to San Diego.

They are doing her proud -- the revival production is fantastic, and everyone in it is on top of their game.

It's so unfortunate that they didn't cast Channing in the Hello, Dolly! film and give her the opportunity to preserve her legendary performance in the flesh (the cast recording notwithstanding.) She would have done a better job than Barbara Streisand, who despite her best efforts simply wasn't old enough at the time of filming to play a woman who had been widowed for ten years with any credibility.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
By the way, again, where is THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE on HD? Nowhere. Sad because now three of the five stars of this film are now gone. They were all here a couple of years ago and could have done a commentary or documentary. The only two left are Julie Andrews and James Fox. We have lost John Gavin, Mary Tyler Moore, and Carol Channing in the last two years.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A unique and delightful talent. I was lucky enough to meet her at a screening of Thoroughly Modern Millie at The Egyptian in Hollywood. She had an infectious joie de vive.
Well said. And six years later, I can tell you that Muzzy was still the same.
Saw her in "Lorelei". Met her backstage.
And to a 12 year old who had already loved her since "Millie", I was ultra star-struck, tickled and in awe.
No razz-berries, here, Miss Channing.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
By the way, again, where is THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE on HD? Nowhere. Sad because now three of the five stars of this film are now gone. They were all here a couple of years ago and could have done a commentary or documentary. The only two left are Julie Andrews and James Fox. We have lost John Gavin, Mary Tyler Moore, and Carol Channing in the last two years.
Universal distributed the DVD. Who has the current deal with Universal, Kino maybe?

I mostly remember Channing from her numerous guest-starring appearances on TV in the 80's. Always great fun to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks