What's new

Life Is A Series Of Dogs... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
George Carlin called (many of) our lives "A series of dogs," and this has certainly been true of me. And I just lost another one. Not, fortunately, to death this time, but to adoption.

I recently had my right hip replaced, and had to find a way of giving my dog, Sarah, the care she needed. Huge caveat -- this wonderful mix of rat terrier, pomeranian and chihuahua (now, there's a perfect storm of nervous, hyper breeds!) was too crazy to leave with friends while I recouped. She was pretty much untrainable despite my efforts to socialize her. I had adopted her back in 2014 because the shelter couldn't find her another home, and I fell in love with her online photo (my current avatar to your left)...but she was wild and undisciplined, and did not like children or other animals. With me, however, she was an angel and a loving companion. But enter any other person into my apartment, and weighing only ten pounds, she thought she was a doberman.

In fact, I was pretty confident I would be able to recover from my surgery before someone else adopted her from the shelter I had to return her to. After all, she'd been available for a full three months before I took her on. Surely six weeks of convalescence wouldn't be too long a time to expect she'd remain unclaimed.

But, fifteen days after I rather tearfully surrendered her, she was gone. Good for her if she has landed a stable new home with someone who will truly love her. No dog (or cat, etc.) should suffer homelessness. These are intended to be domestic animals, and should not be born feral into the world just because someone never bothered to spay or neuter them. They are wholeheartedly social creatures and want nothing more than to live with an alpha human who provides them with safety, shelter, food, and love.

Friends say, "You can always get another dog..."

I live in an apartment that is only large enough for me and my furniture, and a tiny dog. How often do tiny terriers turn up for adoption at shelters? It's rare, as they are usually the first to go. I was fortunate, but lightning rarely strikes twice. Besides, Sarah was my dog. She is the third I have had since 1997. First was a full-bred German Shepherd, who I had to give away when she bit someone. Next came a beautiful, affectionate shepherd/husky mix, who I had to put down when she became too lame to get around (long story, and I still feel like a murderer).

I am almost 70 years old, and a little dementia has set in. Do I really want to subject yet another dog to my own infirmities? Plus, my left hip will need replacing eventually.

What I am really missing about Sarah is.. well, everything. That little face staring at me as her front paws rest on my leg, telling me she wants something...food, a walk, some attention. Her nightly burrowing under my comforter to curl up against my leg, where she remains unmoving until I get up in the morning. The fact that she hardly shed at all, had no odor or bad breath, and was a perfect fit in this living space.

So, I continue to heal and expand my walking territory back to the one I had before the osteoarthritis set in. But one thing, of course, is missing... a little terrier trotting more or less beside my left ankle.

Dogs get under our skin and intertwine with our very DNA. The prospect that Sarah was my last dog ever, for a number of reasons, leaves me empty. Time to spend more time with my human friends, I guess.

upload_2019-3-21_20-50-58.png

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aw, Dick!

You're tugging at my heartstrings.

You shouldn't need to go on without a little companion at your side. You need a dog. And, the thing is, there's a dog out there who needs you. There are way too many dogs in this world who need someone just like you to give them a roof over their heads, a bed in which to sleep, food and health care...and love.

I've got to believe that the folks at the shelter what you dealt with (about Sarah) understand how thoughtful you were about her situation (and your own) and that if you let them know you are looking for a smaller dog they will keep you on a list when the right dog crosses their path. They should take into account your age and any infirmities and find just the right fit for you.

Please contact them and see what they can do for you.

You need another dog in your life. George Carlin (and me) says so! :D

P.S. Good luck with your recovery from surgery. It sounds like you are doing just the right thing getting out and about and testing your limits each time. Just keep listening to your body and don't overdo.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
There's fostering. Or getting a good ole senior dog that will be happy in the background from the shelter. I hate to think of any oldie in a shelter, old sad gray eyes behind some awful fence waiting. I'd take them all home if I could.

Also, just visiting a shelter and if you can afford taking some bags of dog/cat food and kitty litter. Maybe a box of treats to hand out.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Or getting a good ole senior dog

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, James!

A senior would fit your needs perfectly, Dick. They're calm. They know their way around. They're not demanding. They're just happy to have a comfy place to nap. And they will love you forever for getting them out of the shelter. And little dogs live much longer than those bigger guys do.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sorry to hear about your parting with Sarah. I'm sure it's hard given what happened, but you can feel good that you were thinking about what was best for her at the time. Unfortunately, things didn't work out as you'd hoped. But as Mike says, there are countless other potential friends of all sizes out there that could use a loving home if you feel you're still able to take care of another.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sorry to hear about your parting with Sarah. I'm sure it's hard given what happened, but you can feel good that you were thinking about what was best for her at the time. Unfortunately, things didn't work out as you'd hoped. But as Mike says, there are countless other potential friends of all sizes out there that could use a loving home if you feel you're still able to take care of another.

I'll be looking into it at a later time, but there will always be issues. Thanks for your support.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'll be looking into it at a later time, but there will always be issues. Thanks for your support.
The older we get, the more complicated things get. In another lifetime, when I said goodbye to a beloved cat, I knew there would be a successor. Now we have 2 dogs and 11 cats and it's likely we've adopted our last family member. That really bothers me.

Seems like I've read that a pet keeps the mind active and healthy. They slow down the effects of things like dementia. So don't put the idea of a new dog totally.

I know one thing I'd do. I'd call the shelter and ask them to politely inquire about how Sarah is doing. They can't give your the adopters names but surely they could ask on your behalf. I'd also tell them to let them know if she is returned.

We've recently adopted a 12 year-old dog and it's very rewarding. Jada is gentle, sweet, and slow, and she's grateful to have a loving home.

BTW, I just hate when I fill out my dob on an online form and I have to give that year wheel a mighty spin just to get it anywhere close to 1946. It used to be easier. ;)

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The older we get, the more complicated things get. In another lifetime, when I said goodbye to a beloved cat, I knew there would be a successor. Now we have 2 dogs and 11 cats and it's likely we've adopted our last family member. That really bothers me.

Were I to visit your home, I would be dead from asphyxiation (severe allergy to cat dander) within an hour. I like cats, and they're easier to care for, but not a possibility for me.

Seems like I've read that a pet keeps the mind active and healthy. They slow down the effects of things like dementia. So don't put the idea of a new dog totally.

I probably won't. Just goin' through a period of mourning at the moment.

I know one thing I'd do. I'd call the shelter and ask them to politely inquire about how Sarah is doing. They can't give your the adopters names but surely they could ask on your behalf. I'd also tell them to let them know if she is returned.

Great idea. I'll do that!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
@Dick I just ran across this thread and I started to get misty eyed again. Is there a resolution? How is Sarah doing? Did you get another dog? How are you doing? Merry Xmas to you today!

Thanks so much for the follow-up.

Sarah is in someone else's hands. I could not get information about her current situation from the shelter.

The really great news is that, back in January '21, almost a year ago, I adpoted Natalie, whose photo is my current avatar. I'd been looking for a small dog ever since I recovered from my hip surgeries, but during the pandemic, these animals are extremely hard to find. As luck would have it, though, just days after I received my $600. stimulus check, Natty's photo showed up on the shelter web site, and I wasted no time racing down there to pay the fee and buy up all the necessary dog stuff. Turns out the puppy had belonged to a young couple who were in the process of a divorce, and neither party wanted to take her. In hind sight, I can't help but wonder, "Are you freakin' crazy? You would likely never find a better companion!"

Natalie is now 22 months old, but only weighs 21 pounds (she'll always be a puppy to me), and in some ways is a spittin' image of Sarah. This is inarguably the best dog I have ever owned. Unlike Sarah, she is mellow, incredible affectionate, and adaptable. Everyone who meets her wants to take her home (not a chance!). She loves all people and gets along well with almost every dog we've encountered at the local dog park. She travels so well it would be easy to forget she was riding in the car (again, very unlike Sarah, who couldn't stay still or keep quiet). She has patterned her sleeping hours to exactly match my own, and does not disturb me (even as late as 9:00 a.m.) until I am ready to get up. She listens well and obeys the half-dozen or so commands I have been working on, the only exception being that she tugs at her lead when another dog is in view. I'm still working on that.

This dog is a gift, and if I didn't have her to keep me company right now, I am fairly certain I would have gone insane months ago.

So, the story ends well. :drum:

...And Merry Christmas (a day late) to you, and to everyone on the forum.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Rick:

What a wonderful outcome. There is no greater blessing than when both sides in the relationship prosper and grow from being taken care of by the other. Give Natalie an extra hug from me! :D

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Thanks so much for the follow-up.

Sarah is in someone else's hands. I could not get information about her current situation from the shelter.

The really great news is that, back in January '01, almost a year ago, I adpoted Natalie, whose photo is my current avatar. I'd been looking for a small dog ever since I recovered from my hip surgeries, but during the pandemic, these animals are extremely hard to find. As luck would have it, though, just days after I received my $600. stimulus check, Natty's photo showed up on the shelter web site, and I wasted no time racing down there to pay the fee and buy up all the necessary dog stuff. Turns out the puppy had belonged to a young couple who were in the process of a divorce, and neither party wanted to take her. In hind sight, I can't help but wonder, "Are you freakin' crazy? You would likely never find a better companion!"

Natalie is now 22 months old, but only weighs 21 pounds (she'll always be a puppy to me), and in some ways is a spittin' image of Sarah. This is inarguably the best dog I have ever owned. Unlike Sarah, she is mellow, incredible affectionate, and adaptable. Everyone who meets her wants to take her home (not a chance!). She loves all people and gets along well with almost every dog we've encountered at the local dog park. She travels so well it would be easy to forget she was riding in the car (again, very unlike Sarah, who couldn't stay still or keep quiet). She has patterned her sleeping hours to exactly match my own, and does not disturb me (even as late as 9:00 a.m.) until I am ready to get up. She listens well and obeys the half-dozen or so commands I have been working on, the only exception being that she tugs at her lead when another dog is in view. I'm still working on that.

This dog is a gift, and if I didn't have her to keep me company right now, I am fairly certain I would have gone insane months ago.

So, the story ends well. :drum:

...And Merry Christmas (a day late) to you, and to everyone on the forum.

That's wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks