What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The most recent version of A Star Is Born under the direction of star Bradley Cooper is an affecting, mostly well-told show business story featuring outstanding songs and illuminating performances.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've become so paranoid about this that I check EVERY Atmos disc I play to make sure I've got the good stuff selected. Thanks for the review Matt!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It should be noted that this is yet another Warner 4K disc that defaults to DTS-HD MA 5.1 rather that Dolby Atmos. It is mind boggling....
An old habit of mine, but I always manually set my audio track and also the subtitles if they're available on the disc before playing the movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the fine review Matt. I've preordered my 4K disc and will be picking it up on Tuesday morning. A fine film that I will revisit for my third viewing of it. The movie looked and sounded fantastic in my second viewing which was in a Dolby Cinema theater.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Ah, yes...now, if only WAC would put out "What Price, Hollywood?" on BD;
then all FIVE versions would be finally available.
But, until then, I guess I'll just have to be happy with my Garland, Gaynor, Gaga and Babs.:cool:

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Very strange - I redeemed my code last night on Movies Anywhere, and it appears this movie is not available, not even to purchase, from Amazon Prime Video.

I wonder if Amazon and Warner are having a feud again, this time over digital titles.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Very strange - I redeemed my code last night on Movies Anywhere, and it appears this movie is not available, not even to purchase, from Amazon Prime Video.

I wonder if Amazon and Warner are having a feud again, this time over digital titles.
Not sure about Amazon as I never stream there but it was immediately available in 4K on iTunes and Vudu.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I picked up the regular Blu today at Target (my wife had $15 worth of complementary gift cards, so we paid about $9.00 for it). I was disappointed to discover that the Target exclusive was sold out. I had not realized that they had one.

Was anyone able to secure a copy? How much should I lament that I didn’t get one?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was disappointed to discover that the Target exclusive was sold out. I had not realized that they had one. Was anyone able to secure a copy? How much should I lament that I didn’t get one?

@Mike Frezon covered this in the Roundup this week.

I don't have one, but as I recall, the listing for the exclusive version on their website (which I can't find now) said that it had "extra content" but didn't say what the extra content was. It also didn't say whether that content was on a disc or tied to a download. When they can't be specific about what the extra content is, I don't feel the need to go chasing after it. My guess based on past Target exclusives is it probably includes a featurette or two, or maybe a Q&A with the cast or something. I used to chase after exclusives but now I'm perfectly content with the basic edition which I have.

Would it have been nice to see what that extra stuff held back for Target is? Sure.. I got the Target exclusive version of La La Land a couple years back, which did have its exclusive content on an actual disc, and it was a taping of a post-screening Q&A somewhere. I found it interesting to watch once but haven't looked at it again. Since the Target version and the basic version were the same price in that case, I was happy to take the Target one. But according to @Mike Frezon 's work in the Roundup, the Target edition is $26.99. That's more than I paid to Amazon for the standard edition, which I thought was already overpriced at $24.96. Even if Target had advertised their exclusive version with more detail, I doubt I would have been willing to pay more for a featurette I'd more than likely only watch once.

So this is a particularly long-winded way of saying I don't know what's on the Target edition for this film, but I doubt I'm missing anything Earth-shattering. YMMV.

24fpsNinja

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
The Target Exclusive is a 20 minute featurette “Behind The Scenes” on DVD. I’ve watched the first 5 minutes which documents Bradley Cooper learning to play the piano and taking vocal lessons to lower his SPEAKING voice a full octave. Pretty interesting so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks