Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

Amazon, Warner in New Contract Dispute?
PrimeWarner-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Sounds like the Disney dispute all over again. But at least I was able to order the disc from Amazon, I still can’t order Disney discs from Amazon.

B1urmeter

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane
It's unlikely that it is a contract dispute. In the screenshot used, WILLY WONKA was, at one time, licensed for EST/Download (Sell Through) and SVOD. The rights likely lasted 2 years and the title(s) wasn't renewed or extended (or another SVOD / EST provider licensed the exclusive Domestic rights for another 2 year window -- although that very expensive).

Anyway, the Rights Period likely ran out with Amazon, but your EST/Download purchases shouldn't (in theory) be affected.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They shouldn't be but are... I purchased the currently airing complete seasons of Supergirl and Arrow in a pre-season sale. Right now all that's available in my account are the first 9 episodes. They've delivered *zero* new episodes since around mid-December when the "dispute" started. Anything up to that date is available as are previously purchased Warner Archive titles but that doesn't excuse non-delivery of a pre-purchased item.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
They shouldn't be but are... I purchased the currently airing complete seasons of Supergirl and Arrow in a pre-season sale. Right now all that's available in my account are the first 9 episodes. They've delivered *zero* new episodes since around mid-December when the "dispute" started. Anything up to that date is available as are previously purchased Warner Archive titles but that doesn't excuse non-delivery of a pre-purchased item.
I would demand a full refund and cite "breach of contract" since Amazon has been unable to live up to their end of the agreement:

When you buy a TV Season Pass, episodes that have already aired on TV are immediately available to watch from Your Video Library.

New episodes are automatically added to Your Video Library as soon as possible after their original network air date (usually the following day). We'll send you an email notification when new episodes are available.

I would also demand that the refund be back to the original form of payment, and not promo codes, since you will obviously have to purchase that season pass from Vudu, iTunes, or some other competitor. And if promo codes were used in the transactiion, Amazon should refund those, as well, since they failed to deliver.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It's unlikely that it is a contract dispute. In the screenshot used, WILLY WONKA was, at one time, licensed for EST/Download (Sell Through) and SVOD. The rights likely lasted 2 years and the title(s) wasn't renewed or extended (or another SVOD / EST provider licensed the exclusive Domestic rights for another 2 year window -- although that very expensive).

Anyway, the Rights Period likely ran out with Amazon, but your EST/Download purchases shouldn't (in theory) be affected.

This has absolutely nothing to do with SVOD (aka "Videos included with Prime membership). If you try to rent or purchase any Warner Bros title, the "This title is currently unavailable" message appears.
Arrow_S7.jpg CRA.jpg 2001.jpg

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I noticed that last week regarding Hanna-Barbera titles on Amazon. Save for a few Scooby titles. No titles are for sale any longer. I checked big names like Flintstones, etc. None for sale anymore. A few months ago I bought some episodes of the New Fred & Barney Show since WA is dragging their feet on a dvd release and it’s never been available on iTunes and it’s not for sale any longer.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I noticed that last week regarding Hanna-Barbera titles on Amazon. Save for a few Scooby titles. No titles are for sale any longer. I checked big names like Flintstones, etc. None for sale anymore. A few months ago I bought some episodes of the New Fred & Barney Show since WA is dragging their feet on a dvd release and it’s never been available on iTunes and it’s not for sale any longer.
This truly is a sad day for cartoon fans...

~Ben

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That makes me wonder if Amazon is also in a dispute with ABC/ESPN .. Ive seen a huge reduction in ESPN 30 for 30 physical media for sale on Amazon. 2 months ago, you could find a lot of the 30 for 30 films on DVD via amazon. Now I dont see too many

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
That makes me wonder if Amazon is also in a dispute with ABC/ESPN .. Ive seen a huge reduction in ESPN 30 for 30 physical media for sale on Amazon. 2 months ago, you could find a lot of the 30 for 30 films on DVD via amazon. Now I dont see too many
Could Amazon finally be losing money overall on this???

~Ben

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Amazon and Disney have been in a dispute for years, and Disney owns ABC & ESPN.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Although to be honest, I think this may be a simple case that after the initial run of discs were pressed, no more were made and the available stock is now simply sold out.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Finally, an official response from Warner Bros. Digital Support:

Hello Todd,

Our license agreement with Amazon has expired and WB content is no longer available on the Prime Video digital store. We will continue to work with Amazon to make our products available on their digital store, but you can find WB movies, such as a "A Star Is Born" and award-winning TV shows, such as "The Big Bang Theory," on DIRECTV, iTunes, Google PLAY, VUDU, Comcast, Verizon, FandangoNOW, Microsoft, PlayStation and other digital content services. Our fans and our customers are our number one priority, and we always aim to serve them.

Thank you for working with us on this matter.

Regards,

Tori
WB Digital Support

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Time for Movies Anywhere to pull Warner Bros. from their service since you can't make new redemptions and watch on Amazon. So much for "Anywhere" ;)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Time for Movies Anywhere to pull Warner Bros. from their service since you can't make new redemptions and watch on Amazon. So much for "Anywhere" ;)
The beauty of Movies Anywhere is that if there's a problem with one participating service, you have 2-3 other services to fall back on. I much prefer the Vudu UI to the Prime Video UI anyway.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The beauty of Movies Anywhere is that if there's a problem with one participating service, you have 2-3 other services to fall back on. I much prefer the Vudu UI to the Prime Video UI anyway.
True, but the people really getting screwed are those like @BobO'Link who purchased season passes of currently airing Warner Bros TV shows before the contact ran out, and are not getting new episodes after they air.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Apparently the dispute ended on or around April 1st, as I recently noticed that Aquaman and A Star is Born suddenly materialized in my Amazon Prime Video Library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks