What's new

Ikarie XB 1(1963) to be released March 26 - Region Free (1 Viewer)

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Glenn Erickson reviewed this SF film two years ago-

"For the discerning science fiction fan, this is the best of the Eastern-bloc Cold War Sci-fi epics, a genuinely brilliant and warmly human ‘Voyage to the End of the Universe,’ restored in 4k resolution. It’s from before 2001: A Space Odyssey, and has an equally wondrous but totally different vision of the future".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And from the Amazon UK order page-

Product description
Product Description

Presented from the new 4K restoration of the film which premiered at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival, Second Run are delighted to present a new Blu-ray Special Edition of Jind ich Polák s seminal work of fantasy cinema IKARIE XB 1.

Polák s pioneering and much-imitated feature IKARIE XB 1 is one of the cornerstones of contemporary sci-fi cinema. It predates Star Trek and Kubrick s 2001: A Space Odyssey and was clearly an influence on both - and on almost every other science-fiction vehicle that followed.

Adapted from Stanis aw Lem's novel The Magellanic Cloud , the film is set in 2163 and follows a mission deep into space in search of alien life. During their perilous journey the crew confront the effects of a malignant dark star, the destructive legacy of the 20th century and, ultimately, the limits of their own sanity. With outstanding design and cinematography, IKARIE XB 1 is imbued with a seriousness, intelligence and attention to detail rarely seen in science-fiction cinema of the period.

BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• Ikarie XB 1 presented from a new 4K restoration from original materials by the Czech National Film Archive
  • Short film The Most Ordinary of Occupations (Nejv edn j í povolání, 1963)
  • A filmed appreciation by Kim Newman.
  • Alternative US version Voyage to the End of the Universe opening and end scene
  • Booklet featuring a substantial essay by writer and film historian Michael Brooke.
  • Trailer.
  • Voyage to the End of the Universe trailer.
  • Photo gallery
  • New and improved English subtitle translation.
  • Region Free Blu-ray (A/B/C)
  • Original soundtrack in Dual Mono 24-bit LPCM audio.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Great news. A must for classic sci-fi fans. Hard to get me to spring for blu-ray upgrades of titles I already have on good DVDs -- but for this... yes.

Thanks for the heads-up, Mark!

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
It predates Star Trek and Kubrick s 2001: A Space Odyssey and was clearly an influence on both...

Out of interest, is there any evidence for this or is it just from the “I think this is true so it must be” school of film theory (or PR puff)?

2001 is based on the work of Arthur C Clarke and Star Trek’s creator, Gene Roddenberry, said he was influenced by the likes of Forbidden Planet, The Voyage of the Space Beagle, and Captain Horacio Hornblower.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
It predates Star Trek and Kubrick s 2001: A Space Odyssey and was clearly an influence on both...

Out of interest, is there any evidence for this or is it just from the “I think this is true so it must be” school of film theory (or PR puff)?

2001 is based on the work of Arthur C Clarke and Star Trek’s creator, Gene Roddenberry, said he was influenced by the likes of Forbidden Planet, The Voyage of the Space Beagle, and Captain Horacio Hornblower.

I've not seen the movie, just heard of it over the years. Here's an article from 2008 that touches upon its possible influence on 2001 and Star Trek.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom

Well, the movie (released 1963) of course predates Star Trek (1966) and 2001 (1968).

As for the second point, I think people use the term "influence" broadly because Ikarie very well may have had at least an indirect influence on these and other later works. I continue to be surprised in seeing plot threads and concepts in English-language sci fis that I first saw in foreign works. I think sci fi works all influenced and fed off each other over the decades, starting with the pulps, then the comic books, then film and TV (just look at some of the material in Tales of Tomorrow).

Corman imported and repackaged Russian sci-fis, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Roddenberry and Kubrick also were familiar with Eastern Bloc films.

But bottom-line, if you're a classic sci-fi fan and have not seen this movie, I'd encourage you to buy this blu ray; you will not be disappointed.

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
I'll certainly be buying the Blu-ray, although I have the previous Second Run DVD. It's definitely a great film and I look forward to seeing it again, this time in HD.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Going to buy this for sure. I wish someone was selling VOYAGE TO THE END OF THE UNIVERSE to complete the set.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Amazon UK rates the bluray Ikarie XB 1 as its Number One seller in "World Cinema." Which probably explains why it is listed as "Currently Unavailable."

I do see that Amazon US lists various DVDs of that title, all at twice (or more) of the price of the blu. Also, that the soundtrack of the movie is available as a mp3 download, released February 2019 with 13 tracks totaling 24 minutes.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Just received my copy. Couple of observations:

While it's an upgrade from the very nice Filmexport DVD of several years ago, it's not necessarily a night-and-day upgrade.

And upon further viewing it's hard to imagine someone associated with the Lost in Space concept and pilot was unaware of this movie; too many coincidences.

Bottom-line: If you already have the Filmexport DVD and are not a devotee of this movie (and are on a budget), you're OK standing pat. But if you are a classic sci-fi fan and do not already have the DVD.... get this blu ray! It's a seminal addition to your sci-fi collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks