What's new

International German "Roman Empire" problems (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
No its not about the image quality-more about defective discs of The Fall of the Roman Empire to give it its full title.
Tony Mann's fine lavish intelligent epic and unfortunate flop.

I just tried to load my copy and my Oppo refused to do so.
Got two friends of mine to check their copies-one wouldn't load like mine, the other did but then jammed and wouldn't play any further.
If you have this disc-which is the best available transfer until someone does it properly-you need to check it out.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I like the film too and have The Miriam Collection dvd which is ok but would love to see a fresh new release on Blu-ray. Both Blu-rays of Circus World & 55 Days at Peking look great.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have the UK Blu ray and the USA DVD box set, but remember they forgot to add the overture to the Blu Ray.
It just a shame all the 70mm prints have colour faded, as the BFI has the 70mm slightly longer version.

Last edited:

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Yesterday I wanted to play my German BD of El Cid and it would not play anymore. Checked Fall of the Roman Empire and it's also dead. It's apparently a known problem and it only affects the 3 disc releases from Spirit Media (from 2009 I believe).

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Yesterday I wanted to play my German BD of El Cid and it would not play anymore. Checked Fall of the Roman Empire and it's also dead. It's apparently a known problem and it only affects the 3 disc releases from Spirit Media (from 2009 I believe).
Danny, Get the UK Blurays of El Cid and Roman Empire. I have had them since they came out. Region 2 Anchor Bay release's. No Problems at all !

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Danny, Get the UK Blurays of El Cid and Roman Empire. I have had them since they came out. Region 2 Anchor Bay release's. No Problems at all !

Thanks for the suggestion but the UK releases seem to be out of print, at least I can't find them on Amazon UK. The UK release of Roman Empire is also missing the overture if I'm not mistaken?
These movies really deserve new 4K masters, sadly these are not on the horizon. As I really love these movies I do want to rebuy them on BD but at the lowest possible cost. Looking at the options the German single disc re-releases seem to be the cheapest so I'll probably get those.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe that these discs with their problematic transfers also suffer from playback issues - as if the picture quality wasn't punishment enough. I also own the original releases but since I bought them I was lucky to screen both El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire at 70mm festivals so I never got around to watch the Blu-ray's.

Hopefully my next viewing will either be at another festival or even better a (UHD-) Blu-ray from at least a new 4k scan of the OCN. I certainly do not want to reward the currently available Blu-ray quality with another purchase and maybe in the not too distant future I won't have to anymore.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Unfortunately the U.K. Roman Empire doesn’t have the Overture, entr’acte or Exit Music.

My German Spirit Media disc still plays OK.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Unfortunately the U.K. Roman Empire doesn’t have the Overture, entr’acte or Exit Music.

My German Spirit Media disc still plays OK.
I know, I wish it had those three extras. I was disappointed when I first saw it. But it's better than nothing. All we can do is Wait like everything else.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just checking to see if anybody who has the German Blu-ray released by Spirit Media GmbH has listen to the commentary on the disc? According to the back cover the commentary is in English and any thoughts on the picture quality?

1608219483782.png

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I have this Angelo.
No pressing problems to report. It still plays fine
It basically repackages the old Miriam DVD release.
The commentary on the film is in English and interesting but far from revelatory.
Main contributor is Bronston's son.
There is a bonus disc of the many shorts about the film such as Rome in Madrid.
Again all in English.
5.1 sound is fine as is the picture as far as it goes.
For those of us who have seen it in 70, it is a poor facsimile of what it should look like, but the best there is until we get a 4k restoration(if only!!!)
Incidentally the Miriam box does provide a great case for the BD, so it wasn't entirely useless.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have this Angelo.
No pressing problems to report. It still plays fine
It basically repackages the old Miriam DVD release.
The commentary on the film is in English and interesting but far from revelatory.
Main contributor is Bronston's son.
There is a bonus disc of the many shorts about the film such as Rome in Madrid.
Again all in English.
5.1 sound is fine as is the picture as far as it goes.
For those of us who have seen it in 70, it is a poor facsimile of what it should look like, but the best there is until we get a 4k restoration(if only!!!)
Incidentally the Miriam box does provide a great case for the BD, so it wasn't entirely useless.
Thanks for the info John and I will stick with my Miriam dvd box set until there is a better release.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Is this the Tohokushinsha?

Attachments

• fall of the roman empire.jpg
    fall of the roman empire.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 66

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Damn it, same untimely deaths of my German "deluxe" 3 disc StudioCanal blu-rays of Fall of the Roman Empire AND El Cid! I just bought the Spirit BDs to replace them and now must wait for these to disintegrate, too. Something is rotten with both StudioCanal and Spirit, I guess. I haven't had that huge a problem with failed discs generally, but when it happens to my most beloved films I get really angry and sad. Yes, these films certainly deserve a stateside release in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks