What's new

Anyone still have one of these old Mittsubshi RPTVs? (1 Viewer)

Dane_egghead

Auditioning
Real Name
Dane Degon
The Old Mitts WS-65819 from 2001, fully tuned from 2002. Still worked great! It had to go today, kind of sad actually.
The major downfall was that there were no HDMI inputs, those were on the 2003 model. This was only 1080i, but looked real nice.
Mitts.jpg
Just before demolition

Mitts2.jpg
The Mother board that I had to re-solder the convergence chips. The display turned to rainbows when someone walked into the room.

Mitts3.jpg

The CRTs that projected 11 Championships. 5 Patriots, 4 Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins.
And some of the leftover theatrical drapery to deaden any reflected light.

Mits4.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have a Toshiba RPTV in my guest bedroom, my first high definition set (I believe it has a 42" screen). Like your Mits, it was only 1080i with no HDMI connections, but I do occasionally turn this on and watch something just for fun on it. Still worked OK the last time I fired it up, but the sharpness of new sets leaves this old RPTV far in the dust.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I still have my Pioneer Elite Pro-96 -- 50in SD 4:3. Still looks great for playing LD though probably better if I wanted to open it and clean the dust and mirror again. Pretty minimal hours on it considering it's from 1994 or so. The Remote is a bit iffy these days. I'd certainly be willing to give it away for a pittance to someone that actually wanted it and would pick it up and carrying it away.

Heck the Black Piano Cabinet by itself would probably be fairly nice to make something out of even if you gutted the electronics.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s a real shame that Mitsubishi bowed out of the TV business. They made some stellar televisions. The 31” I got in 1996 was the best CRT TV I ever had.

I totally bypassed the rear-projection era because I felt their picture quality was vastly inferior to a first-class CRT. Curiously enough though, the only RPTV that made a serious impression on me was... a Mitsubishi. I never had the opportunity to see a Pioneer RPTV - I'm sure they were excellent, just like their plasmas.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Really cool seeing this, sorry to see that it is has to go. I remember my future father in law bought a Mitsubishi 65" Diamond edition right before the HDMI standard. It had "Firewire" I think, but it's been awhile and I don't remember the details. It looked really nice from a distance with a regular DVD. I remember watching some anamorphic DVD's and being blown away by how awesome it looked. Little did I know what was in store in a few years... :)

Users who are viewing this thread