What's new

Miniseries possibilities for Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I was very fond of many of the great mini series that we used to be regularly offered.
Would love to see Chiefs and Son of the Morning Star becoming available.
My "bucket list" would see the recut Godfather series that was shown on TV and released on VHS becoming available (I know that Coppola has said this won't happen but you can live in hope)!!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
High possibilities:

Rich Man Poor Man
Roots
Centennial
The Thorn Birds
Salem's Lot
The Winds of War
V
IT

Not so high:
Anything Lonesome Dove that isn't the original
Amerika
War and Rememberance
North and South (mostly the later episodes)

Permanently SD:
Pretty much every 90s Miniseries

Last edited:

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
I was very fond of many of the great mini series that we used to be regularly offered.
Would love to see Chiefs and Son of the Morning Star becoming available.
My "bucket list" would see the recut Godfather series that was shown on TV and released on VHS becoming available (I know that Coppola has said this won't happen but you can live in hope)!!

Chiefs would be awesome. It was released on vhs but never to any other format. Same with Morning Star. Many others as well. I guess copyright issues?

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
High possibilities:

Rich Man Poor Man
Roots
Centennial
The Thorn Birds
Salem's Lot
Shogun
The Winds of War
V
IT

Not so high:
Anything Lonesome Dove that isn't the original
Amerika
War and Rememberance
North and South (mostly the later episodes)

Permanently SD:
Pretty much every 90s Miniseries
Shogun is on Blu-ray, I have it.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'm still waiting (probably in vain) for a release of Fresno, the 1986 mini starring Carol Burnett. It was an MTM production, so Shout Factory would likely be the only hope.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
How about...
The Godfather Saga (aka The Godfather: A Novel for Television, the TV edit of the first two Godfather films initially released theatrically in 1972 and '74 respectively; this edit was broadcast in 1977 on NBC and also contains previously unseen footage) - as a miniseries, it was broadcast over the course of four straight nights in November of 1977: part 1 lasted 3 hours, and the other three were all 2 hours. A further condensed version of this TV edit was released on VHS in 1981 as The Godfather 1901-1959: A Complete Epic.
Space (1985)
The Godfather Trilogy (aka The Godfather: 1901-1980; this 1992 edit for TV was similar to the 1977 Saga edit but also includes footage from 1990's The Godfather: Part III, which was not as successful as the first two films)

~Ben

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The problem with many early mini-series that I hadn't seen, but had a chance to watch some decades later, is that a whole lot of the first ones have really cheesy (cheap?) backlot production design. Not all, but quite a few, back when it was the thing to jump on the mini-series bandwagon. Even some I liked when I looked at them again, I winced at that.

There are some miniseries I'd still like to see released at all, much less Blu-Ray. Ones not mentioned yet are Captains and the Kings and The Last Convertible. These were based on popular 1970's novels. I only saw The Last Convertible on a b&w television! I also enjoy the rather melodramatic Pearl, which Warner had released on VHS & DVD. They edited it like a 4 1/2 hour movie. I have no idea how the original miniseries was aired.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I would like to see "An Inconvenient Woman" and "Bella Mafia" on dvd or blu. Neither one of them has even had a Region1 dvd release.

I would also like to see Stephen King's "Rose Red" and "The Stand" but I believe all of these were edited on videotape therefore problematic to remaster for blu.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this big budget 1988 miniseries filmed in Hong Kong: Noble House with Pierce Brosnan, Deborah Raffin, Ben Masters, John Rhys-Davis, Khigh Dhiegh, Julia Nicksen and, in small roles, Denholm Elliott and John Houseman. Ran on NBC, which I guess makes it Universal.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I would like them to revisit both "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" someday. Both deserve better than they got on dvd, years ago. The prints used weren't especially good. Both sets are long out of print and go for ungodly sums on ebay and amazon.com. By the way, does anyone know if the missing footage was restored for the "War and Remembrance" dvd set or did they just put it out as originally aired?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It was put out as originally aired and when I went through both miniseries four years ago I was struck by how the narrative gaps stood out in Part 2 of "War and Remembrance." All that due to the fact that ratings for Part 1 were not spectacular and Curtis got desperate.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
If there is one miniseries that could use a DVD/Blu-Ray release, it is The Godfather Saga.

This was a 1977 re-editing of the first two Godfather films originally theatrically released in 1972 and 1974, with the violent scenes cut and the timeline events re-assembled so they are in chronological order, as well as adding footage previously unseen in those two films. On NBC, the Saga was broadcast as a nine-hour miniseries over four nights from November 12 to 15, 1977. Alternate titles for the Saga included The Godfather: A Novel for Television and The Godfather: The Complete Novel for Television.

The Saga was also available on VHS in 1981, further condensed and with the murder scenes restored, as The Godfather 1902-1959: The Complete Epic.

After the release of The Godfather: Part III in theaters in 1990, two years later, Paramount and Francis Ford Coppola updated the Saga to include events which took place in this third installment, and called it The Godfather Trilogy: 1901-1980.

~Ben

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Saga version was aired in HD on HBO within the past few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks