What's new

How can you tell if an iTunes digital copy is in 4K on a PC? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If you don't have an AppleTV, how can you tell if a digital copy in your iTunes library is in 4K? Since iTunes titles don't stream in 4K through PCs, all of the titles in my library -- even titles I know should be 4K -- are listed as HD.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That’s a good question and I’m also curious about this answer. When I’m watching on the 4K Apple TV plugged into my 4K set, it’ll show me that I own something in 4K. But if I then look when using the 4K APTV box hooked up to a 1080p display, it only shows “HD” as being available.

You’d think there’d be a way to tell what you have without needing to be looking at it on a 4K display.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
iTunes on my MacBook Pro shows the correct resolution for titles that are available in 4K. Too bad the Windows app doesn't do the same.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That’s a good question and I’m also curious about this answer. When I’m watching on the 4K Apple TV plugged into my 4K set, it’ll show me that I own something in 4K. But if I then look when using the 4K APTV box hooked up to a 1080p display, it only shows “HD” as being available.

You’d think there’d be a way to tell what you have without needing to be looking at it on a 4K display.
I agree. Vudu, FandangoNow, and even Google Play will tell you what resolution you own for a title regardless of what the device or display resolution is.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
iTunes on my MacBook Pro shows the correct resolution for titles that are available in 4K. Too bad the Windows app doesn't do the same.
It's the same on my iPhone and iPad when I access my movie library, it shows me the correct resolution that each title is available for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you don't have an AppleTV, how can you tell if a digital copy in your iTunes library is in 4K? Since iTunes titles don't stream in 4K through PCs, all of the titles in my library -- even titles I know should be 4K -- are listed as HD.
Which is why I utilize my iPhone and iPad to check the iTunes library. They won't download in 4K on either device, but I know which titles I own or are available to me in 4K.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Which is why I utilize my iPhone and iPad to check the iTunes library. They won't download in 4K on either device, but I know which titles I own or are available to me in 4K.
Good to know; unfortunately I don't own any Apple devices. I have a Samsung phone that runs on Android.

Seems like a pretty huge omission not to allow people to find out the resolution of their content unless they own Apple hardware.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Good to know; unfortunately I don't own any Apple devices. I have a Samsung phone that runs on Android.

Seems like a pretty huge omission not to allow people to find out the resolution of their content unless they own Apple hardware.
I'm not going to argue with you about that point. It's one of the reasons why I hate going to iTunes on my desk top.

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Don't claim to know exactly what's going on, but when I download a 4K movie to my iPhone X that I've purchased the file size is at least twice as large as a movie in HD. My iPad Pro can display the HDR and by what looks like increased resolution over an HD film I guess I'm getting 4K playback. What really pisses me off is that I cannot do 4K playback from iTunes on my 5K iMac desktop. Was hopping to see that change with the upcoming changes to iTunes.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My iPad Pro can display the HDR and by what looks like increased resolution over an HD film I guess I'm getting 4K playback
iPad Pro does not display HDR or 4K. I also own one.

You cannot download 4K digital films on any device.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
iPad Pro does not display HDR or 4K. I also own one.

You cannot download 4K digital films on any device.

I think iPad Pro does support HDR. If the camera can record it, it would be silly not to be able to play it back, no?

7C3E329E-E2F8-449A-9259-2DEF27D74E8A.jpeg

734DFDF4-D5CF-4B1D-9843-27CEDDBBDF5C.jpeg

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’m on my iPad Pro and cannot find any settings for HDR or Dolby Vision.

??

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Perhaps they removed it with a recent update.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Huh. I'm on the most recent update 12.3.1.

I will see if there's anything else I can think of...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks