What's new

The Owl & The Pussycat Unedited? (1 Viewer)

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Does anyone know if the unedited version is available anywhere on DVD or Blu-Ray? I'm talking about the scene with the F-bomb.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Does anyone know if the unedited version is available anywhere on DVD or Blu-Ray? I'm talking about the scene with the F-bomb.

Not as far as I know. I believe that was only available on vhs (and betamax). Hopefully if it makes a much-needed appearance on blu-ray, it will be the unedited version. Yes, it’s only one line, but it really makes the scene.

Reactions: PMF

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Not as far as I know. I believe that was only available on vhs (and betamax). Hopefully if it makes a much-needed appearance on blu-ray, it will be the unedited version. Yes, it’s only one line, but it really makes the scene.
Yes, It does.

Reactions: PMF

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Let me understand this - you're saying the F bomb was actually heard in the theatrical release? Because I'm not quite understanding how it would then be edited out for home video - there would be no reason at all for that.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Let me understand this - you're saying the F bomb was actually heard in the theatrical release? Because I'm not quite understanding how it would then be edited out for home video - there would be no reason at all for that.

Exactly. It’s a head scratcher. It was uncut on the vhs & beta editions, and cut from the later dvd. And it’s not likely to be an edited for TV version, as there are still curse words left in that definitely would have been edited out or overdubbed when it made its debut on network TV back in the early 70s. Only Streisand’s F bomb joke to Tom Atkins is cut. Not only does it kill the joke, but the scene no longer makes sense.

UPDATE: I just read that the film was edited to get a PG rating for a re-release in 1972 and this is the version on the dvd. Not sure if this is accurate, but it makes sense.

Last edited:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr

It was in the theatrical release. It was a real shocker -- first because you didn't hear that word in movies very often back then. Second - It was Barbra Streisand saying it. It was amusing, but the situation in the film could have gone from bad to worse. Fortunately it did not.

Don't know about home video.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
It was cut to a GP (as it was called then) around '72 or '73 so it could be reissued as a double feature with FUNNY GIRL, which was a G. When it was first preserved by Sony some years back, I asked if it was the full R-rated version. Turns out they were unaware that it had been edited. Research told them that there were in fact four cuts made to get the lesser rating. They then began looking for the trims, but I'm unaware if they ever found them.

Mike S.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I remember this scene in the theatrical version, it is also on the record of the sound track which I bought when the movie came out. This soundtrack is mostly dialogue, and I don’t think it was ever on CD, although I made my own.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
It was in the theatrical release. It was a real shocker -- first because you didn't hear that word in movies very often back then. Second - It was Barbra Streisand saying it. It was amusing, but the situation in the film could have gone from bad to worse. Fortunately it did not.

Don't know about home video.
I saw it in the theater, and the audience went nuts at that line. I also have the Celebrity Skin mag with the nude scene. She was adorable.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've just seen the HD version of this on Amazon but unfortunately Sony have still not re-instated Streisand's cut dialogue which was on the theatrical release (which I saw at the time). It seems that Sony had not realised that previous DVD versions were sourced from the edited theatrical reissue but they have had time by now to correct the error. It's a pity to lose the line because without it, the preceding dialogue between Streisand and Segal about the importance of expressing oneself clearly, loses it's relevance and the subsequent chase makes little sense.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Decades ago I had the Japanese laserdisc.....It was the R rated version. Barbra saying the expletive .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks