What's new

Brad new Laserdisc player (Panasonic LX-121) on sale at eBay. (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I was tempted to jump this one myself but I don't own a LaserDisc. But I'm sure someone here on HTF does and would kill for a new player. Here's at least 1 (and possibly 2).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-...055535?hash=item261846e0ef:g:jQoAAOSwsYtcmXYA

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Well it's unique.

It's appears like it was a commercial player so I'm not sure what it's actually purpose was. Many untis like this were to be used in schools for educational videos or businesses to continuously loop a 30 minute disc or factories to do 1000 times per month repeated training videos, trade shows to loop an advertising pitch. Some of them could be used to do semi interactive quizzes or training sessions almost like those LaserActive Disc Based Video Games (?Dragon's Lair I think was one of the biggest) . I'm pretty sure most of those Games used Pioneer Commercial players

OTOH a 1992 era player that hasn't been used/oiled/serviced -- who knows what's going on inside. Everything could be rotten or frozen up.
I'm almost bet the belt is dry/cracked, who knows what the capacitors are doing especially not knowing where it was stored for 25+ years.

A couple of the Panasonic Players were pretty well respected -- the 900 and 1000. The 1000 was gorgeous, but had some issues that needed tweaked from my memory and listening to Kurtis Bahr write about them. Didn't suffer from the dreaded "smear" that so many Pioneers had an issue with

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well it's unique.

It's appears like it was a commercial player so I'm not sure what it's actually purpose was. Many untis like this were to be used in schools for educational videos or businesses to continuously loop a 30 minute disc or factories to do 1000 times per month repeated training videos, trade shows to loop an advertising pitch. Some of them could be used to do semi interactive quizzes or training sessions almost like those LaserActive Disc Based Video Games (?Dragon's Lair I think was one of the biggest) . I'm pretty sure most of those Games used Pioneer Commercial players

OTOH a 1992 era player that hasn't been used/oiled/serviced -- who knows what's going on inside. Everything could be rotten or frozen up.
I'm almost bet the belt is dry/cracked, who knows what the capacitors are doing especially not knowing where it was stored for 25+ years.

A couple of the Panasonic Players were pretty well respected -- the 900 and 1000. The 1000 was gorgeous, but had some issues that needed tweaked from my memory and listening to Kurtis Bahr write about them. Didn't suffer from the dreaded "smear" that so many Pioneers had an issue with

Shows what I know. Never thought of the possibility that sheer age might render a unused player inoperative. But that seems quite possible.
Come to think of it, I might want to check on my very little used VHS player. Might have the same problem.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Shows what I know. Never thought of the possibility that sheer age might render a unused player inoperative. But that seems quite possible.
Come to think of it, I might want to check on my very little used VHS player. Might have the same problem.

If it was stored properly maybe it could be fine, but I've always been taught that most electronics don't seem to like sitting idle for (extreme) long periods of time. Belts dry out,rubber deteriorates, lubricants dry up if they're not being refreshed of smeared around. Well I guess I've heard that more with vintage care, but old electronics too -- turn it on and drive it occasionally, check old belts, hoses, oil, tires to make sure they're OK.

If it was stored in a non climate controlled space then who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks