What's new

Receiver shopping for future Atmos (1 Viewer)

leemr lee123

Auditioning
Real Name
mrlee123
Shopping for a new receiver but I'm a bit confused on something. I'd be looking at future state as a 5.1.2 setup, or 7.1.2 at most. My question being what should I be looking for in a 7 channel receiver, that will allow me the ability to add an amp for a 9 channel setup down the road? Also, is it way more cost effective to just spend the extra couple hundred dollars for a 9 channel receiver? I know the alternative would be an extra amp for 2 channels, but I have never shopped for a stand alone amp before. Thanks!

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
You can find two channel amps for around $100. Preamp outputs on a receiver allow for external amps to be connected. Normally these outputs come on middle and higher end AVRs. If you want the ability for 9 channels the AVR you find will likely have both 9 channels and preouts but look around, that might not be the case. If you post your budget for an AVR I wouldn't be surprised if some folks make some specific AVR recommendations...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's going to depend on specifically what you are shopping for. I quickly looked at Denon, and to get 9 pre-outs (for 5.2.4 or 7.2.2) you have to buy a 9-channel amplifier, which starts around $1500 MSRP. The 7 channel receivers (5.2.2) only offer seven channel pre-out. I don't know if all brands are the same, but for Denon right now, it appears to not be cheaper to buy a lesser AVR and amplifiers later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks