What's new

Cruel Intentions (1999)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Title: Cruel Intentions

Tagline: In the game of seduction, There is only one rule: Never fall in love.

Genre: Drama, Romance, Thriller, Comedy

Director: Roger Kumble

Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillippe, Reese Witherspoon, Selma Blair, Louise Fletcher, Joshua Jackson, Eric Mabius, Sean Patrick Thomas, Christine Baranski, Alaina Reed Hall, Deborah Offner, Tara Reid, Swoosie Kurtz, Herta Ware, Hiep Thi Le, Charlie O'Connell, Fred Norris, Ginger Williams, Drew Snyder, Phil Hawn

Release: 1999-03-05

Runtime: 97

Plot: Slaking a thirst for dangerous games, Kathryn challenges her stepbrother, Sebastian, to deflower their headmaster's daughter before the summer ends. If he succeeds, the prize is the chance to bed Kathryn. But if he loses, Kathryn will claim his most prized possession.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Cruel Intentions is back in theaters for a one week standard engagement to celebrate it's 20th anniversary.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Is it me or is it a strange choice for such an engagement?

It seems strange, as this movie is by no means generally regarded as a classic or somesuch. But I get it: To a certain cohort, this movie is a kind of cultural touchstone for turn of the millenia youth. Kind of a Breakfast Club for those kids. It's the same reason "10 things i hate about you" was given the same treatment.

I think you have to be around 30 years old now to feel that.

FWIW, i remember seeing it in the theater during its original run 20 years ago. Liked it, but haven't seen it since, in any format.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I was a teen when this came out, and I didn’t get it back then. I was never sure what the point of this movie was. I’ve never seen it since. But I thought it was cool that Bitter Sweet Symphony was in a movie.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was a teen when this came out, and I didn’t get it back then. I was never sure what the point of this movie was. I’ve never seen it since. But I thought it was cool that Bitter Sweet Symphony was in a movie.
The point of it is, it's an adaptation of the French novel Dangerous Liaisons, with a modern millennial spin. It's paralleling millennials to the French aristocracy in the original novel. Steve Jaros mentioned 10 Things I Hate About You, which is kind of similar, since it's a very loose, millennial adaptation of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was mediocre and tame 20 years ago. Haven’t seen it since.

Just bought it for $4.99 on iTunes.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks