What's new

Sloped ceiling speakers for Atmos (1 Viewer)

ChucksterMania

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Colquitt
Thanks for the add. I’ll be receiving my new Marantz AV 8805 in a couple days. Right now I’m running a 5.1 but would like to add ceiling speakers for an Atmos setup. I have cathedral ceilings that start at 8’ and peak at 11’. Im looking for experience/advice on this setup. See attached photo.

Attachments

• 67D532DE-BFC1-4673-AD28-03706DB492E8.jpeg
    67D532DE-BFC1-4673-AD28-03706DB492E8.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 5,780

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You can mount speakers to the ceiling for this install but I recommend against in ceiling speakers. Good luck Chuck! and welcome to HTF

ChucksterMania

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Colquitt
Thanks for the reply. For clarification, are you against in-ceiling speakers because of the angles and recommending surface mounted speakers because they can be pointed at the listening position?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Vaulted ceilings and Atmos don't play well together but all Home Theaters must deal with some compromise. I've never tried this particular setup myself but have heard [negative] comments from plenty who have. If possible, I would try to arrange this in a sort of test bed that could be easily backed out of if necessary.

ChucksterMania

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Colquitt
Atmos is new to me so please forgive my ignorance. My understanding is there are two options 1) mount the speakers overhead or 2) mount the speakes low and reflect the sound off the ceiling. If I’m mounting the speaker in the ceiling and can at least aim the tweeter at the listening spot, why won’t it work? I’m not looking for an argument, just understanding.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Vaulted ceilings come in a lot of forms. Your particular situation seems like it would be fine for in-ceiling speakers, which are much better than reflecting ones. But I’m open to explanations of why that would be a bad idea.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have vaulted ceiling as well and was also considering speaker placed there. Is it the slope that causes the problem because you can mount the speakers to compensate for the slope such that the speakers would fire straight down rather then following the slope of the ceiling. What exactly is the issue with vaulted ceilings?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Maybe it'll work just fine. You've got a lot more flexibility with mounted than in ceiling tho. Only some of the in ceilings allow tweeter directionality and none allow woofer aiming that I know of.

But others are right. A non optimal in ceiling is better than a bounce could ever hope to be.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I see my confusion. Yes I would mount them ON the ceiling, not place them IN the ceiling. I agree, IN-ceiling on sloped would probably cause improper imaging issues.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It seems obvious nobody actually looked at the room diagram in the first post...

ChucksterMania

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Colquitt
It seems obvious nobody actually looked at the room diagram in the first post.

I’m sorry, but I’m still confused. If speakers are mounted on the ceiling, which way should the speakers be pointed? Straight down, towards the listener?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It seems obvious nobody actually looked at the room diagram in the first post...
I did and came to the same conclusion as you based on my initial viewing. I try to "stay in my lane" and not represent myself as THE expert when better experts such as yourself are potentially available. This diagram depicts the Atmos fronts being mounted significantly closer to the ceilings peak than the rears. I would call that a non-starter but maybe I'm wrong.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Atmos should never be aimed at a specific position. The only reason we are having this conversation is because of the room setup. Even if your speakers are mounted on a slope your goal should be to aim them straight down not at a specific seat

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sam's right. The topic of "aiming" speakers tends to go overboard. Ideally with speakers, the wider the dispersion, the better, especially with surround systems. The idea with Atmos speakers is where the sound comes from.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’ll be receiving my new Marantz AV 8805 in a couple days.
Something occurred to me. The AV8805 is a pretty exotic piece of equipment, and it's a surround preamp, not a receiver. I hope you realize it's not self-contained. You need external power amps to make it work.

ChucksterMania

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Colquitt
Something occurred to me. The AV8805 is a pretty exotic piece of equipment, and it's a surround preamp, not a receiver. I hope you realize it's not self-contained. You need external power amps to make it work.

I’ve been running a 5.1 system for over 5 years using a Onkyo preamp, a Classe CA-2200 & a Classe CA-3200. So I’m shopping for amps if I do add the Atmo speakers. I have an older Aragon 8008BB, but may use it to bi-amp my fronts. I’m replacing the Onkyo because of a failed HDMI output and noisy channels.

Last edited:

ChucksterMania

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Colquitt
Atmos should never be aimed at a specific position. The only reason we are having this conversation is because of the room setup. Even if your speakers are mounted on a slope your goal should be to aim them straight down not at a specific seat

In the link below they talk about
Dispersion requirements: straight vs. aimed

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/dolby-atmos-dispersion-requirements-for-ceiling-speakers/

Did I misunderstand something about aiming speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks