What's new

Samsung Announces It Will No Longer Make 4K UHD or Blu-ray Players (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Studios are killing 4K discs like they killed 3D discs.....with ridiculous pricing. The average retail price for a 4K disc (new release) in Canada is 35 bucks before sales tax. I used to buy a lot of discs, but my appetite to spend 40 bucks on a movie is long gone.

Thanks to greed and stupidity 4K discs are going to be as dead as 3D discs in a few years. Samsung dropping 4K players is just the first hint of where 4K discs are going to end up: as unplayable as 3D discs will be when legacy 3D sets give up the ghost.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Wow

So first Oppo, now Samsung. Who's gonna be next to fall?

And the article mentions some new releases won't be on 4K discs.

It's smelling like more folks may indeed leaning to the streaming side for all their 4K offerings due to ease of use and the flood of smart TV's that can easily access their catalogs online.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wow

So first Oppo, now Samsung. Who's gonna be next to fall?

And the article mentions some new releases won't be on 4K discs.

It's smelling like more folks may indeed leaning to the streaming side for all their 4K offerings due to ease of use and the flood of smart TV's that can easily access their catalogs online.

Relax.. Disc sales still dwarf digital purchases. It isn't even close really.

Reactions: PMF

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Where are those numbers? I've tried looking for recent breakdowns of digital vs. physical but didn't have any luck, perhaps you have better data you can post link to.

Now the article did point this out:

Also, while the film industry still claims to be happy with 4K Blu-ray's rate of uptake, the latest disc sales stats for the US show 4K Blu-rays accounting for just 5.3% of sales, while DVD - yes, DVD - still claims 57.9%.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
chartoftheday_7654_home_entertainment_spending_in_the_us_n.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Notice the electronic sell through(to own) vs disc sales.

Come back in 2025 then you might be able to say "I told ya so"

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Thanks for the info (and nice jab).

So NON disc watching of movies and TV shows is at $17Billion (est) and physical accounts for a bit over $5 billion? Am I reading that correctly

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info (and nice jab).

So NON disc watching of movies and TV shows is at $17Billion (est) and physical accounts for a bit over $5 billion? Am I reading that correctly

Sorry about that. But I am sick of hearing how disc is in danger. It is but as said elsewhere...it is a slow death.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
No problem.

I've stated that it's a slow death in other threads so I get that. But we all have to admit that the tides are turning and seeing Samsung jump ship this early on is not great news for physical media.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
As clearly shown subscription services like Netflix are king. But for consumers wishing to "own" a movie still prefer BD, and DVD over digital purchases generally. but as the graph indicates that too is slowly changing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Yeah you are if you mistaking lump together the subscription services with the electronic sell though. It isn't rocket science, disc is still the leader by a wide margin over the electronic sell through(digital purchase). What do you not understand about this?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Yes I see that disc sales are currently at about $4 billion in sales and the digital version sales are at almost $3 billion. By end of 2019 I'm guessing they will close to being equal. But also, not as many people want to actually BUY a movie like we did 10+ years ago. As you can see many folks are more than happy just "renting" be it via Redbox or rental stores or Netflix or Hulu. The trend is obviously heading more and more digital.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You're off by half a billion dollars on digital version sales. The figure is $2.46 billion, which is not "almost $3 billion."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As clearly shown subscription services like Netflix are king. But for consumers wishing to "own" a movie still prefer BD, and DVD over digital purchases generally. but as the graph indicates that too is slowly changing.
It's changing for me as I do prefer physical discs, but the digital purchasing pricing deals on iTunes and Vudu is causing me to slowly change my purchasing decisions. This is especially true for blind purchases. If I've seen a movie in a movie theater and really like it then I'm probably going to buy the physical disc.

One more thing, there are several titles that are 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision on digital platforms, but only have Blu-ray disc releases. If I noticed that then chances are I might make a digital purchase.

Last edited:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Over the holidays I bought a couple of Christmas movie classics in 4K for the exact reason Robert did. They were SO cheap and now I have access to them with one push of my remote and all in one MA account. Works out great for me.

I even see many movies go up for sale well before their disc counterparts hit the streets and at times "on sale".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Over the holidays I bought a couple of Christmas movie classics in 4K for the exact reason Robert did. They were SO cheap and now I have access to them with one push of my remote and all in one MA account. Works out great for me.

I even see many movies go up for sale well before their disc counterparts hit the streets and at times "on sale".
Yeah, we all heard that beforehand from you in other threads. We get it, digital works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks