What's new

Will You Watch the Superbowl - Predictions??? (1 Viewer)

Will You Watch The Superbowl

• Total voters

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm sure many of us watched the New Orleans Saints and the L.A. Rams play for the NFC Championship. If you did then you likely saw the most egregious call in recent NFL history that, arguably, cost the Saints the game.

Nothing against the Rams, the calls can go both ways. But this was the NFC Championship!

Now put that aside and ask yourself this... Are you content to see yet another Superbowl featuring the Patriots. No problem if you are but I am not and here's why.

Since they're in the NFC East, The Patriots are all but guaranteed a Division Title each year. Other divisions [NFC South where I live] are much more competitive. Then there's "Deflate Gate" but let's not go there.

For these reasons I'll probably pass on Superbowl 2019 even though it will be played about 25 miles from my home.

For the record, I'm all about the Silver and Black, so no horse in this race...

upload_2019-1-23_17-31-12.png

Thoughts???

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A buddy of mine will probably invite me over (as that is usually how this goes), but I'm honestly considering declining this year's invitation. I have just about zero interest in this contest.

- Walter.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We are hosting a Super Bowl Party in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater. 110" screen and 5.1 sound. We are limiting it to just 5 couples so that there is plenty of room to spread out and enjoy the game. I'm making my World Famous Chili and our friends are bringing some pot luck items.

The day before we are showing 'Groundhog Day', 'Crazy Rich Asians', and 'A Simple Favor' in the garage theater. Those showings are packed. Then we'll just leave the theater set up for the Super Bowl the next day.

Should be fun. I'll be rooting for the Rams instead of those cheating NE Patriots.

The BEST thing about the Super Bowl is the traitor Chargers won't be in it. It will be doubly delightful if the other LA team wins. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Mark

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’ll watch, but in a way that I’m sure doesn’t please the sponsors or the producers of the yearly halftime show- I’m going to DVR the game, then get up early the following morning to watch it. I’m a life-long NFL fan who couldn’t care less about the halftime garbage, or the other stuff that has nothing to do with the actual game. It usually takes a little over 2 hours to watch an NFL game when I skip the commercials and the halftime.
My prediction- Belichick will our coach the young Rams coach, and the Brady Bunch will have their 6th ring.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I will watch it. I always watch the Super Bowl. I think it stacks up as a good game and an awesome chess match between two smart coaches that should challenge each other.

Also, in the sports world it is a historic game in that it will be quite amazing if Brady and Belichick win their sixth Super Bowl.

I know people hate them but in a way that's a good thing because if your team is not in the game it gives you somebody to root against.

I did not see the Patriots making it to the Super Bowl this season. Their defense played a stunning first half against the Chiefs and then a mediocre second half. Brady was not so wonderful in the game against the Chiefs. He was often throwing behind, high, or low. I thought they beat the Chiefs because of their defense, not really Brady but he put it back together for the drive in overtime.

The Rams have a better defense than the Chiefs so this could lead to more difficulty for Brady. We'll see.

I think if Belichick gets a Super Bowl win in this game, it might be his best coaching job in a season in his storied career.

What he has done with the defense has been pretty impressive in the playoffs. They basically played 6 awesome quarters and 2 where Mahomes magic was just not defensible.

I will say this too, Goff is no Patrick Mahomes. The Rams are going to lean heavy on their running attack and interestingly so will the Patriots I think.

Prediction: Patriots win in a squeaker that will be very much like an old fashioned game with running and defense being the keys to the game.

I should also point out that Wade Phillips does know how to screw with the Patriots offense...so the Rams have that going for them.

Last edited:

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I'm sure many of us watched the New Orleans Saints and the L.A. Rams play for the NFC Championship. If you did then you likely saw the most egregious call in recent NFL history that, arguably, cost the Saints the game.

Nothing against the Rams, the calls can go both ways. But this was the NFC Championship!

Now put that aside and ask yourself this... Are you content to see yet another Superbowl featuring the Patriots. No problem if you are but I am not and here's why.

Since they're in the NFC East, The Patriots are all but guaranteed a Division Title each year. Other divisions [NFC South where I live] are much more competitive. Then there's "Deflate Gate" but let's not go there.

For these reasons I'll probably pass on Superbowl 2019 even though it will be played about 25 miles from my home.

For the record, I'm all about the Silver and Black, so no horse in this race...

View attachment 54558

Thoughts???
I'm wondering how you feel about the Tuck Rule....
And, no, I won't watch much of the game.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yeah that tuck rule game in the snow was a low point in NFL history. The talking heads claim it was the correct call due to the rule, but my problem with it is the rule itself- it should have never been on the books. The Raiders did get totally screwed over that.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
The outcome of the Saints/Rams game was irrelevant, the Patriots won the championship when they beat the Chiefs. The Super Bowl is just a formality at this point. ;)

I do find the "Patriot hate" rather humorous. There is certainly a crowd of people that really seem to dislike them. They have a laundry list "reasons" why they do, it is never simply "they are successful so I hate them," although I feel at the core, that is what it comes down to.

I won't be watching the Super Bowl. While I do occasionally watch all or part of an NFL game, I am just not that interested and all the hoopla around the SB makes it less appealing to me. Not sure why, it just does. Although I have to admit, watching the Patriots win would be entertaining simply because of the number of people that really seem to dislike them.

I didn't see the Saints/Rams game although I have seen video of the bad call in question. Yes, it was a bad call. So what? There are bad calls every game, some worse than others. There is certainly no guarantee that a PI call would have changed who won the game. Plus, from what I have read, there were multiple instances of obvious missed penalties that went the Saints way which also could have lead to a different outcome, or at least a different score.

My high school football coach said to us if a game is so close that a bad call cost us the game, we probably didn't deserve to win anyway.

If the NFL wants to change their instant replay policy more power to them. However, I think any change should apply to every game, not just playoffs as I heard some people discussing. They should have the same rules for every game.

IMHO,
Keith

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
No. Not for the commercials, halftime, or the game itself. I cannot wait for all of this to be out of my city! (But, I do hope the Patriots lose!)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The outcome of the Saints/Rams game was irrelevant, the Patriots won the championship when they beat the Chiefs. The Super Bowl is just a formality at this point. ;)

I do find the "Patriot hate" rather humorous. There is certainly a crowd of people that really seem to dislike them. They have a laundry list "reasons" why they do, it is never simply "they are successful so I hate them," although I feel at the core, that is what it comes down to.

I won't be watching the Super Bowl. While I do occasionally watch all or part of an NFL game, I am just not that interested and all the hoopla around the SB makes it less appealing to me. Not sure why, it just does. Although I have to admit, watching the Patriots win would be entertaining simply because of the number of people that really seem to dislike them.

I didn't see the Saints/Rams game although I have seen video of the bad call in question. Yes, it was a bad call. So what? There are bad calls every game, some worse than others. There is certainly no guarantee that a PI call would have changed who won the game. Plus, from what I have read, there were multiple instances of obvious missed penalties that went the Saints way which also could have lead to a different outcome, or at least a different score.

My high school football coach said to us if a game is so close that a bad call cost us the game, we probably didn't deserve to win anyway.

If the NFL wants to change their instant replay policy more power to them. However, I think any change should apply to every game, not just playoffs as I heard some people discussing. They should have the same rules for every game.

IMHO,
Keith

Some good points, @KeithAP . "I hate the Patriots and I cannot lie," (you know, like the Mixalot song) but beyond that it just gets boring watching the same team dominate their division year after year, unless of course, it's my team. :D As others have said, the rest [halftime show, commercials, etc.] is pure crap these days as well.

But, as my man Dennis Miller says - "Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't watch any sports ever unless it's one of my kids/grandkids playing. I got my fill of "organized sports" in HS marching/playing in the band (we had to play all fb and bb games - like it or not - and I didn't).

No. I will not be watching. Ever.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I don't watch any sports ever unless it's one of my kids/grandkids playing. I got my fill of "organized sports" in HS marching/playing in the band (we had to play all fb and bb games - like it or not - and I didn't).

No. I will not be watching. Ever.
Ah the halftime shows... I was a drummer so I got it really bad but, I have to say, those were some of the best days of my life. In retrospect, I LOVED marching band. It was probably the first taste of real responsibility I was exposed to because we were serious about our shows back then.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I’m a diehard Chargers and Titans fan and I hate the Cowboys and the Steelers. For every other team I’ll root for or against based on a lot of factors.

Having said that I really enjoyed watching the Rams this year and was hoping for a Rams/Chiefs rematch.

But that non call in the Saints game was so bad I just can’t get excited for the game. As of now I’m not planning to watch the Super Bowl. But that will probably change. I haven’t missed watching a Super Bowl since 1977.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ah the halftime shows... I was a drummer so I got it really bad but, I have to say, those were some of the best days of my life. In retrospect, I LOVED marching band. It was probably the first taste of real responsibility I was exposed to because we were serious about our shows back then.
I loved band (but was more a choir nerd) and liked marching well enough but it'd have been much better if we'd not had to attend football games or march in parades. Marching competitions were fun but we didn't do those often. Our fb team did very well one year and made it to the playoffs. We had to march on Thanksgiving day - at a town 4 hours away - not an overnight trip - cold and snowy. It totally sucked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks