What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon submitted a new blog post

Weekly RoundUp 2-26-2019
WRU-Banner-2019-1024x661-copy-1024x661.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lots of interesting titles this week, RoundUppers!

I'll likely bite on The Little Mermaid on 4k/UHD. I just rewatched my Blu of TLM the other day with my granddaughters. I wonder how much better a 4k version might be? This is the film that kicked off that 2nd Disney Golden Age and it also hit as my daughter happened to turn three years old (just at the right time!).

Safe shopping!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've got Used Cards coming and at some point, I'll grab The Mole People and Willard. At this point, Amazon charges so much for Shout/Scream Factory titles that I might as well buy directly from Shout so all the money goes to them instead.

Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you for your work, Mike!

I hate it when Disney does two releases in a given week because as usual they are both overpriced.

It would be really nice if some store would have had a deal to knock even $5 off the combined purchase of both Ralph Breaks the Internet and The Little Mermaid.

But I'll probably still get both.

And I'll get the Damages complete series Blu-ray at some point. I love that show and would have continued to buy Blu-rays of seasons 2-5 if Sony hadn't discontinued Blu-rays after season 1. But since I have all the subsequent seasons on DVD, it's not a huge priority upgrade.

Last edited:

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
No Captain America: The First Avenger and Captain America: The Winter Soldier on 4K Blu-ray? I believe there are being released on Tuesday the 26th also.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My order from Best Buy arrived today and I watched the 4K/UHD releases of "The Little Mermaid" and "Captain America: The First Avenger". Both releases are officially released on Tuesday so Best Buy shipped early.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No Captain America: The First Avenger and Captain America: The Winter Soldier on 4K Blu-ray? I believe there are being released on Tuesday the 26th also.
Only "Captain America: The First Avenger" 4K/UHD is being released this Tuesday. Disney/Marvel will be releasing other 4K/UHD releases for Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man in the coming months.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks once again for the Round-Up Mike

To Sleep with Anger is "on it's way" courtesy of the Target buy3get1free sale ...

For those who have not picked up Stranger Things on Disc Target has 50% any flavor of Season 1 or Season 2 via their Cartwheel program

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Only "Captain America: The First Avenger" 4K/UHD is being released this Tuesday. Disney/Marvel will be releasing other 4K/UHD releases for Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man in the coming months.
Given that Captain America: The First Avenger was shot using Panavision Genesis cameras at 1080p, a 4K/UHD release seems entirely pointless. Whatever "benefits" there are over the Blu-ray would seem to be entirely artificial and created after the fact.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Given that Captain America: The First Avenger was shot using Panavision Genesis cameras at 1080p, a 4K/UHD release seems entirely pointless. Whatever "benefits" there are over the Blu-ray would seem to be entirely artificial and created after the fact.
It still looked great on my OLED. It's not like watching the latest Avengers film on 4K/UHD, but I didn't expect it to. At first listening, I thought the Dolby Atmos soundtrack was awesome. I might do some comparisons to my 3-D disc.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was at Target today and saw some of the MCU catalog Blu-rays marked at $24.99 a pop. There are some that I haven't bought before that I would like to eventually add to my collection but even those are too high for me. I'm not sure I want to know how much they would be charging for 4K versions.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
41CA3670-70F7-4036-8B5F-72673B19E3C8.png
4C4D98E1-BDEC-47A0-B187-C18D49B8B7CA.png
This info above from IMDb is a bit confusing regarding how the film was shot. Sounds like it was shot with a few different cameras.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the ROundUp, Mike.

Ralph Breaks the Internet will eventually be mine, but I think I'll wait awhile. I've been spending an awful lot for product in the last three weeks, so I need to slow it down a little.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll throw a heads up here as well -- Criterion.com Flash Sale most commonly happens around the end of February. Criterion virtually never lets anyone know when it's coming more than a day or two ahead and sometimes not even until the morning of the sale.

With the last Feb release this Tuesday, no releases scheduled the next week, AND the Bergman Collection back in stock there seems to be a pretty good chance it will happen this week. EVERY Q1 sale has started on Tuesday around Noon ET so I'd be watching closely for those that wait for the 2 days a year.

Teh My Criterion part of the site has been down for almost a year now and the Wishlist down for the last couple weeks. If the Wishlist suddenly gets fixed tomorrow or Tuesday morning then I'd take that as a sign.
The other common giveaway is when the site moves items in the cart from "Ships next business Day" to "Ships in 2-3 Days" -- this often seems to happen 4-24 hours before the sale starts

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've got The Little Mermaid Best Buy Steelbook, and ClassicFlix Stand-In pre-ordered. The other few items I want will have to wait for a price drop.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll throw a heads up here as well -- Criterion.com Flash Sale most commonly happens around the end of February. Criterion virtually never lets anyone know when it's coming more than a day or two ahead and sometimes not even until the morning of the sale.

Double head fake, I bit on the slant and got beat deep -- nothing happening on Criterion's website nor any of their Media pages. Looks
like a false alarm at least for this week. 2015 the Q1 sale was 3/10 so it's still likely pending rather than not happening and they could also break their Tuesday pattern as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.