What's new

Disney’s Take Over of Fox TV Entertainment (1 Viewer)

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Do you think this will have a positive or negative impact on Fox DVD releases? What is Disney’s track record for releasing DVD content?
I wonder if they would be more likely to finish DVD sets like “The Fall Guy” or less likely.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Right now it is having a negative effect on Fox theatrical releases, especially four low-budget pictures shot under the Fox banner that are in limbo until Disney decides what to do with them. Budding careers are on indefinite hold and it breaks my heart.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, they have in the past. They licensed a few dvds to (I think), Anchor Bay. But that was a long long time ago. I'm sure they're more concerned with their streaming service at the moment.
Streaming service and getting back some of the Marvel (Wolverine and X-Men, Fantastic Four) and LucasFIlm content.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Fox & Disney - the absolutely two worst studios for releasing classic/catalog TV and movies properly, if at all, on physical media.

Disney does the occasional "classic" TV release but it's usually "limited" so get it while you can. They think the "Vault" method of distributing many movies is a good thing and treat Walt era live-action movies as also-rans, typically with poor transfers.

Fox treats most catalog product poorly and often does slip-shod releases. Either 4:3 copies of WS movies or defective pressings of TV seasons (that they refuse to acknowledge).

Both were among the last studios to realize they needed to release WS product properly formatted in OAR on *DVD*. Disney actually called their P&S releases of WS movies "Family friendly." It was Blu-ray that finally got some titles from both studios rereleased in their OAR. Even then both studios have ignored titles fans would love to see receive a proper remaster and release on BR. They both seem to be focusing their attention on TV shows and movies from the past ~20 years.

Combined = not good for physical media, especially so with Disney launching their own streaming service.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Fox & Disney - the absolutely two worst studios for releasing classic/catalog TV and movies properly, if at all, on physical media.

Disney does the occasional "classic" TV release but it's usually "limited" so get it while you can. They think the "Vault" method of distributing many movies is a good thing and treat Walt era live-action movies as also-rans, typically with poor transfers.

Fox treats most catalog product poorly and often does slip-shod releases. Either 4:3 copies of WS movies or defective pressings of TV seasons (that they refuse to acknowledge).

Both were among the last studios to realize they needed to release WS product properly formatted in OAR on *DVD*. Disney actually called their P&S releases of WS movies "Family friendly." It was Blu-ray that finally got some titles from both studios rereleased in their OAR. Even then both studios have ignored titles fans would love to see receive a proper remaster and release on BR. They both seem to be focusing their attention on TV shows and movies from the past ~20 years.

Combined = not good for physical media, especially so with Disney launching their own streaming service.

Thats sad considering they are passing on that revenue stream

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think the real question is what Fox TV on DVD releases. They almost never release a classic TV release and after they got tired of Buffy and Angel after the 5th re-release they don't really release anything.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the real question is what Fox TV on DVD releases. They almost never release a classic TV release and after they got tired of Buffy and Angel after the 5th re-release they don't really release anything.
Exactly. Since Fox got down to almost no releases, Disney can basically only release more. They won't release more but it's not like they can really release less.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid that it will have a negative impact on releasing "classic" titles. I was really hoping that the "Anna and the King" tv series would make it out on DVD. Less chance of it now.

James

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Could Disney buy Batman from WB now, seeing as they now own 50% of the classic series.

Well, anything could happen. I mean, Disney bought Fox. But almost certainly no.

The '66 series means very little in the grand scheme of things and Batman is worth far, far more than that. And that's assuming AT&T would ever even be in the mood to sell.

Plus, they probably already did whatever haggling was necessary to get the series released on Blu and usable by WBDC for licensing, so that would be a non-factor going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks