What's new

Is it just me or are there not any new THX certified receivers? (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Just an observation. I've been browsing new receivers just to see what's available and I'm noticing that the high end models don't seem to be THX certified. I'm not really in the market right now but it appears that becoming THX certified is less important to the manufacturers as it used to be when many receivers were advertised as THX certified. Prices seem more reasonable than they used to be for higher end models so maybe the manufacturers are passing the savings on to we the consumer?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I expect it’s because Atmos has required so many additional amplifier channels that it’s now impossible to meet THX’s stringent amplifier requirements.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

YANG

Screenwriter
what i had seen so far,whatever bears the LOGO of THX Select or Ultra,means extra $$$ for the loyalty.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Good observation. Makes sense that Dolby Atmos could be the reason. THX certification was a good way of knowing that an amp or receiver was good enough to comply with the strict testing parameters.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Unpopular opinion: THX certification for home gear was never more than a scam.
Sam is absolutely correct.
Having THX certified equipment is one thing. People seem to forget the "room" must also be constructed to meet THX requirements. For a small home theatre it's a waste of time and MONEY!!! To drive the speakers at normal THX levels most folks couldn't stay in the room.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Unpopular opinion: THX certification for home gear was never more than a scam.
Well. That might be a bit harsh, but not exactly untrue. Plus, it's Sam. :D

A whole lot of people had THX stuff, but put no thought or effort into how they put it together or used it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Also, THX is no longer a thing people care about. Twenty or thirty years ago, the best theater experience began with the THX deep note. So of course you want to buy a receiver with the THX logo on it. But in 2019...when was the last time anyone saw THX stinger at the theater? Back in 1999 when Star Wars SE came out? The sign of a good theater now is an Atmos trailer or maybe the Sony Digital 4K intro. So now you want to see Atmos and 4K logos on your home theater.

And that’s not even getting into what Sam said (I’ve also long share that view) or the fact that Apple gear doesn’t have a THX logo and the kids-these-days (and many of us adults) are watching movies on 5” and 10” screens with white EarPods.

So...THX...if you’re wondering where it’s gone to, you’re a nostalgic middle-aged (or older) person :)

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I always considered THX to mean guaranteed not to suck. The equipment is good but you can get non certified equipment that is just as good for less.
I owned a couple of Pioneer Elite THX-certified receivers (47TX and 94TXH), and they were good performing units that produced a pleasing sound (at least, to me they did). Both were an improvement over the previous Sony ES avr I had. I didn't buy them because of the certification, though, but because I liked the sound when I auditioned them at the local dealer. I never used the THX processing modes on the units, though, as I thought the sound was a little too dull. My current receiver is a non-certified Denon (X3300W), and I think it sounds better than the two Elites I previously owned. Plus, the setup on the Denon is more user friendly and the room calibration software does a better job, IMO

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My "new" receiver is an Onkyo (ca 2018) Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 (I bought for Under $300) that has THX certification ... it was not the reason I bought it ... That was 7 HDMI Inputs and Dolby Atmos (and the price to be sure)
onkyo-tx-nr686-7-2-channel-network-a-2fv-receiver-thx-500x500.jpg

I have no qualms about being a bottom feeder and taking the crumbs the bleeding edge people leave behind ...

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It is to fair to point out that Monoprice recently released THX Ultra and Select speakers for very reasonable prices. I might consider them for my next speaker upgrade.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It is to fair to point out that Monoprice recently released THX Ultra and Select speakers for very reasonable prices. I might consider them for my next speaker upgrade.
I think that reinforces the view the Sam put out: THX sold its soul years ago and now shows up on any random budget product. “THX” no longer has any cachet or value.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As long as the speaker hits the performance requirements they are fine. Just not ridiculously overpriced like most other THX speakers are.

Select bookshelf speakers $350 each. Ultra central channel speaker $400. Ultra mini towers $500 each. 12 inch Ultra sub $800. 12 inch Select sub $500.

These aren't ultra bargain speakers but cheap enough to consider if you are looking for mid price speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks