What's new

Marantz AVR-7704/Xfinity X1 hiccup... (1 Viewer)

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I have had my 7704 for a year & a half. Using XLRs I have it hooked up to 2 Emotiva XPA-1s, 1 XPA2 and 1 XPA-3. I also have the amplifiers attached to the 12v trigger jacks so that everything turns on & off auto-magically. Everything was working swimmingly until I replaced the Xfinity X1 slave box with an Xfinity X1 DVR so I could get 2160p when & if they start broadcasting 4k content.

Once I installed this box, the 12v triggers do not seem to work. When the 7704 turns off, the Emotiva amps do not go into standby mode. Additionally I noticed if I switched everything to standby manually, I would go into the room (I don't use this room daily) a few days later and the amps would be back on and the TV would be on but the 7704 would still be in standby and no sound would be coming from anything. I have no kids, or anyone else that would go into this room.

At this point I turn the power off to the X1 box, amps and the TV when I am done watching. This saves electricity because nothing is in standby mode, but it takes 5-10 minutes for the X1 box to boot when I turn the power back on.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there a setting on the X1 box that may control this?

Finding someone at Comcast that knows how to spell X1, let alone understand their product well enough to help troubleshoot this would be a challenge.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You need to spell out how the 12v trigger cables are routed. This should not happen. 12v switching of amps is remarkably simple. All I can guess is there's some kind of weird CEC thing going on or the 12v switch cables are not routed correctly. BTW, I have an AV7703 and Emotiva amps, so my system is extremely similar. I just don't have any cable/DVR stuff.

Also spell out how hdmi is routed, especially to the DVR.

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
AV7704 - DC Out 1 -> XPA-1 left trigger input XPA-1 left trigger output -> XPA-2 input
AV7704 - DC Out 2-> XPA-1 right trigger input XPA-1 right trigger output -> XPA-3 input

Xfinity X1 HDMI -> AV7704 - Cbl/Sat (1)
AV7704 - Monitor1 ARC -> Sony X900F TV HDMI 3 ARC

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Yes I know it should not happen, and did not happen until I installed the X1 DVR.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm flummoxed. The only suggestion that comes to mind is to be sure CEC control is turned off in the AV7704.

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
As a test, I disconnected both the TV & the Xfinity X1. I power cycled everything. When I power everything back on the 7704 comes up in standby mode and the amps come up in power on mode. I switched the Amps to stand by mode, and pressed the power button on the 7704 remote and the amps stay in standby mode. I manually power on the amps, and press the power button on the remote , the av7704 goes to standby but the amps stay on.

As a further test I powered on the 7704 with the amps in standby. I unplugged one of the trigger cables from the back of the 7704, and plugged it back in. When I did, the amps on that trigger cable powered on.

During all of this the only hdmi cable plugged in was a Sony BDP-360 Blu-Ray player.

At this point it is behaving like a problem with the AV7704.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did you double check the 12v switch configuration in the 7704?

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Don't know anything about that switch...
upload_2019-3-24_16-55-42.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-24_16-55-18.png
    upload_2019-3-24_16-55-18.png
    316.1 KB · Views: 158

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, I'm using common terminology (oops, I meant to say trigger, not switch) rather than what it calls them on this particular unit. That's the connections on the left marked "DC OUT" where you connect the 12v switch cables to turn the amps on and off. How they operate is configured through the setup menu. I was asking you to confirm they are programmed to operate the way you want them to.

I forgot to recommend, whenever things get wonky, it's always a good idea to turn the unit off and disconnect the main power from the preamp for a couple minutes and then plug it back in. Sometimes if there is a power disruption the preamp can get in an unstable state.

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Sorry, I'm using common terminology (oops, I meant to say trigger, not switch) rather than what it calls them on this particular unit. That's the connections on the left marked "DC OUT" where you connect the 12v switch cables to turn the amps on and off. How they operate is configured through the setup menu. I was asking you to confirm they are programmed to operate the way you want them to.

I forgot to recommend, whenever things get wonky, it's always a good idea to turn the unit off and disconnect the main power from the preamp for a couple minutes and then plug it back in. Sometimes if there is a power disruption the preamp can get in an unstable state.

Yes there is a screen which allows you to choose the inputs, and whether when that input is selected if the DC OUT 1, 2 or both. Both is selected for all inputs.

Since the AMPS don't turn off on their own I turn off the Panamax surge protectors they are connected to. The AV7704 is connected to one of them as well. So the Sound Processor remains off most of the time. I started doing this after the 12v triggers stopped working. I contacted Marantz. They suggested doing a factory reset. I have an app for the Audessy XT32 on a tablet, so doing the Factory Reset shouldn't be too painful.

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
BTW, there is a physical switch on the back of the amps which control whether they will work with the trigger voltage. I assumed that maybe there was one on the sound processor I missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks