Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

Aquaman UHD Review
aquaman_featured-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So glad to hear that the switching aspect ratios have been retained - a first for Warner on a non-Christopher Nolan project.

MG Stearns

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Stearns
I loathe switching ratios. It’s extremely distracting. Why not just film all of the non-IMAX footage in the same ratio? Hopefully it’s safe to crop, as I have a “scope” projection screen.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Again, although I always vow to watch for the shifting ratios at the theatre and at home, I quickly forget when the movie starts, and I think I have only caught them once!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The vagaries of trying to outguess the manufacturers these days.

2d or 4K mostly Tall ratio plus Atmos or 3D Wide/No Atmos.
Double whammy

Yeah, but the difference here is, the packaging clearly states the 3D version has variable aspect ratios. It’s not that the product’s announced specs are different from what I want (like not including Atmos on 3D), but that it’s not what it says it is on the package.

Mine just arrived, popped it in, and sure enough, the 3D is constant 2.4:1. I’m sure it won’t get me anywhere but I sent off letters to Warner Home Video and Warner Archive about this.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but the difference here is, the packaging clearly states the 3D version has variable aspect ratios. It’s not that the product’s announced specs are different from what I want (like not including Atmos on 3D), but that it’s not what it says it is on the package.

Mine just arrived, popped it in, and sure enough, the 3D is constant 2.4:1. I’m sure it won’t get me anywhere but I sent off letters to Warner Home Video and Warner Archive about this.

I haven't seen the rear packaging.

Maybe it was one of the other countries (or even a different movie) that showed the 4K/2D with Variable Ratio (Or 2.4 and 1.78) and the 3D just said 2.4. Everybody thought that surely was a misprint.

If it actually says the 3D disc is variable then maybe there is some hope that might do something.

EDIT: I found some rear covers of the Indian release with listed the 3D as 2.4 only which is where that worry first surfaced and it seems someone found one of the EU copies somewhere which agreed, but those looked like Stock Photos.
I found some specs from the Korean site that if translated properly said 3D was Variable.

I can't find a pic of the US items at all. Can you post one?

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had forgotten about that question until this afternoon when I picked mine up. I wonder if Warner will respond or just call it a typo and move along.

I tried to find which item had the 3D with just 2.4 and it turned out it was the early scans of the India Release that had it right -- of all the times they've had mistakes it turns out they had the correct information for once.

The Best Buy exclusive says 2D and 3D High Definition Variable 2.4 and 1.78 without qualification though the audio specs very specifically Atmos-True HD English (2D only)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So, I wrote to Warner Bros about the 3D disc being incorrect to two different contacts - one was an email to Sherri Bogard, who handles Warner's in-house customer service for physical media issues, and the other to Warner Archive's Facebook account via a private message, since WA handles most of the 3D distribution on this title. In the past, whenever I've had an issue, question, compliment or complaint, I've heard back from them usually with a single business day.

It's now been a week since I sent my letters, and radio silence on both end.

I think they know they made a mistake and used the wrong master on the disc, and are just figuring out how they're going to deal with it. If they were going to stand by the product as it was, I would have expected to have gotten a "That was just a typo on the packaging, the disc is correct" response already. I'm trying to be optimistic that the silence means they're at least looking into it.

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Why did Mera steal a boat for Aquaman and herself when the two are capable of swimming underwater at supersonic speed ?

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Why did Mera steal a boat for Aquaman and herself when the two are capable of swimming underwater at supersonic speed ?
The waters are a bit murky on that point ... At the risk of sounding a bit like Emperor Joseph II (in Amadeus) ...at nearly 21/2 hours the film is about an hour too long IMHO.That whole sequence could have been cut.It doesn't really seem to add much to the denouement ...:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks