What's new

Sony x900f ARC multichannel audio question. (1 Viewer)

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I bought a Sony x900f 75" TV and hooked it up to my Marantz AV7704 via the x900f HDMI 3/ARC to the Monitor 1 ARC on the AV7704. Unfortunately I only get stereo when I send the signal from the TV to the Sound processor when viewing Netflix. I haven't tried too many other sources on the TV so I am not sure whether it is the TV in general or Netflix in particular causing the problem.

I have been unable to find any settings either on the TV or the Sound processor.

Where should I look, and what troubleshooting steps should I use to resolve this issue?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You're using the TV's internal NetFlix app?

Have you double checked the preamp's on-screen or main display to confirm which channels it is receiving?

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Yes I have tried the Netflix App in the TV.

When I press Info on the remote, it displays stereo for input, stereo + sub for output.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Honestly, streaming on "Smart" TVs sucks. Same for the built-in streaming in players. If streaming is important, I would get a good dedicated streaming device. I used to think streaming just never worked very well, until I tried an AppleTV, and I've never gone back. ATV's are expensive, but Roku makes some good stuff that's a lot cheaper.

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
You will never find an Apple product in my home, and only in my office if it belongs to a client.

I have never really played with the streaming on my Vizio M series in my family room. Perhaps I will check it out and compare it to the Sony.

I bought the Sony as a monitor. However since it has these features, and the model I bought wasn't the "entry level" I thought they would work reasonably well. Perhaps not.

Maybe I'll see what Sony's customer service is like...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As a general rule, you should be able to get at least DD 5.1 on the NetFlix app.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Check The [Digital Audio Out] under Settings - TV - Sound. It may be set to PCM intead of Dolby Digital+.

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Check The [Digital Audio Out] under Settings - TV - Sound. It may be set to PCM intead of Dolby Digital+.
It was set to PCM, The other choices; (paraphrasing)

1) Auto send compressed sound to receiver.
2) Auto send uncompressed/compressed sound to receiver.
3) PCM

Since I had no Idea what these meant, I had previously chosen PCM which at least I knew. My current interpretation (which may be wrong) is option 1 says, send the signal to the receiver and let it deal with it. Option 2 says If I recognize the signal I (the TV) will handle it other wise I'll send it as is to the receiver.

Option 1 seems to work and my audio is much better.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It was set to PCM, The other choices; (paraphrasing)

1) Auto send compressed sound to receiver.
2) Auto send uncompressed/compressed sound to receiver.
3) PCM

Since I had not Idea what these meant, I had previously chosen PCM which at least I knew. My current interpretation (which may be wrong) is option 1 says, send the signal to the receiver and let it deal with it. Option 2 says If I recognize the signal I'll (the TV) will handle it other wise I'll send it as is to the TV.

Option 1 seems to work and my audio is much better.

Yeah PCM is just going to be a 2.0 signal. I'm assuming you had your dvd/blu-ray/UHD/Whatever plugged in directly to your receiver. That would bypass ARC altogether, so it had to be what the tv was sending it. Either way, the manual for your tv set didn't list the options for that function so basically it was an educated guess on my part.

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Yeah PCM is just going to be a 2.0 signal. I'm assuming you had your dvd/blu-ray/UHD/Whatever plugged in directly to your receiver. That would bypass ARC altogether, so it had to be what the tv was sending it. Either way, the manual for your tv set didn't list the options for that function so basically it was an educated guess on my part.
I have an Xfinity X1 DVR & and Sony BDP-S370 plugged into the sound processor.

When the Sony UBP-X800M2 becomes available in May, I will replace the BDP-S370.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks