What's new

Traditional freestanding subwoofer placed under false floor??? (1 Viewer)

automationamateur

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I recently purchased a home that has an 11 seat home theater in the basement. The theater has 3 rows of seats with the first row being on the lowest level (concrete foundation) and the other two rows are built on top of a false floor riser (2x4's, subfloor and carpet on top). This creates a very sizable void of unused space under the false floor. Also, an access panel, wiring and electrical access is already present under the false floor. I am wondering if I can utilize this space to place a traditional free standing powered subwoofer or two, in order to take up less space in the theater itself without seriously compromising the subs performance??? I have options to cut openings in false floor if it would help the bass flow from under false floor into the theater.

Thoughts? I appreciate the help.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Subwoofers, all speakers in fact, operate by moving air in the room. So, the floor might vibrate a little, but the only place you'll be moving air is inside the void. That void is basically a different room. You probably wouldn't put speakers for your home theater in a different room than the home theater. So, no, that will not work. Cutting holes would actually make the distribution of the b

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks