What's new

2019 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
We are just hours away from the first regular season game! Sure it is in Tokyo, Japan but it counts as an A's home game.

I'm hoping the Cubs can catch fire this season and bring home another title.

Go Cubs Go!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I guess the pitchers didn’t make it to the Tokyo Dome today. A little surprised at the crowd’s reaction to Ichiro’s first at bat- I thought he would get a louder applause. The Cubs- hmmmm. I still think they should ship Schwarber to the AL, and get another bat with a higher OBP, and it will be interesting to see how their aging rotation holds up, and how Darvish pitches.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Crazy that Keuchel and Kimbrel are still available. I’d like to see the Phils get either one
(Hamels was the last good left-handed starting pitcher the Phils had). The Phils won 80 last year. I predict they’ll win 88 this year, and be in the mix for the NL East division.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yeah 5 years, $137.5 million, opt out after 2022, team option for 2024 (I think that option is for
$32.5 million). I thought DeGrom would get closer to what Sale got.
Mets/Nationals in 7 hours. I’ll be listening (on Sirius/XM Radio). Interesting to hear the comments from the Nationals radio guys about Bryce leaving, and how the team will be affected by his absence (if the Nationals win in the playoffs without him, that will hurt Bryce’s
legacy).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Where do baseball owners/teams find all this money? Ballparks are largely empty for most games in many cities and the major networks have no interest in buying the TV rights for the games anymore (at least regular season). I'm perplexed at how teams are able to offer these ridiculous contracts.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Zack Grienke was awful today.

Braves did not do so hot today.

Watching the m’s and Red Sox now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Where do baseball owners/teams find all this money? Ballparks are largely empty for most games in many cities and the major networks have no interest in buying the TV rights for the games anymore (at least regular season). I'm perplexed at how teams are able to offer these ridiculous contracts.
You'll be surprise how much monies these teams get from TV, whether from the major networks or their local deals. Furthermore, baseball unlike the NFL is a very regional sport when it comes to TV viewership and money. Regional sports networks tied to specific teams are very profitable for the teams.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-fox-st...oves-baseball-isnt-close-dying-183048053.html

As to attendance, some teams are doing very well while others like Oakland, Tampa, Miami, Pittsburg, Chicago WS and Baltimore suck. With that said, teams get a lot revenue from concessions. Teams like the Yankees which owns their own concession business, make out like a bandit with their overpriced products.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2018-misc.shtml

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes teams are dependent upon their individual TV deals to determine their payrolls.

Terrific pitchers duel in Washington today. A fun fact- Scherzer and DeGrom both had 10 or more strikeouts- the first time since 1970 that both starting pitchers had 10 Ks in an opening day game. The Nationals has missed opportunities- twice they had a runner on 3rd with less than 2 out, and failed to score (Robles made a horrendous base running mistake to end an inning).

The Phils will be a fun team to watch this year.
I thought it was amusing when Snitker walked Harper intentionally on his 4th at bat (Bryce hit a weak grounder to 1B, and struck out twice), then Hoskins immediately cuts the salami on the first pitch after the walk to blow the game open.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Frustrating loss for the Dodgers last night (early this morning). They lost 5-4 in 13 innings, and left 17 runners on base in a game that took 6 hours and 10 minutes.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Wow- the Sox starting pitching is getting shelled in Seattle. The Brewers Yelich is on fire. The Dodgers are murdering the ball. The Nationals walked off the Mets today- a game they needed to win, especially after blowing a 5-2 lead in the 8th. The Rays are 3-1, and pitching well.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Lets go Mets!!!
Am I too critical, or is Syndergaard not as good a pitcher as he should be? Seems to me he has arguably the best stuff in the league, and his results don’t match his stuff. In yesterday’s game, he was up 1 run, the Nats had a runner on 3B and less than 2 outs, and catcher Kurt Suzuki up. Kurt swings at 2 bad pitches to go down
0-2, then Noah doesn’t throw him the curve. After a couple of foul balls, Kurt hit a sac fly to tie the game. Noah should be one of the best pitchers in baseball, but he isn’t.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Am I too critical, or is Syndergaard not as good a pitcher as he should be? Seems to me he has arguably the best stuff in the league, and his results don’t match his stuff. In yesterday’s game, he was up 1 run, the Nats had a runner on 3B and less than 2 outs, and catcher Kurt Suzuki up. Kurt swings at 2 bad pitches to go down
0-2, then Noah doesn’t throw him the curve. After a couple of foul balls, Kurt hit a sac fly to tie the game. Noah should be one of the best pitchers in baseball, but he isn’t.

Agreed.
Hopefully he can become more consistent.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Some terrible baseball early on- too many bases loaded walks (on Sunday, the Royals walked back-to-back White Sox hitters to force in 2 runs, and the White Sox walked in the go-ahead run in Cleveland yesterday). Per-wee league stuff.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Congratulations to the Chicago Cubs with their 6 error game last night!!!
That's just one game, the way the season is going for my Yankees, half of our 25 man roster will be on the Injured List by next weekend. So far, we have our starting LF, CF, 3rd base and SS on the IL. Our #1 and #5 starting pitcher as well as our 8th inning reliever on IL too. Yankee fans are having a great time so far in 2019.:)

Users who are viewing this thread