What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Mississippi Burning (redux) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Alan Parker is a British born filmmaker, who has been directing on these shores since the unusual, but wonderful, Bugsy Malone, back in 1976.

His work has been quality-driven, and interesting enough to warrant a CBE, back in his native land.

I've been a huge fan, forever.

Think about what's he's given us:

Midnight Express
Fame
Shoot the Moon
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Birdy
The Commitments
The Road to Wellville
Evita
Angela's Ashes

and the subject of these few words, Mississippi Burning.

Why is it that some of the most interesting films about life here in the Colonies, have not been directed by Colonists?

1964. Racial turmoil. The olde South seemingly unchanged since the post-Civil War era.

The FBI arrives in the form of Willem Dafoe and Gene Hackman.

I've never seen the film look this good. A new quality scan, courtesy of Fox, released via Kino Lorber.

Grab a copy, and be immersed.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from previous Blu-ray - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Better than the TT release? I did have some issues with some dark scenes showing specks. Don't forget ANGEL HEART.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Any bonus materials on the Kino edition? The TT, while a great transfer, was pretty bare bones.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]I've never seen the film look this good. A new quality scan, courtesy of Fox, released via Kino Lorber.

Grab a copy, and be immersed.
Just as I had hoped to read.
Glad to have had the TT edition, but this review locks it in for me.
After all, when done right, there's nothing finer than a cinematography Oscar winner that's received a 4K scan.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Any bonus materials on the Kino edition? The TT, while a great transfer, was pretty bare bones.
No, it won’t have anything. But I made a disc of bonus material for this film. I’ll
Send you a copy gratis, if you’d like. It has about 5 hours worth of bonus material on it.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I enjoyed the film but not the inaccuracies in the film:

"In dealing with the FBI's role in the case, Parker takes the film far from fact. He fails to note that the Bureau had not done much in the South to protect blacks, or that its director, Herbert Hoover, viewed the civil rights movement suspiciously (the dialogue does, however, mention Hoover's belief that Martin Luther King was under the influence of communists). The movie's portrayal of FBI agents abandoning legal techniques and adopting tactics of deceit and intimidation stretches truth to the breaking point. It borrows ideas from the Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood films to argue that the extra-legal strategies of a virile FBI agent finally brought law and order to Mississippi. Furthermore, it suggests that the appearance of numerous FBI agents in Mississippi provoked the summer of arson, shootings and beatings when, in fact, the invasion of college students through the "Freedom Summer" project was the real provocation."

This accurately captures the issues with the film. While it does capture the sense of terror of the time and it's dramatically quite good, the inaccuracies bother me quite a bit.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
"In dealing with the FBI's role in the case, Parker takes the film far from fact. He fails to note that the Bureau had not done much in the South to protect blacks, or that its director, Herbert Hoover, viewed the civil rights movement suspiciously (the dialogue does, however, mention Hoover's belief that Martin Luther King was under the influence of communists). The movie's portrayal of FBI agents abandoning legal techniques and adopting tactics of deceit and intimidation stretches truth to the breaking point. It borrows ideas from the Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood films to argue that the extra-legal strategies of a virile FBI agent finally brought law and order to Mississippi. Furthermore, it suggests that the appearance of numerous FBI agents in Mississippi provoked the summer of arson, shootings and beatings when, in fact, the invasion of college students through the "Freedom Summer" project was the real provocation."

This accurately captures the issues with the film. While it does capture the sense of terror of the time and it's dramatically quite good, the inaccuracies bother me quite a bit.[/QUOTE]

"Herbert Hoover" is bothering me now. :)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
While it’s a strong dramatic film, it isn’t the best telling of that horrible story. And even though it changed names and other elements, the 2-part TV production from the 1970’s “Attack on Terror: The FBI vs the Ku Klux Klan” is overall a more accurate depiction of the story. Coincidentally, the murder of the 3 civil rights workers took place 55 years ago yesterday night.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I enjoyed the film but not the inaccuracies in the film:

This accurately captures the issues with the film. While it does capture the sense of terror of the time and it's dramatically quite good, the inaccuracies bother me quite a bit.

Although it was based on the “Freedom Summer” murders of Chaney, Goodwin and Schwerner, It wasn’t supposed to be 100% accurate.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
While it’s a strong dramatic film, it isn’t the best telling of that horrible story. And even though it changed names and other elements, the 2-part TV production from the 1970’s “Attack on Terror: The FBI vs the Ku Klux Klan” is overall a more accurate depiction of the story. Coincidentally, the murder of the 3 civil rights workers took place 55 years ago yesterday night.
They weren’t going for accuracy. Not this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks