Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Title: Gemini Man

Genre: Action, Drama, Science Fiction

Director: Ang Lee

Cast: Will Smith, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, Benedict Wong, Linda Emond, Theodora Miranne, Justin James Boykin, Alexandra Szucs

Release: 2019-10-09

Plot: Henry Brogen, an aging assassin tries to get out of the business but finds himself in the ultimate battle: fighting his own clone who is 25 years younger than him and at the peak of his abilities.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Im a bit biased towards this film because my good friend wrote the script more than 20 years ago and it has taken this long for the technology to catch up to his imagination.

At various points Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford and others were supposed to play the lead.

Looks terrific.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I read the script in ‘97. Unfortunately with a long gestation period, sometimes great ideas are lifted.

And I liked Looper.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Ang Lee really must have some huge passion project to slum for if he elected to make a Bruckheimer movie.

Either that or Billy Lynn REALLY trashed his reputation.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ang Lee really must have some huge passion project to slum for if he elected to make a Bruckheimer movie.

Either that or Billy Lynn REALLY trashed his reputation.

He has made worse than "Billy Lynn". I thought that movie wasn't nearly as bad as people were making it out to be.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Also, not that I hated LOOPER. It actually wasn't bad. The concept is interesting so there is certainly room for more than one film to explore it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Uhhh...wasn't this called LOOPER?

For once, we agree. I came in here to say exactly the same thing.

Even though this script existed first, it doesn't look like it's doing very much to differentiate itself from Looper, so far. We'll see. I usually like Ang Lee, so I'm not opposed to seeing it, but I'm also not completely sold yet.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Similar in concept but much different in tone, content and characters.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
'Gemini Man' Trailer: How Ang Lee Is Crafting a CG Will Smith and Immersive Feel

Peter Jackson's Weta Digital used its latest performance-capture techniques to create a young Smith.

Gemini Man is also being made incorporating a cutting-edge high frame rate of 120fps (frames per second), with 4K, 3D, high dynamic range (HDR) and immersive sound.

The director of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragonand Life of Pi made Gemini Man using what he learned from his 2016 experimental film Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. The movie's Oscar-winning cinematographer, Dion Beebe (Memoirs of a Geisha), shot the movie using new models of the lightweight ARRI Alexa M camera, modified by ARRI to capture 120fps at 3.2K resolution, on a 3D rig.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...l-smith-ang-lees-ambitious-filmmaking-1204057

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The big question is, will it actually screen that way?

Ang Lee shot his last film at 120fps in 3D. Only two theaters in the country showed it in that format. A handful of others showed it at 120fps in 2D, and another handful showed it at 60fps in 3D. But the overwhelming majority of showtimes and theaters were 2D only at the standard 24fps. Sony lost confidence in that film before its release date and majorly scaled back on their original release plans.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I think I'll just go with what the trailer was telling me. You can believe what you want.
It isn't a matter of people believing what they want. Josh is 100% correct. In Looper they were exactly the same person with the same experiences (up to a divergent point). In this film it is clear that the younger clone has abilities, but none of the experiences that made the Will Smith character who he was because they never share a common timeline - they exist in the same time, but never followed the same experiences. Sorta like Picard and Shinzon in Star Trek: Nemesis - Picard isn't battling himself, he is battling a different version of himself, a clone, who shares DNA but they are very different people.

Be disinterested in Gemini Man and dismiss it if you want, but that doesn't change what the film is actually about (which the trailer quite clearly indicates).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Neil. I shouldn’t have taken the bait in the first place, but I appreciate your eternal patience in drafting the response that I knew i was lacking the patience to do properly. :)

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks