Downton Abbey (2019)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: Downton Abbey

Genre: Drama

Director: Michael Engler

Cast: Hugh Bonneville, Maggie Smith, Michelle Dockery, Jim Carter, Laura Carmichael, Elizabeth McGovern, Phyllis Logan, Penelope Wilton, Brendan Coyle, Joanne Froggatt, Robert James-Collier, Lesley Nicol, Sophie McShera, Raquel Cassidy, Allen Leech, Imelda Staunton, Geraldine James, Simon Jones, David Haig, Tuppence Middleton, Kate Phillips, Stephen Campbell Moore, Kevin Doyle, Douglas Reith, Fifi Hart, James Cartwright, Alice McCarthy

Release: 2019-09-13

Plot: The continuing saga of the Crawley family and the servants who work for them in the English countryside in the early 20th century.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The trailer looks fun. How does this connect to the series? Do you need to have seen the series?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I saw this last night in a jam-packed theater. The bottom line is that if you're a big fan of the series, then you'll enjoy the movie. It's great seeing everyone on screen again after a few years. The film is probably on par with a longer version of one of the Christmas Specials. It's very good, but not necessarily any different than the series itself. I had a great time, but I'm not sure if I would recommend it to those who have never watched the series.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If you're curious, a good primer for those who have not watched the Downton Abbey series would probably be the film Gosford Park. It's written by the same person (Julian Fellowes) and treads some of the same ground with the whole "upstairs/downstairs" theme between the elite families and their servants. If you like Gosford, you'd probably like Downton.

Just note that aside from the writer and the presence of Maggie Smith, there's not really any connection between the two projects except for some of the overall themes.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
One of the best tv series my wife and I have ever seen. It’s tremendously entertaining. We saw the traveling exhibition show in NYC shortly after binging the show. It was amazing.

We’re seeing this next weekend.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I found it to be a delightful soap opera. Some of the characters were major pieces of work, but it always gave me a pleasant feeling when watching it. My wife and I are definitely seeing the movie. Will be nice to see a PG movie that just gives you a nice warm feeling.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
There was a sneak peek showing at 'The LOT' theaters here in San Diego this past Thursday night. We were very tempted to go, but other priorities got in the way. Hope to see it on Friday.

Mark

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
My wife and I saw this today. Neither of us have ever watched the TV show, but were looking forward to it.

We both found it to be .... boring. Everything about it was flat. First, it looked more like a Netflix TV show than an actual movie film. Second, the story was trite, zero depth. Third, the situations were obvious, blatantly predictable. Fourth, about six threads were dangled and all were tidied up in the end.

There was nothing at stake in the movie, nothing emotionally moving or intellectually stimulating. On the positive side, the setting and the fixtures and the people were pretty to look at. For two hours.

C

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
My wife and I saw this today. Neither of us have ever watched the TV show, but were looking forward to it.

We both found it to be .... boring. Everything about it was flat. First, it looked more like a Netflix TV show than an actual movie film. Second, the story was trite, zero depth. Third, the situations were obvious, blatantly predictable. Fourth, about six threads were dangled and all were tidied up in the end.

There was nothing at stake in the movie, nothing emotionally moving or intellectually stimulating. On the positive side, the setting and the fixtures and the people were pretty to look at. For two hours.

C

It is a great pity that you have never seen the TV series.Truly one of the very best of the best TV series ever made .A masterpiece like no other. Go and watch the TV series and you will see why DOWNTON ABBEY was so highly acclaimed all around the world. Don't judge the disappointing movie as against the brilliant TV series. We can expect another movie if the current one is successful according to THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
We saw this last night; it was good. I watched the show with my wife when it was on. I liked the show, she LOVED the show. Our reactions to the movie were similar.

I equate it to seeing the Enterprise on the big screen for the first time in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. What a thrill that was, seeing it so clear and so big. I asked my wife if it was similarly exciting to see the Downton house on the big screen. She said yes. "Good," I said, "I hope they don't blow it up in the third movie."

#stilltraumatized

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
....I equate it to seeing the Enterprise on the big screen for the first time in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. What a thrill that was, seeing it so clear and so big. I asked my wife if it was similarly exciting to see the Downton house on the big screen. She said yes. "Good," I said, "I hope they don't blow it up in the third movie."

#stilltraumatized

lmao!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Neither of us have ever watched the TV show

Well there you go right there.

This film is for fans of the show primarily. Without having been invested in the characters previously, it’s hard to fathom many enjoying this film.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well there you go right there.

This film is for fans of the show primarily. Without having been invested in the characters previously, it’s hard to fathom many enjoying this film.
I agree. After all, we're talking about six entire seasons never viewed.
Hopefully, Mr. Jaros will one day give the series a spin;
but until then, I say, one should never go doubtin' on Downton.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I saw the film a week ago Thursday when Focus Features had an advance "fan night" screening a week in advance of the opening. I don't know if that was all across the U.S. or not, but it was in many theatres around Los Angeles.

All I would say is that if you liked the series, I don't know why you wouldn't like the movie. I enjoyed myself.

Before the film, but not part of it, the theatre I was in showed a ten minute recap of the series, which was narrated by two actors/characters from Downton Abbey. It wasn't necessary for those who've seen the series, but it was a nice bonus. I don't know if any or all theatres are showing it during the theatrical run or not, but Focus Features posted it on their youtube channel.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks