What's new

For anyone who has no form of cable (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have cable... for my wife. My TV isn't connected to anything but media players and game consoles.

I rarely watch something on its original air night for no other reason than it's a lot of hassle. I keep thinking I'll pick a date and simulate that night in broadcast history but never get around to it. I just select based on my current mood and will normally finish a season before selecting another series. I *do* keep a couple of half-hour and hour length programs in rotation so I don't limit myself to a single series at a time.

Right now I have S7 of Game of Thrones I'm about to start with Hart to Hart S2 and Perry Mason S1 in rotation. I don't currently have a half-hour program in the rotation but will "cure" that in a day or so.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Funny you brought this up.....last week Tuesday, I was bored and I decided to watch some of my older DVDs......I decided to watch shows from the 1970's lineup that would occur on a Tuesday night on ABC...….The shows I watched were "Happy Days", "Laverne and Shirley", "Three's Company" and "Soap"...….and I have to tell you....it was actually fun watching them in that order again. Definitely put a smile on my face after having a terrible day at work. I am planning to do that again.....but on a different night.....different lineup.....when I have more time like I did last Tuesday. :)

swan4022

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
I don't have cable, and I do this with some shows: I typically will watch Columbo on Sunday nights (though I have the show on hiatus for now since I have seen the episodes so many times, I want there to be a freshness to them again); I have been watching The Bob Newhart Show on Saturday nights (I typically watch two in a row, but will stop after I finish season 5 because I do not like the 6th season); if I owned any of the other CBS shows I would probably occasionally recreate a night of the classic 70s CBS Saturday night lineup that I fondly recall watching with my family; I watch Mission: Impossible on Saturday evenings, and I believe that show ran for a while on Saturdays (?).

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Interesting question...I've thought about doing this, but never have. I usually just grab whatever show I'm in the mood for. Try as I might, I can't quite seem to stick to a set-in-stone viewing schedule; instead, I prefer to follow my whims on a day-by-day basis. I do have cable, but rarely watch it.

That said, I might have to give this a try sometime, just for curiosity's sake. I'd probably not worry about matching up exact days of broadcast, but watching a handful of shows in their original night-of-broadcast order might be a fun exercise. For example, I remember watching Magnum P.I. and Simon and Simon back-to-back on Thursday nights in the early 80s. I'd consider watching both of those shows in order on DVD...but it wouldn't have to be on a Thursday night, necessarily.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I watch Mission: Impossible on Saturday evenings, and I believe that show ran for a while on Saturdays (?).

Yes. It spent almost half its life on Saturday nights. My Senior year in HS I'd often take a break from cruising to go home on Saturday nights to watch either Mission or Carol Burnett (Her show moved to the Saturday 10pm slot in January 73) and then go cruising again.

Mission: Impossible air times from Wikipedia:
  • Saturday at 9:00-10:00 PM on CBS:[1] September 17, 1966—January 7, 1967
  • Saturday at 8:30-9:30 PM on CBS: January 14—April 22, 1967
  • Sunday at 10:00-11:00 PM on CBS: September 10, 1967—March 29, 1970 (the most frequent time slot)
  • Saturday at 7:30-8:30 PM on CBS: September 19, 1970—March 17, 1971
  • Saturday at 10:00-11:00 PM on CBS: September 18, 1971—December 9, 1972
  • Friday at 8:00-9:00 PM on CBS: December 22, 1972—March 30, 1973

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
The only show I'm currently watching on a strict schedule is Dark Shadows. I'm with a group of fans that are watching it on a "50 years ago today" basis. I do tend to watch certain shows on certain nights, not related to when they originally aired. In addition to my Dark Shadows, I'll usually watch an hour-long show each night. Lately I've been alternating between Gunsmoke and the original Dallas, with an occasional Bonanza and Little House thrown into the mix. Weekends have been reserved lately for Batman, The Twilight Zone and Flipper.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I watched Twin Peaks and The X-Files on the 25th anniversary of their premieres but never at the time the show originally aired. The timing wouldn't work out the same anyway since I wouldn't pause the show for the commercial breaks. :)

Since there was only 30 episodes of Twin Peaks, I ended up watching all of them on their 25th anniversaries (it took just over a year) but with over 200 episodes of The X-Files, I knew there was no way that I was going to remember to watch a specific episode on a specific day for nearly a decade so I just watched the pilot last September.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll probably watch the premiere episode of Lost for its 15th anniversary in September and The Twilight Zone for its 60th anniversary in October. MAYBE if I'm feeling wild, I'll try to watch each TZ episode over the next 5 years.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I do this on a very relaxed basis. I watch things like MURDER SHE WROTE and THE FBI on Sundays. I watch GUNSMOKE on Monday, even though it was a Saturday staple in its earlier years. But I also watch DR. KILDARE on Mondays only because that was the only night that had an opening when I added it to my viewing rotation. So, in this case, I made my own assigned night. Tuesdays are reserved for THE FUGITIVE, now that I have completed THE INVADERS. I watch MANNIX on Wednesday nights. (This was another show that moved around over its original run.) I had an opening on Thursday for BARNABY JONES, so I made it a Thursday tradition, even though I don't recall what night it orignally ran. Fridays and Saturdays I watch classic films.

Oh, and I too am revisiting DARK SHADOWS on its 50th anniversary air dates, as I have a couple of friends who are doing the same. Right now, we've just gone back to 1897 for Quentin's backstory.

Half-hour comedies from I LOVE LUCY to FRASIER and countless others get worked in any night whenever I have 30 minutes to spare.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
For my part, I Usually do this with The Dukes Of Hazzard on Friday nights at 8 PM and Dallas at 9 PM ..

Talk about a coincidence. Friday nights from the early eighties, late 70's CBS is the only time I make a retro schedule. I don't have Dallas, but I always watch The Incredible Hulk from 8-9, and The Dukes of Hazzard from 9-10 from the same air date (if possible). I only do it for a couple months a year.

I used to do really fun Thursday line up from ABC/CBS as the shows were originally aired/time slot
ABC
8:00-Welcome Back Kotter

8:30-Barney Miller

Switch to CBS

9:00-Hawaii Five O

10:00-Barnaby Jones

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
if I have, it would've been totally by coincidence. A show's original night and time never enters into my mind when I'm deciding what to watch, and that's assuming I even knew what the original night/time were.
Here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_United_States_network_television_schedules

My "go to" source for when something aired. Pick a year, see the schedule. It's quite amazing, and enlightening, to look at 50s/60s schedules and then jump to some from the past 20 or so years. They've gone from fairly simple to convoluted messes.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I have no cable, no television channels. I only use a Oppo blu-ray/dvd player and a MacBook Pro.
I mostly watch my vintage series at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks