What's new

Final 5.2.4 HT setup - Suggestions welcome! (1 Viewer)

Divyam

Grip
Real Name
Divyam
Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a 5.2.4 setup. My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft. I will use the room for movies, music and games (33% each)

Per my research, I have finalized the following:

1) Projector - JVC DLA-NX7 - $8000 approx

2) Screen - 4K 140" (approx) 16:9 Acoustically Transparent Fixed screen on the 15 ft wall (Elite Screens) - $2000 approx

3) Receiver - Marantz SR 7013 - $2100 approx

4) Subwoofers - SVS PB 2000 (2 subwoofers) - $1600 approx

5) Speakers L/C/R - Klipsch THX 8000 L

6) Speakers Surrounds (Two) - Klipsch KS-525-THX SURROUND SPEAKERS

7) Speakers Ceiling (for Atmos)(Four) - THX-5002-L IN-CEILING SPEAKER

Total Speaker cost for 9 speakers - $8000 approx

8) Cabling - Audioquest - $500 approx

I just wanted a sanity check to understand if all these parts work well together. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am open to other brands also, or any other setup style that would fit a 5.2.4 system.

My primary aim is to control cost, I don't have a budget as such but I really do not want to spend unnecessarily also.

I am happy to provide any further details if required. Thanks in advance!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, you asked. ;)

Not a fan of Klipsch, and really not a fan of in-wall speakers, unless your goal is to get a fraction of the quality and performance for double the price. There are too many better speaker brands to list, but Paradigm and ELAC come to mind in your price range. Klipsch speakers do have the benefit of being very efficient, so they don't need much power.

As far as subs, nobody ever seems to believe me on this, but a single $1,600 sub will blow away (2) $800 subs every time. A single sub can be (carefully) placed in most rooms for excellent sound distribution. Instead of two decent PB 2000s you could get a single 4000, or maybe a PowerSound S3010, either of which will go lower, louder and cleaner than a PB 2000 ever could.

SR7013... excellent choice.

I don't know projectors, so others can help with that, but that seems awfully expensive.

Cables, forget Audioquest and go Monoprice all the way.

Divyam

Grip
Real Name
Divyam
Well, you asked. ;)

Not a fan of Klipsch, and really not a fan of in-wall speakers, unless your goal is to get a fraction of the quality and performance for double the price. There are too many better speaker brands to list, but Paradigm and ELAC come to mind in your price range. Klipsch speakers do have the benefit of being very efficient, so they don't need much power.

As far as subs, nobody ever seems to believe me on this, but a single $1,600 sub will blow away (2) $800 subs every time. A single sub can be (carefully) placed in most rooms for excellent sound distribution. Instead of two decent PB 2000s you could get a single 4000, or maybe a PowerSound S3010, either of which will go lower, louder and cleaner than a PB 2000 ever could.

SR7013... excellent choice.

I don't know projectors, so others can help with that, but that seems awfully expensive.

Cables, forget Audioquest and go Monoprice all the way.

Thank you! I have to take inwalls because of the room layout, so I have no choice there.
Let me check out Paradigm and ELAC also. And also look at getting a better sub.
Yes Audioquest seems overpriced. I will go with Monoprice.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
You said your primary aim is to control costs. By that, I assume you don't want to spend more for something that's not an improvement. I'd like to make a couple suggestions.

Have you thought about making your own screen? You're planning on spending $2000 for a fixed screen. That's 2 grand for a frame with material stretched over it, that's hung on a wall. I've got a fixed screen that's 155" with a 2.4:1 ratio, framed on black molding, with controlled lighting around the periphery. Not counting the Lutron unit I put in the room for remote controlled lighting, the screen material, frame it's stretched on, the molding, black paint and mounting hooks for the rope light came to about $120. My stapler bit the dust during construction, bit it was also about 25 years old, and I didn't include that in the cost. I also had a mitre box and framing clamps to start with, but those are still pretty cheap to purchase. Building a frame, stretching the fabric and hanging the screen can be done with relatively modest woodworking skills. I might also mention that if you go this route, make sure you can get the assembled screen into you theater room from where ever it's built.

You mentioned what the room will be used for, but you might want to consider your situation and how it will effect the rest of the household. If there are other people to consider, sound control might be a consideration. That can also have an effect on acoustics in the room. The room has fairly good dimensions to minimize harmonics, but some attention to preventing sound coming in could help, and deadening opposite walls along with some sound diffusion, at a minimum, may improve the sound quality in the room. Are there windows? Light control while using a projector can be helpful.

One other consideration before finalizing plans. Throw in something to sit on, and try different layouts. What I started out thinking and what I ended up with changed after trying the projector on the wall and watching portions of a few movies from lawn chairs with one of my cats. I discussed several options with her in the middle of the night. She didn't have much to say, bu the process improved the final result.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Divyam

Grip
Real Name
Divyam
Thank you for all the inputs. I was thinking of finalizing the products as below for a 7.2.4 setup:

I just wanted to do a sanity check before placing the order. Do let me know if all the components are good.

1) Projector - JVC DLA-NX7

2) Screen - Elite 4K Perforated Screen - SE150WH11-A4k fixed frame 150inch diagonal 16:9

3) Receiver - Anthem MRX 1120

4) Subwoofers - SVS PB 3000 (2 subwoofers)

5) Speakers L/C/R - Procella P6

6) Speakers Surrounds (Four) - Procella P5

7) Speakers Ceiling (for Atmos)(Four) - Paradigm CI HOME H65A Angled In Ceiling Height Speakers

I have the following doubts:

1) The dealer is recommending a Sim2 Domino 4 projector, which he is ready to give for the same price as the JVC. Is that a good option? I have never heard of this brand.

2) For the receiver, if I go for a Marantz 7013 and an Emotiva 2 channel power amp combo, instead of the MRX 1120, I can save around $1,000. But the MRX has Anthem Room Correction which is way better than the Auddessy? Is it worth it?

3) Other option is go for NAD T 777 v3 + 4 channel power amp which will cost me a bit more than the MRX 1120. Now the NAD has Dirac Live which is even better than Anthem Room Correction, I have heard. Is it worth it?

4) For Woofers, will a comparable XTZ be better than the SVS?

5) For speakers LCR, one option is the Klipsch 8000L THX series. I demoed them and found them to be a bit harsher than the Procella's. Should I reconsider or go for the Procella's, since it is also not a very well known brand to me.

6) Finally for the screen, the dealer is recommending Screen Research 149" Diagonal 16:9 Format Screen (ClearPix 4K AT Fabric) (10mm Bezel),but it is at a whopping cost of $4,000! Is that worth it?

Thank you everyone for the help!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The dealer is recommending a Sim2 Domino 4 projector, which he is ready to give for the same price as the JVC. Is that a good option? I have never heard of this brand.

I don’t know that brand either, which makes me a bit wary.

If you’re trying to control costs, I think you can get something that’s 90-99% as good as that JVC for a fraction of the price. If budget is a primary consideration, you can get something for a lot less that will in all likelihood be just as satisfying to you. I personally would not recommend an $8000 projector to anyone who has told me that their primary aim is to control costs. What kind of content do you usually watch? Are you watching primarily HD or 4K/UHD material? How do you usually watch? Disc, streaming, cable?

I think in general $4000 is a huge amount of money to spend for a fixed screen and there are tons of better values for getting a screen. That’s probably one of your installer’s biggest profit margin items. You can buy special paint, sand your wall, paint it, and install some masking and curtains yourself for a couple hundred bucks or less. You can also buy screen fabric inexpensively, buy some wood from the hardware store, and make a fixed frame yourself - again, in the hundred or two hundred dollar range. You could even buy a good quality premade screen for far less. Again, if your primary aim is to control costs, this was a ludicrous suggestion on behalf of your installer.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You won't want my feedback.

I don't know much about projectors and screens, but even with that, I'm in complete agreement with Josh about those costs. Common sense tells me that's completely unreasonable.

Speakers and how to power them is my area, and I just don't understand alloting that much of a budget to a HT and insisting on hamstringing the audio. (Pardon my vent mode...) There are ways around in-wall or on-wall speakers, especially with front projection, using an audibly transparent screen with a space behind it and some small shelves for the surrounds. After hundreds of questions about speakers, I get the impression there is only one speaker manufacturer on earth. Klipsch. I don't understand that either.

But... there it is... again.

As far as the receiver, I read up on the Anthem and checked into the two speaker lines you are considering. Unlike Klipsch free-standing models (which are highly efficient), the in-wall ones are average efficiency. Virtually identical to the Procellas. I'd never heard of those, but that's not big deal, since there are an absurd number of speaker manufacturers. There are probably hundreds I've never heard of. I'm highly skeptical that any receiver can sufficiently power a 7.x.4 system alone, so of the choices you gave, I'd personally go with the SR7013 and an Emotiva A-5175, which is a five channel amp, not a two, to drive the front three channels and front surrounds. I'm guessing the two channel model you are talking about is the A-300. I don't recommend driving the L/R with an external amp and the center with the receiver. You want that front soundstage as integrated as possible. Emotiva does make 3 channel amps, but they are much more powerful and expensive than the A-5175.

However, it you decide on the Klipsch speakers, I'd probably go with the Anthem receiver, because the harshness you noticed from them will probably be improved with the Anthem's gentler sound.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I definitely wouldn't go with the projector that nobody here have ever heard of.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
$8000 is absurd to spend on a projector on a budget conscious project. I think your guy may have suggested the JVC because it’s a known, reliable but expensive performer, and then offered to sell you something no-name at a much higher profit to himself after finding out that you were willing to spend that much, by suggesting he was cutting you a deal.

$4000 is ludicrous to spend on a screen if you’re trying to be budget conscious.

The cost of those two items as you were quoted, $12,000, is more than my entire setup, and that’s not even a complete system for you. There’s nothing wrong with spending top dollar if that’s what you want to do. But I’m telling you, you could get an Epson 5050 projector or something similar that would give you 95% of what that JVC would, and it would be under $3000. Is an extra 5-10% improvement in picture quality, at best, under ideal viewing circumstances with the small handful of content that’s been mastered to support that full capability of the more expensive machine, worth tripling your costs? For some people the answer is yes. But when I hear “budget” that’s not the mindset I think of.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From what Josh said, it sounds like you could knock $8K off your projector/screen cost and maintain about 95% of the result. If you put that productively into audio... holy smokes... what a difference that would make.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ll be curious to see what kind of content/sources he intends to watch - depending on his usage, it may be worth scaling up or scaling down on the projector budget.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The Epson 6050 is a sure bet. Try looking at Da-lite screens. Definitive Technology puts out some damn good speakers, all 11 with a $200-$300 amp. Earthquake makes a great sub. Denon puts out excellent AVRs. And $400-600 remote. My setup is below and I just love it and my HT is 12' x 17'.

Divyam

Grip
Real Name
Divyam
I don’t know that brand either, which makes me a bit wary.

If you’re trying to control costs, I think you can get something that’s 90-99% as good as that JVC for a fraction of the price. If budget is a primary consideration, you can get something for a lot less that will in all likelihood be just as satisfying to you. I personally would not recommend an $8000 projector to anyone who has told me that their primary aim is to control costs. What kind of content do you usually watch? Are you watching primarily HD or 4K/UHD material? How do you usually watch? Disc, streaming, cable?

I think in general $4000 is a huge amount of money to spend for a fixed screen and there are tons of better values for getting a screen. That’s probably one of your installer’s biggest profit margin items. You can buy special paint, sand your wall, paint it, and install some masking and curtains yourself for a couple hundred bucks or less. You can also buy screen fabric inexpensively, buy some wood from the hardware store, and make a fixed frame yourself - again, in the hundred or two hundred dollar range. You could even buy a good quality premade screen for far less. Again, if your primary aim is to control costs, this was a ludicrous suggestion on behalf of your installer.

Thank you! Its hard for me to share prices since I am based out of India, the rates here nowhere compare to US rates.
The projector, JVC NX7, feels like a good 4K option for me, I am getting a good competitive price, and I wanted a Native 4K projector. I watch some 4K material, I have Netflix 4K, TataSky 4K and a lot of 4K discs.
Could you suggest some projector options and I can check them out.

For the screen, I am really confused. Prices are varying wildly, and I would prefer a ready made option instead of a DIY. Could you please suggest a 150 inch 4K AT Fixed screen that pairs well with the NX7? It would be of great help!

Divyam

Grip
Real Name
Divyam
You won't want my feedback.

I don't know much about projectors and screens, but even with that, I'm in complete agreement with Josh about those costs. Common sense tells me that's completely unreasonable.

Speakers and how to power them is my area, and I just don't understand alloting that much of a budget to a HT and insisting on hamstringing the audio. (Pardon my vent mode...) There are ways around in-wall or on-wall speakers, especially with front projection, using an audibly transparent screen with a space behind it and some small shelves for the surrounds. After hundreds of questions about speakers, I get the impression there is only one speaker manufacturer on earth. Klipsch. I don't understand that either.

But... there it is... again.

As far as the receiver, I read up on the Anthem and checked into the two speaker lines you are considering. Unlike Klipsch free-standing models (which are highly efficient), the in-wall ones are average efficiency. Virtually identical to the Procellas. I'd never heard of those, but that's not big deal, since there are an absurd number of speaker manufacturers. There are probably hundreds I've never heard of. I'm highly skeptical that any receiver can sufficiently power a 7.x.4 system alone, so of the choices you gave, I'd personally go with the SR7013 and an Emotiva A-5175, which is a five channel amp, not a two, to drive the front three channels and front surrounds. I'm guessing the two channel model you are talking about is the A-300. I don't recommend driving the L/R with an external amp and the center with the receiver. You want that front soundstage as integrated as possible. Emotiva does make 3 channel amps, but they are much more powerful and expensive than the A-5175.

However, it you decide on the Klipsch speakers, I'd probably go with the Anthem receiver, because the harshness you noticed from them will probably be improved with the Anthem's gentler sound.

Thanks! Its alright, let me see if I can clarify.

The NX7 is a bit expensive, but I have heard that when it comes to Native 4k, true blacks, HDR10 processing, etc, either go JVC or Sony.

Screen I will look into, see if the extra cost is justified.

I wanted to have free standing speakers also, but the room layout is such that I am unable to move the screen ahead without blocking the entrance - I have attached a rough layout.

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-14 at 2.34.58 PM.jpeg

As far as speakers go, I am leaning a bit towards the Procellas, I liked the warm sound. And its a good brand, pretty famous in Europe. https://celluloidjunkie.com/wire/pr...-in-new-cedia-headquarters-reference-theater/

For amps, I am thinking of finalizing the SR 7013 + a 3ch Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 for LCR's. Or one option is to go for a full blown 11ch like the SR 8013 or the MRX 1120. Prices will differ and I will put the cost savings into the subs, if any. I feel that you don't consider Dirac, ARC or Audessey as a factor.

Divyam

Grip
Real Name
Divyam
$8000 is absurd to spend on a projector on a budget conscious project. I think your guy may have suggested the JVC because it’s a known, reliable but expensive performer, and then offered to sell you something no-name at a much higher profit to himself after finding out that you were willing to spend that much, by suggesting he was cutting you a deal.

$4000 is ludicrous to spend on a screen if you’re trying to be budget conscious.

The cost of those two items as you were quoted, $12,000, is more than my entire setup, and that’s not even a complete system for you. There’s nothing wrong with spending top dollar if that’s what you want to do. But I’m telling you, you could get an Epson 5050 projector or something similar that would give you 95% of what that JVC would, and it would be under $3000. Is an extra 5-10% improvement in picture quality, at best, under ideal viewing circumstances with the small handful of content that’s been mastered to support that full capability of the more expensive machine, worth tripling your costs? For some people the answer is yes. But when I hear “budget” that’s not the mindset I think of.

Thanks. The Epson isn't Native 4K if I am right. I am looking for a Native 4K projector with HDR processing. The NX7 seems to be good. Would the JVC be only a 5-10% improvement over the Epson? I really find that hard to believe.

Divyam

Grip
Real Name
Divyam
I’ll be curious to see what kind of content/sources he intends to watch - depending on his usage, it may be worth scaling up or scaling down on the projector budget.

Content would include Netflix 4K, TataSky 4K, Blu Ray movies, etc. Hence I wanted Native 4K.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For amps, I am thinking of finalizing the SR 7013 + a 3ch Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 for LCR's. Or one option is to go for a full blown 11ch like the SR 8013 or the MRX 1120. Prices will differ and I will put the cost savings into the subs, if any. I feel that you don't consider Dirac, ARC or Audessey as a factor.
The XPA-3 would be a good choice with the SR7013. BTW, I have a lot of Emotiva equipment, and their amps have always been excellent performers. FWIW, I use an XPA-2 for the L/R and an XPA-5 for the center and surrounds. Mine are Gen 1. In particular, the XPA-3 would be good for music, since it'll give the L/R nice headroom for 2.0 or 2.1 playback. In fact, even if you went with the SR8013 (is that available yet?) I'd still at least keep the door open for the XPA-3, since expecting any receiver to truly power 11 channels is probably asking too much. No receiver will ever have enough power supply to do that. Not in my book, anyway.

As far as the Anthem receiver, I know people who have Anthem receivers, love them. I don't doubt there's a difference. That's a tough decision. You're sacrificing power with the Anthem and power is extremely important with HT. It's a decision you have to make.

Regarding Dirac, ARC and Audyssey, I much prefer getting the best sounding equipment and using those features to just do some fine tuning, rather than relying on it to fix things that are wrong or of low quality. So, they're not a major priority for me. Maybe I'm missing out on something. I just see a lot of people who disregard so many important factors in their setup, believing "XYZ processing will fix everything." Don't forget, the Marantz units also have Auro 3D, which people seem to really like. However, keep in mind that it appears some of those post-processing codecs might be unavailable with some soundtracks. It's an evolving thing that people are upset about. I haven't researched it.

funbeasts

Auditioning
Real Name
Fun Beasts
Woww It's awesome setup bro,
Really impressive, this information is really valuable for us.
Thanks for this amazing knowledge...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks