What's new

Oscar Rules Updates - Netflix Wins - Changes to Oscar Categories (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
https://deadline.com/2019/04/oscar-eligibility-vote-ampas-netflix-board-of-governors-1202600968/

The Academy decided not to change it's eligibility requirements to make it harder for Netflix films to be nominated.

Other changes include changing the name of "Best Foreign Language Film" to "International Feature Film". I've heard other places that they are also increasing the number of nominees to up to 10 like it is for Best Picture but I don't see that in this article. They also eliminated the rule requiring 8 animated feature films to be release in a year in order for the award for Best Animated Feature to be awarded.

Other changes that I heard of elsewhere include increasing the number of nominees for Best Hair and Makeup to 5 from the previous 3, and that Live action and documentary shorts can now become eligible by screening in NY instead of LA.

More details at:
https://www.screendaily.com/news/ac...-of-foreign-language-category/5138723.article

"
“We have noted that the reference to ‘Foreign’ is outdated within the global filmmaking community,” said international feature film committee co-chairs Larry Karaszewski and Diane Weyermann. “We believe that International Feature Film better represents this category, and promotes a positive and inclusive view of filmmaking, and the art of film as a universal experience.”

The shortlist is expanding to ten films, comprising seven selected by the Phase I International Feature Film Committee, and three more to be voted on by the international feature film award executive committee.

In other rules changes, the release of eight animated features in a calendar year is no longer required to activate the category. Furthermore, going forward nominations voting will be automatically open to all active members of the short films and feature animation branch. Other active voting members of the Academy must opt-in to participate in the nominations round.

The number of nominees for makeup and hairstyling will increase from three to five, and the shortlist is increasing from seven to ten. So-called “bake-off” reels for contenders will not exceed seven minutes in total running time.

In the short film categories, animated and live action short films now have the option to qualify theatrically in either the city of New York or Los Angeles County in order to be eligible for submission.
"

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Academy is deeming films released on streaming during the pandemic to be eligible for the Oscars.
Seems to be the logical decision- nobody knows when films will be playing in theaters (I think theaters opening will be one of the last restrictions that will be lifted).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In order to be eligible, something needs to have been previously scheduled for a theatrical release. So Netflix won't be able to get any Oscars for the To All the Boys I've Loved Before sequel, for example, because that was always a direct-to-streaming release. Also, when theaters are allowed to reopen the standard rules will apply again. So while this makes sense to do right now in these bizarre circumstances, it is not a permanent policy change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks