What's new

Jeopardy! (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
He is a juggernaut. Fascinating to watch. I always enjoy Jeopardy, but can generally take it or leave it, depending on what else is going on, but I have felt compelled to watch this guy. I feel sorry for the other contestants as he blasts through a category, they are like candles to a forest fire. And I have to say the look on his face when he gave two incorrect responses this past Tuesday was priceless.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
He's one of the first contestants I've seen willing to use the Daily Doubles as they should be used. It's a huge peeve of mine watching the show when contestants find the DD's then only make a small wager.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Richards is so much better as a host than Ken Jennings. I'd be fine if he's the permanent new host. Not sure why they need to keep working with "guest hosts" when this guy is already on the staff.

Really didn't care for Jennings' shows.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I agree that he did well, but I liked Ken Jennings more than I thought I would. So far, they have had two guest hosts that are good IMO.

Speaking of Jeopardy, I stumbled across the shocking news that young champion Brayden Smith died suddenly at age 24 just over a week ago. It may have been mentioned on the show, but if so, I missed it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree that he did well, but I liked Ken Jennings more than I thought I would. So far, they have had two guest hosts that are good IMO.

Speaking of Jeopardy, I stumbled across the shocking news that young champion Brayden Smith died suddenly at age 24 just over a week ago. It may have been mentioned on the show, but if so, I missed it.
Yeah, I also read that. I think the shows airing now were recorded before he died. I read that it was due to complications from surgery of some sort, but haven't heard any other details.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I really like Ken Jennings as host. He started off a little wobbly but soon found his groove.

Mike Richards is probably far too busy being executive producer of both this and Wheel of Fortune to become full-time host.

I want to see how well Katie Couric does. But, as Alex used to say, it's not about the host, it's about the contestants and the game.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jennings was okay, but they are going to have a hard time finding someone who can replace Trebek. I haven't seen any of the shows with the new guy.

I found Jennings voice to be somewhat grating. Trebek had a voice like melted butter. Jenning's voice sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard compared to Trebek.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Too bad, as no one else in this revolving door of pseudo-celebs will probably be as good. Jennings does not have the voice or the cadence for the job.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I agree, Jennings voice just doesn’t have the necessary presence. But they may end up with him anyway if they can’t find just the right person.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
One thing I can say for Jennings, is that at least I believe he actually knows the answers, as he has proved himself when they were not being provided. I liked him and hope they eventually give him the job.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
One thing I can say for Jennings, is that at least I believe he actually knows the answers, as he has proved himself when they were not being provided. I liked him and hope they eventually give him the job.
I feel the same way. I loved the way he interacted with the contestants. Not surprising since he was one for so long.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
LeVar Burton has said that hosting "Jeopardy!" is his dream job, and he pushed hard for one of the guest hosting slots, mounting a successful online campaign that caught the attention of the show's producers.

Tonight was the first episode of his run, and it was a bit of a mixed bag. His greatest strength I thought was reading the clues: He has good diction, and he understood the flow of where the pauses and emphasis should go like Alex did. His pace was a bit too hurried generally, though, probably due to nerves. His transitions to keep the game moving also need work, and he needs to be better prepared when contestants give answers that are partially or almost correct, but not quite enough to be considered a correct response.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
What happened to the sound effect to let contestants know that time is up? Burton had to verbally say when it was up.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I haven't been overly impressed with many of the guest hosts. Didn't see Burton's debut yet (it's on my DVR). My top rankings so far for guest hosts in no particular order are Mike Richards, Aaron Rodgers, and Mayim Bialik. I also thought Buzzy did a good job with the TOC.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Burton did a good job considering it was his first show today. I think he came off as nervous. Hopefully that gets better throughout the course of the week. But he also seemed very warm and genuine.

Also:

The contestant at the middle podium today crashed and burned very badly, ending Double Jeopardy in the red by -7,400. This would always be an unfortunate result but probably moreso for a host's first game. I'm guessing it's easier for the host and certainly more engaging when everybody plays well. Dismissing a player before Final Jeopardy is never a good result, but this guy just kept digging himself further and further in the hole, which had to be difficult. I'm interested to see what happens when Burton hosts three players who are all good at the game, and hopefully that happens tomorrow.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Burton flubbed a bit. Especially the handling of the Manuel Noriega question.

It sounds like the -7,400 is a new record low score. Previous low was -6,800.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
He was a lot smoother and more comfortable tonight.

I agree. It probably also helped that all three contestants played well today. The enormity of what happened yesterday would have been difficult for any host, much less on his first day. It is probably easier to run when the contestants are doing well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks