Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh Steinberg submitted a new blog post

Bedazzled (1967) Blu-ray Review
Bedazzled-poster.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I found the color down, mostly, compared to TT's The Admirable Crichton. Both are British films but then color in British prints was often different to US and Crichton is the USA print, I think. I also found a lot of sibilants in Bedazzled with the default track. I enjoyed both films, just the same.

Frank Wells

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Wells
There's been discussion on other boards about the picture being slightly vertically stretched (characters and objects being thinner and taller than they should be). Did you notice any such effect?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn’t - I viewed the disc twice on two different displays and it looked okay to me in that regard.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I didn’t - I viewed the disc twice on two different displays and it looked okay to me in that regard.
No stretching at all - what are these other people on about? I'm very glad you took the time to review Bedazzled. Stanley Donen's death seemed to go more or less unremarked just when this was released and this is one of his films in Danny Peary's seminal reference guide Cult Movies 2 from 1983, which I've been waiting 35 years to finally see! As Peary points out, "Bedazzled has become dated, but when it was released, we considered it unique among the British imports, and much better than the other comedies that made it to America at that time. It combined the absurdity and breezy style of the Richard Lester films that were extremely popular in America in the sixties".

IMG_8249.jpg
Dudley Moore and Peter Cook became exponentially more vulgar and outrageous in their record albums as "Derek & Clive", just a few years later. I was shocked watching Bedazzled, at how sweet and charming Moore and Cook were in that film, compared to the expletive-ridden, scatological humor as Derek & Clive!

IMG_8250.jpg

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Where are the screen caps? That's all I need. I don't need words describing pictures.

George Aust

Auditioning
Real Name
George
I'm VERY disappointed that they still keep on releasing this incomplete and butchered movie. One of the funniest moments has been chopped out, deleted, rejected, removed from this movie. It does not matter how much you are willing to pay, you cannot get this movie in it's original and complete form. This is one of the most frustrating things I've ever come across. People are not allowed to see the missing parts of this film. Why? Because in the missing scene, the Devil ( Peter Cook) stands beside a conveyor belt in a pharmaceutical Condom production line, with a small pin in his hand, and carefully and deliberately ( devilishly) pricks a hole in each condom as they go past. That's it. Nobody is allowed to see it. NOT good enough. The runtime was originally 108 mins. This is 104, so it's missing 4 minutes. I will not buy it until they RESTORE this film.

George Aust

Auditioning
Real Name
George
The BBFC website gives Bedazzled (1967) a running time of 103m 26s, which it details as 9309 feet.

The BFI website lists two 35mm prints of Bedazzled (1967) with lengths of 9285 feet (103m 10s) and 9295 feet (103m 17s).
Hi Linux, there must be some error. It depends on which version they reviewed, in this case it must have been the cut version, the "G" rated one. There can also be variations in the film playback speed when the transfer process to video is done. Here's what it comes down to..I don't care how long the film is or was or should be, I just want to see the entire original movie with NO missing scenes missing.. I want to see the entire movie. We are not being allowed to see the entire movie as it originally appeared. I have searched ebay worldwide for an old original VHS copy, none have the original runtime. None of the DVD copies have the cut scene, not even as an extra. Someone out there must have it complete. I am continually dismayed and disappointed at how the owners of this product continue to allow this ridiculous censorship to continue. I would have thought that the NEW Blue Ray version would be complete. Can you confirm to me that it has the missing scene ? Try this, rent the blue ray, or borrow a copy. Take a screenshot of the scene where the conveyor belt is shown, where Peter Cook pinholes the condoms as they go past, post that screenshot here, and I'll go and order a copy.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It was broadcast into every home in the late 1960s, early 70s. It was complete, unedited, non butchered. My siblings remember this as well as I do.
A 'condom joke' was broadcast on TV in the 60s/70s? What country did you live in?

George Aust

Auditioning
Real Name
George
A 'condom joke' was broadcast on TV in the 60s/70s? What country did you live in?
It was not a condom Joke, it was a filmed movie sequence , a part of the movie. And someone has decided that you are not mature enough to see it. Australia.

Last edited:

George Aust

Auditioning
Real Name
George
Where are the screen caps? That's all I need. I don't need words describing pictures.
Could you ask this question in jargon free language? WTF is a screen Cap? How would I know what that is?
I have described the scene so people who have seen the movie in recent times will know they never saw that scene this time. But if they saw it in the 70's, they may remember seeing it.
It was a small part of the film, but very funny. I don't remember where it actually fitted in the order of scenes. It was somewhere around the scene where they were both postmen, I think. I simply want to see the entire original movie.

Last edited:

UnauthorizedAccount

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonas Crumby
That's funny..I've been a huge fan of this movie for years. I owned the original CBS Special Edition Laser Disc and I do not remember that scene.I remember the "record scratching" scene but not the condom scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks