What's new

Star Trek : Two new Animated Series announced (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, looks like two new Star Trek Animated Series are on the way.

Star Trek, Lower Decks is coming to CBS All Access And is aimed at adult audiences. More info later.

Star Trek _______(as yet unnamed)_ : is being released by Nickelodeon and will be marketed to the younger audiences.

Excerpt from startrek.com:
=========================
A new, original CG-animated Star Trek series that follows a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation is in the works from Nickelodeon and CBS Television Studios. The show, to be developed by Emmy Award winners Kevin and Dan Hageman (Trollhunters, The LEGO Movie), and overseen by Ramsey Naito, EVP, Animation Production and Development, Nickelodeon, will debut exclusively on Nickelodeon. The show will be the second upcoming animated Star Trek series, joining Star Trek: Lower Decks, which will stream on CBS All Access.

‘Star Trek,’ Nickelodeon, and the state of animation are doing incredibly ambitious things as of late. We couldn’t be more excited to jump aboard," said Dan and Kevin Hageman.
=============================

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
"A new, original CG-animated Star Trek series that follows a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation" sounds absolutely stupid for s Star Trek show. The idea in itself is not bad, just not Star Trek.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
"A new, original CG-animated Star Trek series that follows a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation" sounds absolutely stupid for s Star Trek show. The idea in itself is not bad, just not Star Trek.
It could be Star Trek if their self-revelations have to do with ultimately finding strength through exploration and diversity.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
"A new, original CG-animated Star Trek series that follows a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation"

"Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Darwin Awards …"

"Hey, why don't we put on these red shirts over here, and go beam down to that unexplored planet? It'll be a blast! Best of all, although the sensors say there are a bunch of natives and projectile-firing plants, nothing could possibly go wrong!"

"I just called up the commander of the closest Klingon starbase and called him a coward, within hearing of his subordinates. He won't be bothering us again."

"What a great prank it was to beam Tribbles all over Agricultrius 4, one of the chief food supply planets in this solar system. Err, why are a bunch of warships suddenly heading for us?"

"Let's go visit the Kzinti homeworld and pet the cats. After that, I'm sure that they'll be happy to have us for dinner."

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Way_to_Eden_(episode)[/QUOTE]

I would have to expend effort to think of a stupider concept for ST.

Come to think of it, I believe that there was one ST:TOS episode where space hippies took over the Enterprise.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Way_to_Eden_(episode)

Along those lines of stupidity, they expanded the concept into a feature length movie (Star Trek V, The Final Frontier (1989))

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
So here's the thing. I understand what they're doing. Star Wars is doing and has done the same thing. This current Trek regime is going to make product for all age groups in an attempt to "create" new fans and viewers from the earliest ages. Does that mean THIS show in particular is for adults? No. Will I give it a try? Absolutely.

As the Nickelodeon kids "graduate" from this show to, I don't know, "classic" Trek to Discovery and the movies and the Kelvin universe and Lower Decks, you have a brand new generation of fans. That is what the franchise is missing and hasn't been able to do to save its collective life. It's been living off of an increasingly more fractured and, frankly, older fan base for years. Young blood is needed.

And the premise? I won't judge the show until I see a final product. Saying the entire show is stupid off of a log line IS stupid.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I think I have a great idea for a episode where the teens meets the Borg and we can call the episode Beach Blanket Borg. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As the Nickelodeon kids "graduate" from this show to, I don't know, "classic" Trek to Discovery and the movies and the Kelvin universe and Lower Decks, you have a brand new generation of fans. That is what the franchise is missing and hasn't been able to do to save its collective life. It's been living off of an increasingly more fractured and, frankly, older fan base for years. Young blood is needed.

This!

I cried twice when Star Trek ‘09 came out. The first time was when I saw the film in theaters for the first time and felt an energy in the air that I hadn’t felt around Trek in ages. And then I saw that rather than cheaping out, Paramount spent $200 million or so on it. They actually seemed to care. It was a great movie.

And then I cried again when I saw the venom that was being directed at the film and those who liked it by certain segments of the so-called fan base. Those people couldn’t just be content to say, “It wasn’t for me,” and leave it at that. No, they had to be hostile towards new fans and tell them that what they just saw wasn’t “real Trek,” whatever that means.

That segment of the base has only gotten louder over the past ten years. And I’ve just had enough of it.

To be clear I’m not talking specifically about anyone at HTF but speaking much more broadly. It was personally embarrassing to be at a convention in 2013 where people around me voted “Star Trek Into Darkness” as the worst Star Trek anything in the history of Star Trek. I’m not saying that movie is perfect, but it’s a far cry from being the worst thing to ever carry the Star Trek brand. But nope, you had to tow the line and say it was terrible or you weren’t a “real fan.”

That kind of nonsense needs to stop.

I look forward to all these new shows with anticipation. Maybe I’ll love them all, maybe I won’t. I’ll watch what I like and try not to get hung up on the rest. For the first time in ages, the powers that be are making an effort. I can’t see that as anything other than a positive.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So here's the thing. I understand what they're doing. Star Wars is doing and has done the same thing. This current Trek regime is going to make product for all age groups in an attempt to "create" new fans and viewers from the earliest ages. Does that mean THIS show in particular is for adults? No. Will I give it a try? Absolutely.

As a Star Wars fan, I've seen young people whose first major exposure to Star Wars was The Clone Wars cartoon and as they got older, they moved on to the movies. For more than 20 years now, Star Wars has managed to have something that is the gateway to the rest of the saga for the kids of the day.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As a Star Wars fan, I've seen young people whose first major exposure to Star Wars was The Clone Wars cartoon and as they got older, they moved on to the movies. For more than 20 years now, Star Wars has managed to have something that is the gateway to the rest of the saga for the kids of the day.

Indeed. And Clone Wars isn't for me-I've tried-but that doesn't make it bad or wrong or terrible. It's simply not for me. Star Wars Resistance and Rebels both target younger audiences (IIRC) and that doesn't make them any less valid.

Whatever that gateway is going to be, I'll all for it. I was dumped into Star Wars via the OT when I was 2 or 3 years old (likely younger than I should have seen it). That was my gateway. Same for Trek...I started with either The Motion Picture on ABC-by myself-or The Voyage Home in the theater. I was between 4 and 6 years old at the time.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Indeed. And Clone Wars isn't for me-I've tried-but that doesn't make it bad or wrong or terrible. It's simply not for me. Star Wars Resistance and Rebels both target younger audiences (IIRC) and that doesn't make them any less valid.

Whatever that gateway is going to be, I'll all for it. I was dumped into Star Wars via the OT when I was 2 or 3 years old (likely younger than I should have seen it). That was my gateway. Same for Trek...I started with either The Motion Picture on ABC-by myself-or The Voyage Home in the theater. I was between 4 and 6 years old at the time.

I can't believe Star Wars: Clone Wars doesn't resonate with you, @Jason_V - Because, in my mind, EVERYONE should love that series...
Leon.gif

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Hehe...I tried. I really did. I've seen the "movie" and all of Season 1. I just can't work up the enthusiasm to get into Season 2 and I really have no idea why. It should be in my wheelhouse; I'm just not there. But I think it's great it is so loved and admired as a series.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To me, it feels more like an old timey aerial than a kids cartoon, which is why I love it. I wasn’t blown away by the movie, which I thought was a bit too “kiddie” but I thought the first episode after that (with Yoda and the clone troopers) was fantastic and I’ve been hooked since.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
To me, it feels more like an old timey aerial than a kids cartoon, which is why I love it. I wasn’t blown away by the movie, which I thought was a bit too “kiddie” but I thought the first episode after that (with Yoda and the clone troopers) was fantastic and I’ve been hooked since.

Agreed. I need to find time to check out Clone Wars.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Clone Wars is my friends favorite animated series ever
I tried to get into the series on three different occasions. Afraid I was missing something with the great reviews, and word of mouth . I just cannot get into it. I can't even say why. The voice acting, art style, it is all just "meh" to me.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks