What's new

Warner Archive - The Miracle (1959)???? (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
the Miracle (1959) was supposed to be restored and released a long time ago. I have not heard anything about this in a long time. What Gives???

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
the Miracle (1959) was supposed to be restored and released a long time ago. I have not heard anything about this in a long time. What Gives???

Was planned as the next Cinemiracle film title but shot in Technirama instead.

I'm guessing too much work is needed to restore it.

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
Warner Archives has been working on getting this film released for a t least a decade - currently the film is in limbo.

It is a beautiful looking film shot in Technirama & Technicolor and has a magnificent score by Elmer Bernstein.

It stars a fine cast headed by Carroll Baker, Roger Moore, Walter Slezak, Katina Paxinou & Vittorio Gassmann ..

Attachments

• The_Miracle-669236774-large.jpg
    The_Miracle-669236774-large.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 159
  • the-miracle-year-1959-usa-carroll-baker-roger-moore-director-irving-B7W65H.jpg
    the-miracle-year-1959-usa-carroll-baker-roger-moore-director-irving-B7W65H.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 101

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
The transfer that TCM has of THE MIRACLE is an absolutely travesty. I couldn't make it through it when it aired earlier this year.

I know - it comes from 1994 - in the dreaded pan and scan process. It is a real injustice to show cropped widescreen films anywhere, especially TCM. The same is true with THE BIG FISHERMAN from the same year - a horrible copy originally shown on the Disney channel in the 1980s!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I remember seeing it when it was released and even as a 10 year old, I found it heard to sit through.
Perhaps now I would appreciate the technical aspects as well as the score.
So unless it was an excellent transfer, it would be a miss.
It was apparently a bomb everywhere.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I remember seeing it when it was released and even as a 10 year old, I found it heard to sit through.
Perhaps now I would appreciate the technical aspects as well as the score.
So unless it was an excellent transfer, it would be a miss.
It was apparently a bomb everywhere.
I also saw it when it was first released and I too was still quite young. I don't remember much about the film but I do remember enjoying it. I'd love to see it again.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I know - it comes from 1994 - in the dreaded pan and scan process. It is a real injustice to show cropped widescreen films anywhere, especially TCM. The same is true with THE BIG FISHERMAN from the same year - a horrible copy originally shown on the Disney channel in the 1980s!

Yeah, you know your film's in trouble when even TCM can't show the film properly! I remember when they used to play Around the World in 80 Days (1956) before WB restored it; it was also panned-and-scanned and so muddled it was nearly unwatchable.

I've seen part of that Miracle print, too. It looks like an old 16mm print transferred to SD video.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw The Miracle in the full splendor of its first release. I thought it a dreadful film. I'd love to see it again to see whether I'd still feel the same. The TCM print is unwatchable so I turned it off right away.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Apparently I wasn't 10 when I saw it in the UK but 12
Discovered yesterday that it was so bad the UK release was held up to Boxing Day 1960 and I would have seen it in 1961 during the school holidays.
I seem to remember the posters screaming "See the battle of Waterloo" and then wondering why this famous battle was only fought between about a dozen soldiers!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Apparently I wasn't 10 when I saw it in the UK but 12
Discovered yesterday that it was so bad the UK release was held up to Boxing Day 1960 and I would have seen it in 1961 during the school holidays.
I seem to remember the posters screaming "See the battle of Waterloo" and then wondering why this famous battle was only fought between about a dozen soldiers!
I was a few years older and remember it quite well. I thoroughly enjoyed it - but there’s no accounting for taste!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks