What's new

Denon with Alexa? (1 Viewer)

scottyh73

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
This is almost certainly an obvious answer to most, but I cannot find a straight answer for the life of me, I just purchased a Denon 2400h, which states is Alexa compatible. My thought was I could buy this thing, and give it commands like power on/Power off. Every site I search talks about downloading Heos (which Ive done) and the Alexa app (Which I've done).. I'm fairly confident i've been talking to myself for abou

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
If it states that it's Alexa compatible, that just means you can control it with an Echo dot or other Alexa device. It doesn't mean it's built in.

scottyh73

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I see. Well that's unfortunate. Good thing the dot is only $25. They should probably add that just about anywhere in the tutorials or manuals

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This is almost certainly an obvious answer to most, but I cannot find a straight answer for the life of me, I just purchased a Denon 2400h, which states is Alexa compatible. My thought was I could buy this thing, and give it commands like power on/Power off. Every site I search talks about downloading Heos (which Ive done) and the Alexa app (Which I've done).. I'm fairly confident i've been talking to myself for abou

If it states that it's Alexa compatible, that just means you can control it with an Echo dot or other Alexa device. It doesn't mean it's built in.
Another phrase to watch out for is “Alexa (or whatever) ready.” That means it’s ready to use Alexa but doesn’t contain it. Like when Norma Desmond says “I’m ready for my closeup Mr. Demille.” She doesn’t have Demille or the cameras built-in, but she’s ready for them. :P

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah I found this out too.
I bought a 3400 last year and everything I read made it as if the Denon could be used through the Echo Dot but that’s just sort of what happens.
I wanted to open the Dot and stream what I had on the dot to,the Denon but that’s not actually what it does.

scottyh73

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Wait... So you're saying the dot isn't the answer? Now I'm really confused. What do I need to be able to tell the Denon Alexa commands?!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just use the Heos app on the iPhone or iPad.

Haven’t checked in awhile but last time I tried I couldn’t find anything that the Dot does with the Denon.
Maybe it’s changed now.

scottyh73

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
So it looks like the way it works, is you connect the echo dot to the receiver with an aux cable

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I went to the Echo Dot page on Amazon. In the question and answer section one person described that Dot as having full Alexa capabilities. The difference between the Dot and the Echo is size and speaker quality. So, if your receiver is Alexa ready and is connected to WiFi, the Dot should work with it.

Remember, I’m not tech support and I don’t know for sure I’m right. You could call Amazon or Denon to verify.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Short answer - Yes the Dot will control the receiver.

Long answer - You can use the Dot to voice control devices that are compatible, plus you can use a Dot as the music source. I use a Dot hard wired to a small speaker but can also tell the Dot to connect to Marantz and it will turn on the receiver, switch it to bluetooth and begin playing music through the big system.

I can also use the Dot to turn on and off TV, lights, fireplace, fans, security cameras, music in different rooms and more. The key to getting the most out of a Dot or Google Mini is to have a base system to tie it to like Harmony, Control4, Savant, etc.

Don't expect to buy a Dot and have it controlling everything in one day, it takes a lot of time playing with it and trying different things. Also look into IFTTT, it can be used to do some home automation and control.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks