What's new

Getting the Entire Sound System works with different Audio Sources (1 Viewer)

Adam21

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Hi Folks,

I m sorry if my questions might sound silly to some of you since am a newbie to the Sound Home theater system and just learning the first few steps. I picked up recently an old Samsung HT system with a complete set of the speakers, FR FL, C, SUB, SR, and SL. the system is brand new, and Model number is

5.1 ch Blu- ray HT-F4500

Testing the Speakers Functionality throughout Test Tone Option, All Works OK

Playing a video on Youtube, Only The Sub and Front / Right Speakers are playing sound the rest are not ( Central/SUR L/R)

Play an mp3 on an external thumb drive, same as above, couldn't get neither the central or SUR L/R working

Playing an MKV (1080p) on an external thumb drive, All works OK

The whole point of having this sound system for me is to plug in an AUX external device and get the whole system working or connect it to my TV Streaming box and watch movies with the full sound system.

Why is that happening and how to resolve this issue? I do appreciate your inputs and thoughts .

Cheers

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
YouTube and the MP3s are stereo so the unit is playing it back in stereo. When you play a movie that is sending surround sound the unit will play surround. It's working right.
Some units have different sound settings like All Channel that will play stereo signals on all the speakers but I don't believe the HT-F4500 has this capability. I may be wrong about this and if I am, someone please correct me.

Brian

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would expect this unit has a Dolby Pro Logic mode, which does a matrix from two channel to come out of all 5.1 channels. Different units vary, but often the remote has a "Surround" button. Play a youtube video that only plays from the L/R front speakers, and adjust the surround more to get DPL (Dolby Pro Logic). the problem is, I looked quickly at the owners manual, and I don't see where you adjust that. It plays Dolby True HD, so it should have the capability for DPL.

Adam21

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
YouTube and the MP3s are stereo so the unit is playing it back in stereo. When you play a movie that is sending surround sound the unit will play surround. It's working right.
Some units have different sound settings like All Channel that will play stereo signals on all the speakers but I don't believe the HT-F4500 has this capability. I may be wrong about this and if I am, someone please correct me.

Brian
Thanks Brian for the reply. So how do I know what file format will get the whole system working in term of Video and Audio. I know that MP3 and Youtube will only play it back as Stereo while MKV is compatible with the entire system, any other formats will make it all work.

One more qus here, If I have the source as an AUX from a laptop with a compatible Video or Audio format, would that get the entire system working.

Cheers

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The file format has nothing to do with it. It's an issue of how many channels the audio in the file has to begin with. MKV can contain anything ranging from mono to full Atmos/DTS:X. Anyway, I'll move on and let others try to help.

Adam21

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I would expect this unit has a Dolby Pro Logic mode, which does a matrix from two channel to come out of all 5.1 channels. Different units vary, but often the remote has a "Surround" button. Play a youtube video that only plays from the L/R front speakers, and adjust the surround more to get DPL (Dolby Pro Logic). the problem is, I looked quickly at the owners manual, and I don't see where you adjust that. It plays Dolby True HD, so it should have the capability for DPL.

Thanks John. I had a quick look over the manual and it says that it support DOLBY True HD Digital plus not sure if that what you mean or not. attaching an image for your references.

Attachments

• IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 141

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No. Dolby True HD is a discrete surround format. Dolby Pro Logic is used to take a two channel soundtrack and extract a center and side surround channels. Not nearly as good as discrete surround, but when you have only a two channel source, that's all you can do.

Any surround decoder capable of True HD should also be capable of DPL, which is a rather old surround format.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I looked up the manual for your Samsung.

This is the button you want:

upload_2019-3-22_19-2-40.png

However, be aware that:

upload_2019-3-22_19-3-13.png

The manual is not very clear what options you have. Play with it until you like it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks