What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Patrick Melrose -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don't know why people seem to have a discomfort with Benedict Cumberbatch.

He's been around since the early aughts.

I thought he was quite good in The Imitation Game. After that he fell victim to the Marvel world of special effects.

His television work, especially Sherlock, is appealing, although personally my favorite Sherlock will always be William Gillette. Possibly it was unique way that he'd say "Come along, Watson..."

With Patrick Melrose, in which he plays the title character, a seven part mini-series on Showtime, released here via Acorn, he shows his acting chops, alongside a wonderful cast, in a series that follows the character from childhood to adult.

Patrick Melrose is one of the programs that is best left undiscussed, although in short the man carries quite a bit of pyschological baggage with him.

Shot with an Arri Alexa, the shows have a unique color palette, via James Friend, that seems to work. You'll get used to it.

Based upon the novels by Edward St. Aubyn, it's a series that I set out for your delectation and discussion.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Dear Robert: regarding your 'discomfort' comment - gee, I don't know. He's obviously a great actor, but - and I hope Mr. Cumberbatch will forgive me, a rather 'odd' looking man who reminds me (again, please forgive) of that moment in the original Men in Black when the farmer, having been taken over by the bug, pulls back the skin on his face from the back of his head.

That said, I can still enjoy Mr. Cumberbatch's work as a qualified thespian who distinctly knows his craft and isn't afraid to unfurl it's potency in full flourish for the crowds when the material is as good as his talent. But hey, in America we tend to view talent second to good looks which again, tragically, he lacks. So, Mr. Cumberbatch continues to get plum character roles that do not require him to be considered 'leading man' material per say, although he quite obviously can carry that load blind-folded.

Re: your comment about preferring William Gillette as Sherlock Holmes. For me, it will always be Basil Rathbone who typified the Sidney Paget drawings in the original novels as though Paget had had Rathbone in mind for the template all along. Elementary, my dear Watson - or just uncanny kismet run amok. Anyway, love Gillette too.

PS - will have to pick up Patrick Melrose as I am always 'in' for a quality affair. This sounds like one.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I've never had a discomfort with BC. I think he's quite marvelous as Dr. Strange and think the films are really quite good.

I also enjoyed this series as well.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've never been a fan of Cumberbatch either (maybe because I didn't like his Sherlock Holmes) but he was excellent in "Patrick Melrose"; in fact the whole series was brilliantly made. I saw it on TV when first broadcast but didn't realise there was a Blu-ray; it's only available in the UK on DVD - which frequently happens with TV material.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
although personally my favorite Sherlock will always be William Gillette. Possibly it was unique way that he'd say "Come along, Watson..."
Mr. Gilette's way of saying "Come along, Watson" was indeed unique, and purely gestural, as it was done in a 1916 silent film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks