What's new

So I have been thinking about a New TV (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I currently have a 40 inch HD Samsung model that I bought in Florida in 2012 ..Its not a smart TV and it has 4 HDMI ports which works because I have several devices connected. However, Im not seeing a lot of choices with 4 HDMI ports in my budget which is about $400 .. I am also somewhat confused between UHD 4K And so on. Furthermore, Its hard to consider buying a samsung model TV when It has been announced that Samsuung is no longer going to manufacture Blu Ray players as I was also considering an upgrade in that area

So if you were me, what wold you do ?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Moved this to the Displays forum for higher visibility.

Personally I solve the lack of HDMI ports by running everything through an AV Receiver. If you are happy with your 40" TV I say stick with it. Don't upgrade until you find a compelling reason to. You can't get an OLED that small so that reason is out. You aren't going to see a major leap in PQ with a $400 budget. You could get an edge lit 4k tv but it doesn't sound like you have a lot of 4k content.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Moved this to the Displays forum for higher visibility.

Personally I solve the lack of HDMI ports by running everything through an AV Receiver. If you are happy with your 40" TV I say stick with it. Don't upgrade until you find a compelling reason to. You can't get an OLED that small so that reason is out. You aren't going to see a major leap in PQ with a $400 budget. You could get an edge lit 4k tv but it doesn't sound like you have a lot of 4k content.

Yeah I don’t have anything in 4K. And the receiver I have is a 2003 model by Yamaha. It has no hdmi but it does have A/V for things like gaming systems and so on. I’ve been thinking for a while about a big home theater upgrade. Also

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
What are your sources that take 4 inputs? Could a smart blu ray player reduce your source inputs down to 2 or 3? An AVR will work also but now youre talking a complete sound system and a much bigger solution, ugh. With that TV budget I would consider craigslist also, though obviously not a brand new TV it might well allow for an upgrade to your existing display and still be within budget.

Maybe Im biased, both my plasma TVs and projector are craigslist specials, all three still going strong and purchased at a fraction of retail cost.

I would disregard any concerns with 4k, mainly its marketing fluff at this point. Potential is there but down the road in execution and imo pointless for sub 80" displays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks