HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Martin Dew submitted a new blog post

Seymour-Screen Excellence announces 'affordable' TRIM motorized masking system
Seymour-Screen-Excellence-TRIM-screen_theater-install-1024x585.jpeg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Reactions: PMF

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I get a good chuckle out of their idea of affordable.

Yeah and WTAF:
Chris Seymour, who holds a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering, a minor in economics from University of Missouri-Columbia, and an M.B.A. with honors from New York Institute of Technology.

And why the hell would you do 1.78? EVERYTHING HD is 1.85

Reactions: PMF

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wish I could afford 10K for my entire theater:P

I hear you. :laugh:

What makes it more amusing is the "affordable" 5 to 10K is before motor, controller and installation costs. All of those could mean an extra 3K, so total cost is more like 8 to 13K.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah and WTAF:

And why the hell would you do 1.78? EVERYTHING HD is 1.85

It would appear to make more sense to go 1.85:1, but isn't HD home releases all framed at 1.78:1 to fit standard HDTV screens.

In any case, to get 1.85:1, it might make sense to calculate out a constant height screen that would give the correct ratio with the use if side masking.

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
I have a 2.35:1 CIH screen, so I built my own side masking panels out of sheets of rigid home insulation foam (from Home Depot) and tight-stretched high-quality black velour over them, making sure the image border edge was absolutely square. Because they're so light, I just attach them with Velcro to the screen frame. You can line up the borders using the PJ test pattern or a paused image for both 1.37 and 1.85. Cost me about $40 in total! The only disadvantage is that you have to stick to the same aspect ratio throughout a movie show, but hey...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have a 2.35:1 CIH screen, so I built my own side masking panels out of sheets of rigid home insulation foam (from Home Depot) and tight-stretched high-quality black velour over them, making sure the image border edge was absolutely square. Because they're so light, I just attach them with Velcro to the screen frame. You can line up the borders using the PJ test pattern or a paused image for both 1.37 and 1.85. Cost me about $40 in total! The only disadvantage is that you have to stick to the same aspect ratio throughout a movie show, but hey...

It is fotunate that there are only a handful of films where the aspect ratio shifts. If one likes classic cinema then issue pretty well goes away.

Anyways a little inconvenience and a savings of 9,960 is probably worth it. :)

Of course, IIRC, using a constant height requires a panamorph lense for some films and that is not exactly a small outlay, although it is considerably less than this motorized masking.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
Similar to Martin, I have a home brew el-cheapo but el-worko just fine $100 system.
I have a 16x9 screen, with the L/R speakers to either side. They are normally covered by full-height AT panels. For narrow movies, I can easily reposition them on each side of the screen- although I don't find that as critical as the wide screen masking. For that, I click the remote to move the image to the top of the screen. Then I only have to mask the bottom part, which done by raising up a black velvet bar and attaching it via velcro at the bottom of the picture. Done. Saved $10,000 .

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
I would want masking for 1.37 and 2.55 as well.

Actually, you can do 2.0 (Lawrence of Arabia, 2001) with my method, but you can't do 2.76 (Ben-Hur). I need to build a set of horizontal panels too. The zoom and lens memory flexibility on the Epsons means that you don't have to use an anamorphic lens for scope and wider.

MG Stearns

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Stearns
Mine is exactly like Martin’s. Home Depot styrofoam cut to fit and black velvet wrapped. I’m not handy, but they turned out fine. The frame of my Criterion screen is thick, and deep enough, thatthe panels just fit snugly inside. No need for velcro. They are super fast and easy to pop in or remove. So nice being able to see both 1.85:1, 2:1, and 2.2:1 movies “float”. I, too, have an Epson (the 4010 4k), a sizeable step up from the Panasonic’s I previously owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks