What's new

A SNEAK PEEK AT MELVIN AND HOWARD, STAGECOACH, etc. (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Haven’t done one of these since March, so I’ll keep it brief – I’m finally catching up on Twilght Time stuff since Nick’s passing.
THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN
Early Cinemascope (or Cinnamonscope as my daughter used to call it), corny soap opera, but very appealing performances, a great title song, and it all moves along quite well, not to mention some gorgeous scenery. I’m actually not going to say anything about the transfer’s color – I’m going to wait until others chime in before having that fun. I will say it’s reasonably sharp for early scope and it’s blemish-free. 
clear.png

STAGECOACH
I always want to like this more than I do. I was disappointed in it when it came out and I haven’t really changed my opinion watching it again. You can’t beat John Ford is the simple answer. The best of the film is Van Heflin, who, in my book, is always superb. Slim Pickens is always fun, Ann-Margret looks stunning and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The Snake Pit leans teal. It has always leaned that way, even when I saw a 35mm print. Teal, all the way. Which means, of course, that the transfer is correct. Leo Tover knew what he was doing with his lights and filters. Teal.

It's not April Fool's, but I'll bet you got a few people with this post.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
The Snake Pit leans teal. It has always leaned that way, even when I saw a 35mm print. Teal, all the way. Which means, of course, that the transfer is correct. Leo Tover knew what he was doing with his lights and filters. Teal.
Gee, I don't know about that teal push, for the last time I saw THE SNAKE PIT, the skin tones were pink!

Yep, that Leo Tover was certainly ahead of his time, able to simulate late 50's Eastmancolor fade on a black and white film.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

I stand to be corrected but I believe that Twilight Time is so sick of all the teal/blue complainers that out of pure spite they are only releasing the B&W version which was shot simultaneously.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I stand to be corrected but I believe that Twilight Time is so sick of all the teal/blue complainers that out of pure spite they are only releasing the B&W version which was shot simultaneously.

I have never seen any indication that TSP was filmed in color. I've always only seen it in B&W, and IMDB (while not always reliable) indicated B&W, as do all video guides. I'm scratching my head here. I thought the teal thing brought up in post #2 was a joke, but as posts mount here, I begin to think a few people are very serious about this. Any links to sources? Might you be referring to a colorized version?

Pictureman

Agent
Real Name
Frank
The reason colored filters were used was because almost all of Olivia de Havilland's clothes were black and white. The most recent colored dresses she had were from "Gone With the Wind" and they were thought too old-fashioned. Fox developed their famous blue look to overcome the resulting pink faces. Not many people know that!

Pictureman

Agent
Real Name
Frank
I know he was talking about a different picture, but hainshisway did say he was waiting for some fun...

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I was very disappointed with the color palette of THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN....very muted. My iTunes HD copy of this has more color.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I was very disappointed with the color palette of THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN....very muted. My iTunes HD copy of this has more color.

Can you be clearer in what you're saying? I said nothing about this because I want others to chime in first. So, please explain what exactly you mean and what colors are involved. I can't find my DVD, but I'm sure this new Blu is better than THAT. Don't know what their showing on iTunes.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The colors do not seem as vibrant as I had hoped and at times....the Cinemascope "mumps" seemed more pronounced and some blurriness occurred.. ( to be more precise , looking the same as iTunes, Vudu and Amazon)
At one point it had been indicated it was a new 4K restoration, I believe the transfer is not new.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I once worked at a mental health center where an employee picked out THE SNAKE PIT as the movie for the day program clients to watch one day. The employee didn’t know how traumatic it would end up being for the clients to watch. Whoops!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The colors do not seem as vibrant as I had hoped and at times....the Cinemascope "mumps" seemed more pronounced and some blurriness occurred.. ( to be more precise , looking the same as iTunes, Vudu and Amazon)
At one point it had been indicated it was a new 4K restoration, I believe the transfer is not new.

But I do think it's a new transfer.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I should have my DVD. I don't have the TT disc. Sorry, I always wait for a sale.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Ken, would you say the Tender is the Night transfer is on a par with past Fox transfers, you know, the ones that are always too blue - excluding The King and I, just for the sake of not having that one muddy the waters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks