Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Rebecca

Genre: Romance, Drama, Mystery

Director: Ben Wheatley

Cast: Armie Hammer, Lily James

Plot: The story follows a newly married young woman who, upon arriving at her husband’s imposing family estate on a bleak English coast, finds herself battling the shadow of his deceased first wife, the mysterious Rebecca, whose legacy continues to haunt the house.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Netflix and Working Title confirm that British director Ben Wheatley has signed on to direct “Kingsman” screenwriter Jane Goldman’s adaptation of Daphne du Maurier’s 1938 gothic romantic thriller.

Lily James (Working Title’s “Baby Driver” and “Darkest Hour”) stars as a young married woman (played by Joan Fontaine in Hitchcock’s 1940 classic) who arrives at Manderley, the bleak English coast estate of her new husband Maxim DeWinter (“On the Basis of Sex” star Armie Hammer takes on the Laurence Olivier role). There she battles the shadow of his dead first wife Rebecca, as well as her imposing housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ben Wheatley is an interesting director. I love Rebecca but it's not one of Hitchcock's signature films, and the Production Code interfered with the original story. Now a remake of, say, Vertigo might cause me some worry.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ben Wheatley is an interesting director. I love Rebecca but it's not one of Hitchcock's signature films, and the Production Code interfered with the original story. Now a remake of, say, Vertigo might cause me some worry.
I beg to differ as it's the only movie in which he won an Oscar. I'm not saying it's Psycho or even Vertigo, but it's among his top ten movies.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I beg to differ as it's the only movie in which he won an Oscar. I'm not saying it's Psycho or even Vertigo, but it's among his top ten movies.
Mr. Hitchcock was nominated for best director but didn't win. Being the producer, Selznick won for best movie. George Barnes also won for his cinematography.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mr. Hitchcock was nominated for best director but didn't win. Being the producer, Selznick won for best movie. George Barnes also won for his cinematography.
I thought he was a co-producer, but should have known better because of egomaniac Selznick.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hey, I'll give it a shot. Why not? It looks good. The world is big enough for two adaptations.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Watched it last night. If you hadn't seen the original you might have thought it was an OK movie. But comparing it doesn't come close. So many scenes could have been done so much better.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Not bad but flat, bland and unnecessary as it brought nothing new or interesting to the adaptation of the novel.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, I very much liked this movie. I saw both this and Hitchcock's movie and I thought that this version looks more Hitchcockian than Hitchcock's own movie! Seriously!

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks