What's new

Ultraman on Netflix (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Netflix has brought the latest in the Ultraman saga...

For those not totally familiar, this series seems to directly fall after the original 1966 Ultraman. Hayata, from the SSSP (Science Patrol) crashes into a UFO which contained Ultraman, chasing Bemular across the sky. To save Hayata, Ultraman merges with Hayata. Using the Beta capsule, Hayata can now become Ultraman.

Ultraman is from "the land of light" and it is light which gives him his energy and power. In earth's atmosphere, his energy depletes rapidly. By the end of the series run, Ultraman was seemingly defeated and another Ultraman comes to earth to separate the defeated Ultraman from Hayata and take the defeated one back home. Hayata then returns to being fully human with no recollection of ever being Ultraman. The Netflix series picks up 15 years after that. I have the DVD which does have the original Japanese version (as well as English dub), and like Speed Racer, the original Japanese makes for a more compelling story.

Apparently, Ultraman is huge in Japan, going by this video which shows how many up through 2016...

I've never watched the others, just the original.

The Netflix series is excellent anime and well written. It is offered in the original Japanese 5.1 as well as English 5.1. I recommend the former.

That is my PSA for the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks