What's new

Why is there no My Fair Lady in streaming form (1 Viewer)

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
My Fair Lady is my favorite musical, but I prefer digital streaming on my Apple TV. It’s just easier for me. But two film favorites of mine are My Fair Lady and Pink Floyd’s The Wall. Why is there no release for these in digital streaming form.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
There are many titles unavailable for streaming, just as there are for any format. I'd love to own a digital copy of Young Frankenstein, for example.

The answer is... who really knows. Rights issues would be a good guess...

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
These are great arguments for physical media!

Not really.

It's a great argument for using whatever format allows you to see the movie you want to watch, because sometimes the opposite is the case and it's streaming that has the film.

Continuously going back to physical good streaming bad is lazy.

Last edited:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
The answer is... who really knows. Rights issues would be a good guess...

I looked it up on Wikipedia, which said that WB made the movie, but the rights went to CBS in 1971 (since CBS paid for the original Broadway production). So it's probably stuck somewhere in the CBS/Paramount/Viacom will-they-or-won't-they-remerge purgatory.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
These are great arguments for physical media!
I have several and I mean several film titles on HD digital that haven't been released on Blu-ray. With that said, we need to stop the non-value narrative that physical media is good while digital media is limited or vice versa. That false narrative doesn't do us any good at all. It really is senseless and most of us should be above it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I looked it up on Wikipedia, which said that WB made the movie, but the rights went to CBS in 1971 (since CBS paid for the original Broadway production). So it's probably stuck somewhere in the CBS/Paramount/Viacom will-they-or-won't-they-remerge purgatory.
That's what I'm thinking, it's a rights issue that will eventually work itself out. It will be interesting one way or another if it does or doesn't show up on Warner's streaming service.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Not really.

It's a great argument for using whatever format allows you to see the movie you want to watch, because sometimes the opposite is the case and it's streaming that has the film.

Continuously going back to physical good streaming bad is ignorant and lazy.
Are you so defensive of your opinions that the only defence you have is a personal attack?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Are you so defensive of your opinions that the only defence you have is a personal attack?

I didn't say anything that was personal.

My comments were only in regards to the broader debate on formats we have all been having for years, making the same point Robert did a few posts after.

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Fox has relatively few catalog titles available for streaming, including its Mel Brooks films.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Besides the Mel Brooks films, can you be more specific as I have several Fox catalog titles available digitally to stream?

There's a few Fox film noirs I would like digitally, like Kiss of Death, Street with No Name, Road House, etc

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
There's a few Fox film noirs I would like digitally, like Kiss of Death, Street with No Name, Road House, etc
Two others I couldn't find recently are ALL THAT JAZZ and THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS. It may not be a Fox issue; other rights holders may be involved. I have no stats to back up this feeling but in general Fox seems to be underrepresented on streaming.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Two others I couldn't find recently are ALL THAT JAZZ and THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS. It may not be a Fox issue; other rights holders may be involved. I have no stats to back up this feeling but in general Fox seems to be underrepresented on streaming.
I just went through my digital library and I have many Fox catalog titles in it going back to the 1930s. I will say that there are several titles not available, particularly, some film noirs, though some of that genre are present like Boomerang, Call Northside 777 and House on Telegraph Hill. I even have "Fallen Angel" that I bought on Amazon for $4.99 last year. It's not available to watch on iTunes nor Vudu, but I can watch it on Amazon. Go figure!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I just went through my digital library and I have many Fox catalog titles in it going back to the 1930s. I will say that there are several titles not available, particularly, some film noirs, though some of that genre are present like Boomerang, Call Northside 777 and House on Telegraph Hill. I even have "Fallen Angel" that I bought on Amazon for $4.99 last year. It's not available to watch on iTunes nor Vudu, but I can watch it on Amazon. Go figure!
Yea Amazon - That's one - you're on a roll :laugh:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMG_6392a.jpg

A agree with others a great argument for physical media.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks