What's new

Subwoofer Popping With No Input (1 Viewer)

Automaton25

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Hello Everyone,

My issue is with a popping subwoofer. Generally the thump occurs when there is no audio playing. There is no buzzing from any speaker before it after the thump.

My setup consists of a Sony amp (the model escapes me at the moment), 5 Elac Unifi speakers and a Sumiko S10 subwoofer connected via a wireless module. The subwoofer is set to on. I isolated the subwoofer for sometime without the wireless transmitter and did not have a problem, but the issue is pretty intermittent, maybe only a couple times per month. The subwoofer is maybe 20' away across an open room with only a couch in the middle.

The receiver was used with my previous system and the subwoofer would buzz but it was 10 years old.

I have tried reaching out to the manufacturer but they are not responding.

The amp is approximately 7 years old and was roughly $400 when I bought it. I suspect it may be the culprit but I don't want to have to but a new one if there is nothing wrong with it.

Wireless connectivity in the house includes 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz WiFi and Bluetooth devices.

I have been working with the store I bought the subwoofer from as they have been the only place willing to help at all. This last thump shook the entire house, caused a flashback for a veteran, and terrified our dogs. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Andrew

ando1brett

Auditioning
Real Name
Brett Anderson
Same problem here. Sony receiver. Old JBL powered subwoofer. Sounds fantastic when there is audio going through it. I always leave the subwoofer on. Randomly, when the receiver is off, the subwoofer will make a fairly loud pop. It's now occurring so frequently (and sometimes in the middle of the night) that I've just totally turned it off.

Appreciate any thoughts on what the problem may be and how to fix (if possible).

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
It probably has an auto off timer that turns it off after a while with no use. Then when a signal comes back, it pops on again. It sounds like that auto off circuit isn't working properly, and it's turning on and off randomly. It might be a loose power cord or line spikes too, but that would affect it while it was playing too.

Automaton25

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
It probably has an auto off timer that turns it off after a while with no use. Then when a signal comes back, it pops on again. It sounds like that auto off circuit isn't working properly, and it's turning on and off randomly. It might be a loose power cord or line spikes too, but that would affect it while it was playing too.

It only seems to happen while there is no input. The sub did it this morning with all av equipment having been off for at least 7 hours. The sub is set to on instead of the auto function and has been for some time.

Since my initial post, I have replaced the sub cable with a brand new AudioQuest Black Lab cable. The grounds are hooked up and it is connected according with the directional arrows pointing towards the sub transmitter.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
You should not leave the sub on all the time. It can overheat. That could cause popping. If you leave the sub on 24/7 that could be the culprit. Sub amps are very powerful and run very hot. You'll burn it out faster if you leave it on all the time.

Automaton25

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
You should not leave the sub on all the time. It can overheat. That could cause popping. If you leave the sub on 24/7 that could be the culprit. Sub amps are very powerful and run very hot. You'll burn it out faster if you leave it on all the time.

I had it in the on position to see if that would alleviate the problem, it obviously didn't. The store I bought it from is trying to get a hold of the manufacturer to see what they say.

The sub is plugged into a surge protector and there have not been any storms lately. It's also connected to the receiver wirelessly. Could a WiFi network interfere with it? I'm not sure what frequency the sub operates on. It's using the manufacturer's wireless setup.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Wifi might be the problem. Can you hard wire it to a non connected cable and see if it still does it off the wifi?

My mom had wifi speakers once. They popped all the time and dropped out too. But her wifi wasn't very good.

Automaton25

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Wifi might be the problem. Can you hard wire it to a non connected cable and see if it still does it off the wifi?

My mom had wifi speakers once. They popped all the time and dropped out too. But her wifi wasn't very good.

The wifi is my home network. The sub is running completely separately. I don't know what it's using. I was just curious if the 2.4ghz and 5ghz from the home network might cause interference.

The audible is pretty indescriminate though so I find it hard to believe that something so heavily used would cause do little interference.

The middle the sub is connected it to is made by Sumiko and specifically manufactured for this and only this.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Then it sounds like you need to send it in for repair. Maybe the power supply is crapping out.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would try to eliminate the wireless connection to the sub to see if that's the source of the problem. Anything else is just shooting in the dark, until you eliminate that as the source of the problem. Wireless audio is rife with problems like this.

BTW, those Uni-Fi speakers are very good, but they are rough on amps, and I can guarantee your Sony receiver isn't up to the task of driving them, unfortunately. As long as you don't play them loud, you're probably OK, but your receiver is likely to heat up quite a bit.

Automaton25

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I would try to eliminate the wireless connection to the sub to see if that's the source of the problem. Anything else is just shooting in the dark, until you eliminate that as the source of the problem. Wireless audio is rife with problems like this.

BTW, those Uni-Fi speakers are very good, but they are rough on amps, and I can guarantee your Sony receiver isn't up to the task of driving them, unfortunately. As long as you don't play them loud, you're probably OK, but your receiver is likely to heat up quite a bit.

Thanks for the response! I connected the sub directly to the amp and it still did it.

The Sony does get quite hot. The plan is to put in either an Anthem 520 or s Yamaha Rx a780.

The speakers are crossed over at 80hz to ease the load. During a movie the amp stays pretty cool, during all channel music it gets pretty hot.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
At this point, the most likely problem is the sub’s amp..

Any receiver will struggle with those speakers, but some will be better than others. Eventually they will just wear the Sony out. Only a hearty external amp will truly handle them. Those are very demanding speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks