What's new

The Wandering Earth (2019)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Title: The Wandering Earth

Genre: Science Fiction

Director: Frant Gwo

Cast: Wu Jing, Li Guangjie, Chuxiao Qu, Ng Man-Tat, Jin Mai Jaho, Qu Jingjing, Mike Sui, Arkady Sharogradsky, Lei Jiayin, Guo Jingfei, Zhang Yi-Chi, Hongchen Li, Zhigang Jiang, Liu Cixin, Hao Ning, Wang Zhi, Lu Yang, Xiaobei Zhang, Xiaozhi Rao, Gong Ge-Er, Frant Gwo

Release: 2019-02-05

Runtime: 125

Plot: The sun is dying out, a group of brave astronauts set out to find a new home for the entire human race and the planet.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to A-List, checked out "Wandering Earth" over the weekend. Mostly Mandarin Chinese with subtitles, the sci-fi concept is quite interesting (not sure if it's technically accurate, but I'll roll with it given the heart of the story). The sun is dying, and if humanity is to live, they find an audacious way to propel the earth to another solar system, but things go awry... If you're into interstellar sci-fi, this might be entertaining to you.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've heard about this mostly due to its buffo box office (it's over $600 million worldwide already mostly from China.) I'm really curious and would like to see it, but I have no idea when it's opening around here.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
OK, yep. Just had a look at the Wikipedia entry for the film's plot, and I was pretty much bang on my guess as to the films overall structure and resolution. Another trailer that gives away the entire film, and negates the need to actually see it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks for The warning. Plan on seeing this next week. No trailer for me.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just saw this today.

Not sure if it was a combination of being tired, having to read subtitles while keeping up with the frenetic impressive action and visual effects, but I was lost and confused most of the time.

I liked what I saw and was able to follow (a little) a lot. :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Variety says Netflix bought the film, but hasn't dated its arrival on their service:

https://variety.com/2019/film/asia/netflix-buys-chinese-sci-fi-hit-wandering-earth-1203144647

I'm kind of afraid this might stop any potential theatrical expansion. I was hoping I would get to see this one in a theater, but it's not playing here yet.
I doubt we’d ever see this in a theater in Little Rock so Netflix is my only hope. I’d see it in a theater if it came here.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would be interested to see in a theatre, but it is not likely to get a wide enough release to make it up to my neck of the woods. Netflix is probably where I will see this film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Now on Netflix in HD Dolby Vision/ Atmos
In Chinese

HD Dolby Vision/Stereo Dubbed

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just saw this and really enjoyed it.

I suppose what also added to my enjoyment is that I'm currently watching the mini series
The Planets 2019 by Professor Brian Cox. Absolutely amazing mini series by the way. Great new visuals and must see.

I had no idea that Jupiter was featured in this movie and by total accident I saw
1x03 The Godfather: Jupiter from The Planets 2019 just one night before. So I watched this movie with
my fresh new knowledge of Jupiter and it was very enjoyable.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Just saw this and really enjoyed it.

I suppose what also added to my enjoyment is that I'm currently watching the mini series
The Planets 2019 by Professor Brian Cox. Absolutely amazing mini series by the way. Great new visuals and must see.

I had no idea that Jupiter was featured in this movie and by total accident I saw
1x03 The Godfather: Jupiter from The Planets 2019 just one night before. So I watched this movie with
my fresh new knowledge of Jupiter and it was very enjoyable.

Thanks for the heads up, Sam. I plan on watching this on Netflix this weekend!

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks