What's new

BluRay 4K / STREAMING/ THEATER (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
The MPAA recently reported the sales of BluRay/DVD has taken a dramatic drop of 50% . Streaming was reported as the reason for the drop in sales of physical media. Netflix alone was reported to have almost 150 million subscribers. Recently important people in entertainment asked for rule changes so movies produced and financed by Netflix did not qualify for the Academy Awards. The reason for this request is based on Netflix not following the voluntary rule that movies displayed in theaters are not released on BluRay/DVDS for 90 days. Those people are doing everything they can to protect the theater viewing from having a similar fate as BluRay/DVD sales. What we are seeing with BluRay/DVD sales is what we witnessed in the audio industry, CD sales, several years ago. For the majority of the general public cost and convenience are what is most important to them not high quality audio and video. What does all this mean for collectors, for those of us who prefer a physical copy of the movie? With the buying market shrinking most likely older titles, know as catalog titles, will be held back from release on BluRay/DVD. For many titles on BluRay what is available now maybe as good as it ever gets. Do you now buy a movie with better quality than the DVD release but falls short of a quality BlyRay? BluRays of Fall of the Roman Empire, El Cid, Barabbas are prime examples. Will we ever see The Alamo, Raintree County or At Play in the Fields of the Lord on quality BluRay? Sadly probably not for them the VHS Tape maybe as good as it gets.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Recently Steven Spielberg and others in entertainment asked for rule changes so movies produced and financed by Netflix did not qualify for the Academy Awards. T
I don’t think that’s accurate.
For the majority of the general public cost and convenience are what is most important to them not high quality audio and video
Streaming video with a good connection imo is as good or very very close to the physical disc.
Do you now buy a movie with better quality than the DVD release but falls short of a quality BlyRay?
Are you talking about buying a digital copy? If so my previous comment stands.
The MPAA recently reported the sales of BluRay/DVD has taken a dramatic drop of 50% .
Link please.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Link please.
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/041219-1200

"First up is a report, from the Motion Picture Association of America, that reveals a shocking 50% decline in global physical media sales over the last five years. The market data comes from both the DEG (Digital Entertainment Group) and IHS Markit. The drop is in dollar amount, from $25.2 billion in 2014 to just $13.1 in 2018. And there is no sign whatsoever that physical 4K Ultra HD or any kind of 8K Blu-ray format is going to recover those losses. 4K, though popular with enthusiasts, is just 5.3% of current physical disc sales (regular DVD still accounts for nearly 60% of all disc sales worldwide). "

https://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/MPAA-THEME-Report-2018.pdf

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
"First up is a report, from the Motion Picture Association of America, that reveals a shocking 50% decline in global physical media sales over the last five years.
Ok. Over Five years. That extra bit of info makes more sense.

Ernest

Supporting Actor

Streaming video with a good connection imo is as good or very very close to the physical disc.

Link please.
The article I read, published on various new sites, stated many in the entertainment industry believe streaming companies should be classified the same as TV. I subscribe to Netflix with Spectrum Internet and would classify the video much better than DVD not on the par with BluRay. No I was not making any comments about digital copy.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I subscribe to Netflix with Spectrum Internet and would classify the video much better than DVD not on the par with BluRay.
I was referring more to vudu and iTunes but I disagree with your opinion as Netflix on my setup looks, as I said, as good or very very close to the physical copies. And 4K streaming is also too close to call on my equipment.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Movie studios have never liked the ownership model for their films. They have been wanting a method of eliminating ownership of their films for decades and now they are close to having it with streaming.

Ernest

Supporting Actor

Link please.
Tino several news media, The Guardian, Pages Six, Variety, Indie Wire to name a few, reported the story stating Netflix movies that only play in the theaters for 2 or 3 weeks should not qualify for Academy Award consideration. Tino you can find the articles searching Google or Bing like I did.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tino several news media, The Guardian, Pages Six, Variety, Indie Wire to name a few, reported the story stating Netflix movies that only play in the theaters for 2 or 3 weeks should not qualify for Academy Award consideration. Tino you can find the articles searching Google or Bing like I did.
I know that. I was referring to your Spielberg comment which was not entirely accurate.

Edit: I see you have edited your original post and removed Spielbergs name.

Last edited:

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I know that. I was referring to your Spielberg comment which was not entirely accurate.

Edit: I see you have edited your original post and removed Spielbergs name.
Yes I did edit the post though I do agree all movies should not be considered for Academy Awards unless they are delayed from streaming or release on BluRay/DVD for 90 days. Don't get me wrong I think streaming is the future and the future is now I just don't want streaming to harm the movie theater experience. With Disney and Apple entering the streaming market it will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. The field is becoming very crowded and those that adopted to streaming to reduce expenses will now face some very tough decisions.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I have to admit, there is a part of me that sees in 4K BD the same thing I loved about Laserdisc. It plays to a very specific crowd who is willing to pay more for unique items. Hell, I still have some of my CAV DIsney laserdisc special editions because some of that content was never reissued in anything else.

But I think 4K/8K BD is going to be a niche market, and that's fine. I think streaming does significantly reduce BD/DVD sells, and that's OK too.. yes, BD and 4K will be higher than streaming for the near future.. but they are also locked into specific CODECs that can't easily change; and as more horsepower is available, better performing CODECs will be possible.

The move regarding Netflix/Amazon VS Oscars is far more about movie theaters, who are concerned they have to play oscar oriented films, which bring in less money than summer smashes, and now some of that content they won't have anyway. For small and arts theaters (independent chains) it is a problem. But, Netflix/Amazon have generally been OK with doing at least one weekend run in theater on some productions.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yes I did edit the post though I do agree all movies should not be considered for Academy Awards unless they are delayed from streaming or release on BluRay/DVD for 90 days. Don't get me wrong I think streaming is the future and the future is now I just don't want streaming to harm the movie theater experience. With Disney and Apple entering the streaming market it will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. The field is becoming very crowded and those that adopted to streaming to reduce expenses will now face some very tough decisions.

I don't see movies in real danger from streaming services, but TV networks should be very afraid of the future.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I don't see movies in real danger from streaming services, but TV networks should be very afraid of the future.
I do agree with you unless you can't receive high speed internet or your budget doesn't allow paying for streaming, cable or satellite over-the-air programming is in real danger.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If movie studios cared about the health of the movie theatre experience then they wouldn't have adopted a revenue splitting model that requires movie theatres to charge eleven dollars for a soda and a bag of stale popcorn in order to make money.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
If movie studios cared about the health of the movie theatre experience then they wouldn't have adopted a revenue splitting model that requires movie theatres to charge eleven dollars for a soda and a bag of stale popcorn in order to make money.
Very good point those of us that visit the theater without buying food items, like myself, are unaware of the extremely high prices charged for those items.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I try to avoid buying theatre food myself; however, once in a while a person just has a hankering for a soda and popcorn. Considering the price being charged it blows me away how many people feed the floor with it. The popcorn would have to be beyond stale for me to waste it by feeding the floor. If it is terrible then I'm going back to the concession and get my money back, not leave it for a theatre worker to have sweep up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks